Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A 2015 Lamboghini Huracan is currently for sale, on E-Bay, for $130K. Present offers are for $100K.

What is the catch? It was a rental from Royalty Exotic Cars, in Las Vegas, and has 188,000 hard miles on the odometer. Oh, it also has been driven by almost 2,000 drivers.

If you had the money, would you buy it?

The original MSRP of this 602 hp. supercar was $237,250.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Depending upon options that could be a $300K car when new. While one might buy it for $130K (which I'm not convinced it should even sell for that much) it will cost like a $300K for servicing and repairs and insurance.

·
Super Moderator
15,555 Posts
No - I don't want to think about what replacement parts would be on a Lamborghini - even though the V10 is shared with Audi (R8) and other mechanical there may be "Lamborghini" levels of prices for these.

The high miles on a 5 model year old car are 3x what average usage would be.

and as friends in the collector business said: "there's no such thing as a cheap Ferrari to buy"

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'd be surprised if the $100k bidder completed the purchase. You can buy a Gallardo Superleggera for that kind of Money with almost no miles on it.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
216 Posts
I'd have some questions, and this is why

Last year I raced a red Huracan exactly like this for 7 laps around a 1.3 mile road coarse just south of Fort Worth (Pic below is me from that day).

There's a company here called DriveXotic that's attached to a road coarse and kind of a 'car' country club. My Father-in-Law and I both got a father's day gift to race an exotic through this company. I originally chose a McLaren but it was down that day so instead took out the red Huracan. My Father-in-Law chose the Porsche GT3.

Their whole business is selling 4 and 7 lap experiences in cars like these. So they spend most of their life driven HARD by lots of amateurs (me included). The experience was an absolute BLAST! I loved it. My first time on a road coarse taking turns harder than I ever have, hitting the brakes hard, topping 100 mile an hour speeds (and this track doesn't have a very long straight away). In fact, my father-in-law loved it so much he wants to pay for us to go out again this summer if it opens back up.

Anyway, there's a company that does the same in Vegas. and 1900 drivers in 5 years? That averages 1 per day, maybe more depending the exact age. No rental is out every single day, that means there had to be a bunch of days where multiple people drove it. Or, a better explanation, this car was actually part of a program like the one I did. In which case I would definitely stay away from this one. And I LOVE Lamborghini's. It's the only non-Mopar I've ever considered or wanted to own. Although Lee did make a deal for Lamborghini and it was technically under the Chrysler umbrella for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
13,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No - I don't want to think about what replacement parts would be on a Lamborghini - even though the V10 is shared with Audi (R8) and other mechanical there may be "Lamborghini" levels of prices for these.

The high miles on a 5 model year old car are 3x what average usage would be. and as friends in the collector business said: "there's no such thing as a cheap Ferrari to buy"
You're right. In season 3 of Gas Monkey Garage, Richard Rawlings bought a wrecked 1991 Ferrari F40 for $400,000 and spent an incredible $295,000 to restore it. He couldn't believe the cost of Ferrari parts. After it was reborn in 40 days with modern tech, the black F40 was auctioned off for $742,500, with baseball star Reggie Jackson placing the winning bid.

It later switched hands as Richard Scott, a Santa Monica parking lot operator, took the Ferrari F40 home after parting with $643,500. However, the F40 finally ended up with a US government warehouse after Scott pleaded guilty to conspiracy and wire fraud charges last year after scamming the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs out of $13 million.

After an intense online battle, the Fast N’ Loud F40 got a winning government auction bid of $760,000. What made it interesting was that Rawlings wanted the car back for his personal collection, but was unsuccessful.

·
Super Moderator
15,555 Posts
Especially an F40 the next model would be the Enzo which is mega-bucks.

I recall that episode, its was certified by Ferrari as meeting their standards for a rebuild. There were 1,315 built and that many years ago - how many spare parts would exist any more after all those years?

For reference the Enzo models had a run of 400

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would not buy that one, but (if I have the $$), would buy a new one. 188K hard miles, that's better testament than a Camry with 300K miles driven granny style.

That's getting your money's worth to log that many miles.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,770 Posts
Ironically, probably not a lot of hard launches as most wouldn't be able to figure out how to turn traction control off :p

A Guy

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a very good friend that buys exotic cars and to resell for a profit he does pretty good, mainly he gets his cars from big cities for example in Miami, they are way cheaper cus there are a lot, he says there a lot of used lambos and other exotic cars and since they are a lot they have much lower prices, I guess to make a sell due to the competition. He says most of them are from trade in with less than 30k miles from rich folks who don’t care about taking a loss they just want a new lambo, most of them all dealer service lambo again rich folks got the money. He typically gets get 50k to 70k under KBB, he also hunts for Exotic that have been on lots for a long time, dealers are motivated to get them out. They have to pay every day for that car that is their lot. So i May suggest try out of state with rich folks like he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,555 Posts
There was an article about that Lambo - something about 2000 different people rented that vehicle.

I imagine there's a good amount of wear & tear on the driver's seat - certainly the foam padding at the least

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have a very good friend that buys exotic cars and to resell for a profit he does pretty good, mainly he gets his cars from big cities for example in Miami, they are way cheaper cus there are a lot, he says there a lot of used lambos and other exotic cars and since they are a lot they have much lower prices, I guess to make a sell due to the competition. He says most of them are from trade in with less than 30k miles from rich folks who don’t care about taking a loss they just want a new lambo, most of them all dealer service lambo again rich folks got the money. He typically gets get 50k to 70k under KBB, he also hunts for Exotic that have been on lots for a long time, dealers are motivated to get them out. They have to pay every day for that car that is their lot. So i May suggest try out of state with rich folks like he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll keep that in mind. :)

I suppose that's like people not wanting to buy used cars from states that use salt on the roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts