Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken Ross Bentley as my driving guru like many many others.

Ross makes you faster immediately by just reading his material online and applying it.

For anyone with road course desires or auto x

if you can invest in his online speed secrets all for he better.
Father's Day is around and for ladies and mum's road coursing on week ends, as creators of life you deserve a gift everyday.... So no reasons not to have it.

I follow Ross on tweeter and Facebook. Really a great guy. Sharing lots of insights.

Here is one on hand positions on the steering wheel.

I have always been a big supporter and user of the 9-3.

Enjoy. This one is free. Other material is under copyrights so you need to buy

https://speedsecrets.com/driving-tips/drive-faster-by-turning-your-steering-wheel-properly/

ODP

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
"if you need to turn the wheel more than you’re able to with 9 & 3, then you’re either driving the wrong line, or you’re not looking far enough ahead, and you’re not planning ahead."

Very well said.
Humans are creatures of habits. Once you get used to doing things a certain way it's hard to start over again the proper way.
Road course racing is a sport and in any sport learning the proper techniques from the beginning is crucial.
I just wish when I started 3.5 years ago I would of educated myself more and taken instructions. Instead, I learned most of the things the hard way. So much to learn in this sport it's unbelievable. Driver mod is #1.
Thanks for sharing that @O_Racing.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the go kart track I shaved 4 seconds and on the Brooklyn bridge entry I went from 55 to 71mph exit track out speed and the FDR underpass is now almost a triple digit at 90 mph sweeper. I start to make he tire screech which is indication of friction limits.

If you buy into Ross Bentley be aware that there is a disclosure which is you will be MUCH faster but also if sh?t gets out of control then you will have that much more work to save yourself and your car

I have reached my limits for the street and I feel no longer safe trying this Ross stuff on deserted DOT streets.

My last ticket was a 1000 dollars so I could have bought a roll cage for that stupid money.

Even on the track I am now looking into buying a cheap piece of crap I can race so I can work on my driving

Tossing my challenger upside down with a roll cage is not in my mantra

ODP

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Does Ross offer recovery tips/guidance in case the pooh hits the fan. I've always learned to drive within your limits and the vehicle's. And its really important to know what the vehicle limits are (even though they can change at a moments notice....)?

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does Ross offer recovery tips/guidance in case the pooh hits the fan. I've always learned to drive within your limits and the vehicle's. And its really important to know what the vehicle limits are (even though they can change at a moments notice....)?
Ross has an entire book so while he makes you faster as a main priority I am sure in some text he addresses it.

at Skip Barber Racing school I learned the "Method" or the "Procedure" as they call it.

crashing a car, spinning is avoidable most of the time until of course the race, the emotions and the non predictable debris on the track or the tire blow puts everything into the exception dimension

Skip Barber strongly disagree with the necessity of a spin to find the limits; they think there is nothing to learn when your ass is going backward to the wall; like Skip says: "so what? you look at rpm needle where it got stuck or the speedometer if there is one? there is only one conclusion, we were too fast. well what did we learn from that? nothing!" he says.

for me it makes sense so I follow this principle

curves of a track are like a woman's body; you need to go step by step, study the landscape, otherwise you will not be classified as a good lover but rather as a guy who races to the finish without care; in both cases in racing your and in loving, you might find yourself in a bind

"Going Faster" is an amazing book from the Skip Barber racing school;
buy it for father's day and take on the read;

it is intense, but with a coach who can put this in perspective for you, you will become a much better driver than you already are

all beginners will try to shave time by going deeper before corner entry as I did in my last track day like a fkin beginner I am. (so mad at myself...)

running no ABS, no traction control I had no notion of what my threshold braking was on the challenger with a boosted brake system....and let me tell you I learned that it comes quick!!! so you need to be gentle!!!

brake boosters are your worst enemy for sensing the most important part of your car; at the end it is a street vehicle so you need to live with it.... and the SRT Brembo brake calipers are REALLY efficient on floating rotors and race pads... scary efficient!!

on stock SRT brakes I think with the heat it will help not lock the wheels so early so it might be an advantage when learning how to brake in track conditions; "squeeze hard, and quickly, do not slam", this is the moto here

the procedure is about threshold braking and defining if the turns needs it first of all; so at each lap the start the braking a bit later and a bit later and a bit later until you start to lock before you can make the turn at the entry speed the car can take given its G limits

remember what Ross says: "go into a corner fast and exit even faster";

so if you are going so deep in braking that the car is going off the trajectory to the apex or it delays your point of throttle application to maximize corner exit speed then you went into fast, you blew the line and you missed on being faster on track out

getting to your point (apologies for the LONG intro), when you spin out of control (or when you drive on a track to make your best lap time) YOUR EYES and WHERE YOU PLACE them, is one of the KEY ESSENTIAL elements to be faster and/or avoid the wall

so when the car goes with the ass first, first you will correct with steering so not freaking out and not over correcting is important;

KEEP YOUR EYES WHERE YOU WANT TO GO and don't look where you are going
because guess what, this is not where you want to go!!

for once all coaches at NASA, SCCA, Skip Barber ALL AGREE with the above so this what they teach you in school

they all agree that keeping your eyes where you want to go will keep on sending the correct information to your brain and thus your brain will operate feet, hands and limbs on pedals and steering wheel to make you go the direction you want to go;

at Thompson Speedway i did a big spin under the bridge next to the walls; I wanted to show the IMSA/SCCA Pro Series race driver as my passenger I could drive too,,,,lol

entered the left turn at 93, too fast, slammed braking to correct with a bit of steering, rear became light, spin started, lifted all feet from pedals, I was in 3rd on 20 inch rims, with 315s in the back and 275s front... at Skip Barber they call that a "sphincter tightening moment"

...counter lock right, direction of car correcting, but rear tires are now grabbing again and the driveline is engaged in 3rd so now the car throws us back into the right into the wall under the bridge, so now counter lock left (the fastest of my entire life...) and the car now steers away from the wall as all tires are now grabbing the asphalt, exit speed 55 mph, a bit off the apex (LOL) but away from the walls, car saved, apologies to my passenger, congrats from him for a great recovery, and thumbs up later at debrief from grand-pa with his mustang who saw it all before his eyes behind me

did I look once where I wanted to go? no! why? because these were my first days of track so I had not learned, read or school much about the topic

the point I want to make above is:

First the BOTH FEET IN method is only when you have lost total control and you are going ass or tits first into the wall and please keep both hands on the steering wheel; this is not NASCAR...

Second IF THE TIRES GRAB AGAIN and they will at one point, they will throw the car in the exact direction where you will have the steering wheel pointed to, so be prepared!!!!

on that same day at the same track, a PWC/Spec E46 BMW M3 crashed into a wall for this exact reason;

he went with 2 wheels onto the grass; then corrected, tires came back onto the asphalt, they grabbed and they threw the 250,000 USD race car into the wall exactly into the direction the steering wheel was pointed too;

oh sure he used the brakes when he saw the wall but that was too late at this point

car totaled, all occupants fine, driver... ashamed....

ODP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts