1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after my 15 SRT was totaled by Geico,
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/moment-silence-please-602410/
and I went the route of determining that a Hellcat wasn't the right choice for me, I began the search for a leftover 2016 Go Mango SRT. I found one with the options I wanted at Autonation Dodge in Katy, TX. They had it discounted from 53,480 to 43,999. Car had been on the lot for more than 365 days. I don't claim to know the details of how FCA gives money back to dealers on these cars or how the rebates (even on SRT's) work to reduce the price, but I know that price has those included.

So anyway the car was a 15 SRT, Go Mango, Laguna with tech package, black stripes and all season tires. When I went to look at it, I of course immediately went to the performance page screens on the center cluster. 0-60 best time was recorded at 4.6 sec and top speed was 121 mph. Oh did I forget to mention that there was only 144 miles on the car? Bingo, SRT recommended break in procedure was not followed. I know a car being on the lot over a year is going to have some miles on it, but my 2015 was custom built for me and I followed the break in procedure. Also there was a chunk out of the stripe on the front of the car. I know that there are those that think you break in an engine how you want to operate it, but I dont think that's some porters or salesman's decision on a new 40k+ car.

So I think I have some negotiating space on their price. Offer them 43 for the car and I would sign right there. They flatly deny any issue with my concerns and say that's as low as they would go. The salesman says the GM told him.... "He's going to trade all the 16's to another dealer to get one of their Demon allocations". That's really when things get HOT! I ask him why do I care about his Demon allocation so he can pump 25K out of someone who wants one. I point to his row of 6 Hellcats, both 16 and 17's sitting outside all covered in birdshit and tell him, to do better or I'm out of there. We go back and forth and they only come off 200 bucks getting me out the door at 47k and I reluctantly agree. Car wasn't clean at all so I arrange to finish the deal this coming Friday and leave to head home.

I was Headed to Whitehead Motorsports to Talk to Cody and Daniel about getting my mods put on the new car, and the whole ride back home I just keep seething about that Demon comment and the condition of the SRT and the Hellcats that they obviously didn't care about at all. I called back and killed the deal and went to my local guys at Tomball Dodge. They have a Go Mango with a sunroof, Suede, tech package and performance tires. That MSRP was a little more than the other but they split the difference on that and there putting on stripes for me. I may be paying a little more, but at least I'm dealing with guys that have always treated me well and respect the SRT brand for the special and unique animal that it is.

Pictures coming on Friday!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats Bob, I love go mango, and am happy for you on your new Challenger! Dealing with a bad dealer is one of the worst experiences and walking away was smart.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
Many have high mph on performance pages which actually was due to bench testing of the dash cluster and not the vehicle actually going that fast.
Always better to deal with a local dealer and have a relationship than to get that wow price and having service issues later on when they play the didn't buy it here drama. Yes they have to service it but no it doesn't have to be serviced immediately or done to favor you. My dealer said even "good will" repair money goes to their customers first always.
Pictures when you get it and best of luck with it.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Torred
153 Posts
Good for you bro. Don't settle. Especially with customer service.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
It's a financial transaction, period and once you lose your cool or show any emotion they pounce and it's game over. If you treat it as an appliance and your only connection is by cash outlay then you're still in the game. They are well schooled in their craft and keep running back to their boss as he won't stray and keeps the sales guy on course. If you travel a distance or say nobody else has this car appointed like this, BINGO, they know they have something you really want.
My friend couldn't care about any car except that it gets him to work then back home and sitting there it's fun watching them squirm as they can never bait him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only problem with what you're saying Yellow Jacket 2012, and I agree with everything you stated, is that the salesman KNOW that buying a Challenger in the first place is an emotional decision, for it is not just a car to get from point A to B. so they have you half roped in from the start and it is an emotional tug of war thereafter. However, your advice is what I follow with every car purchase I've made and it works. Just get up and leave if they don't meet your price, and they'll follow...

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many have high mph on performance pages which actually was due to bench testing of the dash cluster and not the vehicle actually going that fast.
I have heard that but my 15 had a speed of 45 mph on the screen with 4 miles on the clock. I know that this was accurate. The 0-60 wasn't there from any cluster testing.

They realized that I could walk away, and know it now for sure. I wanted what I wanted, but didn't let them know I have been an owner until the haggling was done. In a way I think that might have hurt me because I told them a friend told me how to check the performance page and soon realized that I know more about that car than any of the sales guys on their floor. You really set them up to say some pretty stupid things.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
Don't be so certain, two examples here, my brother in law left his 7 series BMW at the dealer for service, they moved and parked the car which was hit by the ups truck. Me or you would have a bunch of crap to deal with and pay for, no him because when you have money things change for you. The dealer had to fix the car to his liking (very picky) at their expense so not his insurance and while the car was gone, two payment dates came and not only did he get another 7 series while his was being repaired he got them to make those two car payments too where you and I would be told to pound sand.
Next story is my friend who like my brother in law is a high income earner and lives extremely nicely took me with him to buy his 2015 hellcat not long after they first came out and were hot, he sat there and played his position very well and we left with the car that day for sticker and zero markup. We left the car trailer in a lot around the corner.
All they asked was he took a loan with them so they could make a few bucks from their bank and then he could either use his own back or pay it off but by the next month they'd have received their cut which is what he did.
They were fair so for that he went along.
So if any car was hot that one was especially in 2015 and he got his way anyway.
You're still getting a sweet car no matter what.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't be so certain, two examples here, my brother in law left his 7 series BMW at the dealer for service, they moved and parked the car which was hit by the ups truck. Me or you would have a bunch of crap to deal with and pay for, no him because when you have money things change for you. The dealer had to fix the car to his liking (very picky) at their expense so not his insurance and while the car was gone, two payment dates came and not only did he get another 7 series while his was being repaired he got them to make those two car payments too where you and I would be told to pound sand.
Next story is my friend who like my brother in law is a high income earner and lives extremely nicely took me with him to buy his 2015 hellcat not long after they first came out and were hot, he sat there and played his position very well and we left with the car that day for sticker and zero markup. We left the car trailer in a lot around the corner.
All they asked was he took a loan with them so they could make a few bucks from their bank and then he could either use his own back or pay it off but by the next month they'd have received their cut which is what he did.
They were fair so for that he went along.
So if any car was hot that one was especially in 2015 and he got his way anyway.
You're still getting a sweet car no matter what.
I agree with everything you are saying, with the right positioning you can make great deals, being patient and level is the key. The biggest issue with the dealer in question was their attitude and in my humble opinion, their lack of respect for what isn't the next hot thing. The SRT brand in my opinion is "Special and Unique" and deserves respect. Like you say 2 years ago a Hellcat had ropes around it in a showroom and you couldn't even touch them much less drive it. Everybody knew that they were going to be a lot of them and that wasn't going to last. That's how they were advertised. As a muscle car for the masses.
Now these guys treat them like any other car and they got guys running out for lunch with them, covered in birdshit and love bugs.

Cant wait till Friday for the new ride!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats from one new Go Mango owner to another. The more I see this color, the more I love it. Just bad ass to the bone!

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I sold a car to an AutoNation dealership last fall, and they were the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. Lies upon lies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts