Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Challenger concept car, shown at the 2006 Detroit International Auto Show, was a big tease for Mopar fans. It was the answer to a hot rodders’ dream- the reincarnation of a 1970s Dodge muscle car! But, would it make it to production?

See the 15:11 minute mark of the following video:

Based on the success of the retro-inspired 2005 Mustang GT, Dodge looked at its parts bins and figured out how to use this stuff to create a modern-day Challenger. To accomplish this feat, Chrysler drew upon its ponycar heritage and charged its Pacifica design studio to turn this dream into a reality. The fabrication of the carbon fiber body was to be done by Metalcrafters.

Here are the insider video interviews of the concept’s brilliant exterior designer, Micheal Castaglione and interior designer, Alan Barrington:

Challenger Designers - Castiglione and Barrington, Part 1 - YouTube

Challenger Designers - Castiglione and Barrington, Part 2 - YouTube

Challenger Designers - Castiglione and Barrington, Part 3 - YouTube

Challenger Designers Castiglione and Barrington Pt. 4 - YouTube

Challenger Designers Castiglione and Barrington Pt. 5 - YouTube

Challenger Designers - Castiglione and Barrington, Part 6 - YouTube

As spy photos leaked out to the enthusiast car magazines, anticipation was at a fever pitch. Trevor Creed, Senior V.P. of Design, unveiled the exciting Challenger concept at the 2006 Chrysler Press Conference, Detroit International Auto Show:

See the 17:04 minute mark of the following video:

As a result of overwhelming acceptance of the concept, it was decided to put it into production. An on-line Countdown Clock, ticked off the days and hours until the 2008 Challenger SRT 8 would debut on February 6, 2008. The finished product featured a sexy body that was faithful to the concept's retro design. In addition, it featured a proven 6.1 Hemi engine (425 hp. and 420 ft-lbs. of [email protected],800 rpm), 4-piston Brembo brakes, 14.2 inch vented rotors, Bilstein shocks, live rear axle, 5-speed NAG1 automatic transmission, Alcoa forged aluminum 20-inch wheels, 245/40-20/255/40-20 Goodyear F-1 Supercar tires and much more.

Here are the video interviews of the 2008’s exterior designer, Jeff Gale and interior designer, Brian Nielander:

2008 Challenger Designer Interview -- Segment 1 - YouTube

2008 Challenger Designer Interview -- Segment 2 - YouTube

2008 Challenger Designer Interview -- Segment 3 - YouTube

Designer Interview ; Segment 4 - 2009 Challenger - YouTube

Designer Interview; Segment 6 - 2009 Challenger - YouTube

·
Registered
93 Posts
The rebirth of the Challenger was a great feat. I'm also glad to see that they are letting the Challenger go away and get replaced by the Barracuda, rather than let it get redesigned into something it no longer ties to its original roots with. I bought a Mustang back in 2012, as it looked as good as it could to its original late 60'sroots. Today, the Mustang is no longer tied to its younger kin. Glad to see that Dodge will not let that happen with the Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Um, you know something the rest of us do not?

A Guy

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Um, you know something the rest of us do not?

A Guy
I'm hearing that the Challenger will be dropped and replaced by the Barracuda. I hope I'm wrong, but also hope that Dodge will not go off course in a redesign of a Challenger off of its roots like Ford has done with the Mustang.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Barracuda rumors for a decade...and it was a Plymouth. Dunno who your source is, but don't hold your breath

A Guy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Barracuda rumors for a decade...and it was a Plymouth. Dunno who your source is, but don't hold your breath

A Guy
Well aware that Dodge is tied to Challenger, and Plymouth had the Barracuda....decades are a long time, yes, but other internet articles and predictions are posting up more and more about this. Hopefully the bean counters are simply testing waters.

I bought the Challenger, and it will stay with me.

My main point is targeted at the Challengers style. Don't know why you'd suggest I hold my breath, as I only don't want to see it get a redesign past its current style and past roots.

IMO, Ford has destroyed the current Mustang; now an electric model that looks like a BMW X3. Don't want that to happen to the Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Telling you not to hold your breath waiting for a Barracuda to appear, whether you'd welcome it or not ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Depending on how it looks, and the price, it may be welcomed as a Challenger replacement :D

A Guy

·
Registered
93 Posts
I believe we will see it....soon.
As long as the current Challenger sales please the "bean counters" at Dodge, the model will continue, and hopefully with minor style changes that keep the Challenger pure to its roots.

If/when sales drop to the point that production costs outweigh the sales profits, we will see changes, such as a model replacement like the intro of the new Barracuda.

Hope it takes a long while. I like this current Challenger.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
There's barely enough room in the market place for Camaro-Mustang-Challenger. One of them will go away. Toyota sells more Rav4 than all 3 combined X4. Would bet that Barracuda comes back as a SUV.

Mitsubishi already put legendary sports car names on their SUVs. Names like Eclipse and Evolution are on crossovers. I suppose that inject the "performance" in them.

At the end of the day, Dodge still a business that need to make money.

337 Posts

A Guy
It would be nice to see the Barracuda again, whether it will share the platform with Challenger or not. But just like with the Pontiac Firebird, modern incarnations are far from being realized yet

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,036 Posts
Now with the way things have been going lately, it is extremely unlikely a "Cuda" of any kind is going to materialize. If one should perhaps (one day) make that appearance, it will be far from the hopeful retro-design, like the Challenger.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,414 Posts
Speaking of nostalgic remembrance of the re-launch of the Challenger...

There was a video done, maybe 2006, 2007, showing a black old school Challenger driving into a covered bridge, and the "new" Challenger emerging from the other side.

I've seen the video once, but then lost the link, and its not coming up on any google search I try. Would love to have that video.

·
Super Moderator
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Speaking of nostalgic remembrance of the re-launch of the Challenger...

There was a video done, maybe 2006, 2007, showing a black old school Challenger driving into a covered bridge, and the "new" Challenger emerging from the other side.

I've seen the video once, but then lost the link, and its not coming up on any google search I try. Would love to have that video.
This isn't the commercial that you are looking for, but it is still very cool.

Dodge Challenger 2008 Ad | It's On - YouTube

·
Registered
677 Posts
The timing of the release, through no fault of their own, was unfortunate. 2008 the economy crashed. It was tough times. Idiots in DC were pushing 'cash for clunkers' and other stupid 'Bravo Sierra'. A lot of 4.0 straight six motors were destroyed. ( waste in my book)
Its a miracle that the Challenger and Charger held on. New Jeep wrangler ( JK) was about to be introduced. Those new models were thrown into the deep end of the pool, and made it. Some didn't ( I was thinking Dodge Nitro & Dakota) although Dakota may have been a few years earlier). I can't remember.

The unique Dodge Magnum was not renewed. I thought that was a mistake not to continue it, but It may have not been selling very well.
Those were some serious times
best
parrott

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed
208 Posts
If they bring the Dodge 'Cuda back, I hope we'll also see the Chevrolet Firebird/Trans Am, Ford Cougar, and the Buick GTO.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts