Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black R/T with the chrome-clad 20" wheels and (I think) 245/45R20's.

I've been looking around for a set of black wheels preferably of the SRT8 look. Problem is I'm overwhelmed with the number of variables that seem to come into play when searching for aftermarket wheels and tires. Backspacing, offset, clearance, whether the wheel will stick out etc....

Would anyone be willing to give a brief rundown of exactly what I need to be looking for if I'm only wanting to replace the wheels and maybe the tires and have no fitment issues? I'd like to stick with 20's and may eventually want to drop the car an inch or so. A wider tire would look great too so I'm wondering how wide I can go? Also, is it true you can mount the same width tire to a variety of different rim widths? I found a link today that seemed to suggest that. For instance, a 245 mounted to rims between 7.5" and 9". If this is the case, what would be the point of the wider rim if the look will be exactly the same since the width of the rubber is unchanged?

Anyways, I'd be grateful for any help understanding all this! I'm basically looking for 20" black SRT-style rims with some noticeably wider rubber with zero fitment issues.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
First you need to understand the terminology.
Regrettably, wheel manufacturers are using the term "Offset".
"Backspace" is a much better term, because it is what it is.

And wouldn't you know that things have become so confusing that you can buy a 9" wide wheel with an offset of +18mm. They inform you the width of the wheel in the English System (inches) and then give you the wheel's offset in the Metric System (millimeters).

On my Magnum I have 18" wheels that are 9" wide with an offset of +18mm. This calculates to a backspace of 5.21". I have no clearance issues on either the front or rear. The tires are almost flush with outside of the wheel wells. (The Magnum, 300, Charger, and Challenger have the same wheels constraints)

I have 255/55x18 tires on the front. The 9" wide rim leaves no sidewall bulge.
On the rear I have Mickey Thompson 28.00x12.00-18 tires (that is nearly equivalent to a 305/40x18 tire) Note: the old tire designation was much easier to see what you were buying. The MT was 28" in diameter, 12" tread width, and fit an 18" wheel.

I have seen 255/55x18's on the stock R/T 18"x7.5" wheel. There is a rather large bulge on the sidewall on that width rim with those tires.

This is just a start to understanding wheels and tires. There is much more to be learned. Others will post more info over the next few days.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

So basically choosing between rim widths, when talking about the same tire, comes down to how much sidewall overhang you want? Wider rim=less bulge? I'd like to get another inch and a half or so of rubber on the ground if possible.

Also, can the pressure monitoring sensors be taken from the stock wheels and put on the new ones? Or is it worth the money to have the vendor install them before shipping? Will the car recognize and work with the new sensors?

·
Registered
461 Posts
If the wheels inner rim accommodates the TPM element there will be no operational problems.

Some tires give a rim width recommendation for best operation.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You could always just black chrome the stock SRT wheels. It was the easiest and best looking option (IMO).

·
Registered
280 Posts
You could always just black chrome the stock SRT wheels. It was the easiest and best looking option (IMO).
I'm thinking of doing this to my Magnum. Have you got example pics? They sell DIY kits to do this...are they any good?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts