Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas. So, we've been having fun, but I'm a little lost as to where to start. Opinions are like ............., everyone has one I know, but what should I do performance wise, that won't void the factory warranty and not cost me a gazillion dollars? Where do I start on a 2013 manual? CAI, tuner, etc...what did you do first?

Ready, Set, GO!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
What do you want it to do? Go faster? Handle better? Sound better? Look better? (This part is very subjective)

I know like most of us here that you want to make it "your CHALLENGER". Where and how far do you want to go?

You have a lot of options. Are you ready? It'll go nearly as fast as you have money for!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deranged,
First and foremost, handling. I feel like it floats in curves, I want a quicker jump off the line, faster absolutely, I don't like the long shift pattern. Interior and exterior mods I've already figured out. Does that help?

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I had an RT...

That did not feel like a "floater" in turns (my previous cars were VW GTI and Mini S). The RT had Super Track Pac. If you don't have it, get it, or something like it. Bilstein shocks, bigger F/R sway bars, better brake pads. That should fix you up. If you want still better haddling, get F/R strut braces.

As for power: Get a performance tune and Long tube headers (maybe 20-25 HP gain). CAI won't do anything but look cool. If you want more, get a Supercharger.

As for CAM's, I wouldn't recommed them. Others would. See this thread, it covers tuning, cams, exhaust, etc: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/any-vendors-willing-guarantee-their-cams-hp-gains-151249/

·
Super Moderator
15,104 Posts
Suspension: springs, sway bars, shocks, or coil-overs (more $$)

Shifter: Hurst short throw (rec. the G&K mod)

Power: lots of ways to go, depends on budget. CMR tuning is a good first step which will work with further mods (cam, exhaust and so forth).

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'd do a tuner & exhaust for a little rumble. Add some stage 1 springs for a little better stance & handling.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Is it a base R/T or does it have Track Pack or does it have Super Track Pack? Gotta know where you are starting from.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Is it a base R/T or does it have Track Pack or does it have Super Track Pack? Gotta know where you are starting from.
+10. Exactly what version of the car you're working with is always the first thing to specify. The second is what exactly you want to improve. And the third, what your budget is. Otherwise threads like, "I want to go faster" or "I want better handling" all sound like this to me (not to inject any extra kinkiness):

So it's best to do a lot of soul searching and budgeting to define all the parameters, then follow up with thoughtful homework (lurking) for ideas, and finally to ask pointed questions for clarifications. Otherwise answers will be all over the place because 'enough HP' or 'great handling' are extremely subjective concepts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Okay, told you guys I'm new to American new muscle.....it is an R/T base. I don't have any track pack. As for clarifications,,,,,I've had him only a few weeks, I travel in my line of. Work, so I've only driven him 4 times, longest was a 6 hour trip. I already want a short throw shifter. It's hard for me to clarify, because the car was a gift from a client, so....that is why I'm LOST right now.

As for money, I was focusing on the Diablosport trinity tuner. I like the sound of him, the baffles have been removed, so. I'm looking at spending 3-600 at a time, bi monthly, BUT I do not want to do anything that voids the factory warranty.

LOL, kinkyness, must of read my intro.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Muscle upgrades are expensive...

Okay, told you guys I'm new to American new muscle.....it is an R/T base. I don't have any track pack. As for clarifications,,,,,I've had him only a few weeks, I travel in my line of. Work, so I've only driven him 4 times, longest was a 6 hour trip. I already want a short throw shifter. It's hard for me to clarify, because the car was a gift from a client, so....that is why I'm LOST right now.

As for money, I was focusing on the Diablosport trinity tuner. I like the sound of him, the baffles have been removed, so. I'm looking at spending 3-600 at a time, bi monthly, BUT I do not want to do anything that voids the factory warranty.

LOL, kinkyness, must of read my intro.
...That is because the bigger V8 motors tend NOT to respond as well to "quick aftermarket bolt on" upgrades as "ricers" and "tunermobiles" do. (The RT has very efficient intake/exhaust.) On the "flip side,"...you now get to experience...TORQUE (Q). And Q is what "slams you in the seat," during launch. Q is FUN. Anyway, as a former tuner, I'd focus on suspension upgrades for the base RT. Sway bars, upgraded Brake pads, lower springs. Take 1/2 of your projected budget, and stash it away for a supercharger (approx. $7-8K, not including installation/tune).

A few years from now...you will own an "Agile Fire Breathing Dragon." Hang on to the RT. The "retro muscle" era is ending. Big V8's will become less common. Your car has a "timeless design." Gearheads will always want a platform like a Challenger to work on/build. Keep it long enough, and it will be valuable long AFTER current "Tuners" are long FORGOTTEN.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts