Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have so many miles, I thought I should share. I had the timing chain recall done at about 162,000 miles. Within 2,000 miles, had a CEL come on. One of the MDS solenoids went out, caused a leak, had to be replaced. Within 500 miles of having it replaced, had another CEL come on, but this was much worse. Misfire on cylinder 2. Had a buddy do a leak down test, and it was the intake valve guide. With all the miles I had on the engine, I decided to go ahead and replace the entire engine, since I was getting a 100,000 mile warranty with it. When the old engine was pulled, I had the mechanic take a peek at the inside. He said it looked brand new, no build up whatsoever. I take really good care of my R/T. Do 99% highway driving. Only really get on it when merging, or when on a very open interstate with small chance of troopers being around. As far as routine maintenance goes, I use regular 5W20 oil, changed every 5,000 miles. Changed all the plugs and serpentine belt at 100,000 miles, as well as having all the fluids flushed. She did really well for a very long time. Bottom line, beware the intake valve guide. You also may want to replace the MDS solenoids (4 of them) at 100,000 miles. I think they were about $60 a piece. I will keep everyone updated as I hit higher mileage milestones, as I plan on keeping her for at least another 150,000 miles. Everyone say a little prayer that the tranny holds up OK. I hope the Jasper engine lasts even longer than the original one did. Everyone be safe, and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah, apparently when the timing chain recall was done, the original timing chain guide (P.O.S.) was BARELY attached. The mechanic told me I was REAL close to a REAL disaster.

I assume you don't drive in autostick?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Wow, this is perhaps the most distinctive ownership story for an auto Challenger, yet...162k mi??? I would have thought such a thing to be a myth. ;)

Glad you got your timing chain recall service done in the nick of time, but you have deprived us of perhaps one of the most intriguing pieces of data that could ever come from an auto Challenger...what would your timing chain guide parts look like after 162k? I'm assuming those parts are now history since you replaced your engine? :(

Talk about throwing away irreplaceable and rare pieces of data!!! :fight:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The original timing chain parts were done BEFORE the engine had to be replaced. I looked at them after the recall was done, and the guide did not look that bad. I've seen pictures on here of MUCH worse. There was very little wear, some minor grooving in the guide, but nothing like some of the pics that I saw. The main problem that was going to occur was that the bolt that holds the guide in place was NOT holding it in place. The mechanic didn't have to use a tool to get it off, he simply slid it off. That is what the major problem was going to be. I didn't take any pics because my original timing chain parts actually looked pretty good. It was after I had the recall done that the other things started happening, and led me to just go ahead and replace the engine. It's no myth, I drive A LOT! Every year when I get my state inspection done, the computer prompts the service station to enter the mileage twice, because it thinks they are errantly entering the mileage. I actually told the guys to go ahead and replace my ORIGINAL brake pads when they were doing the engine, just because after 165,000 miles, I thought they should be changed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I very rarely drive in auto stick. I did do A BUNCH of auto stick driving while I was waiting for 4 weeks for my recall parts to come in, and I realized why I didn't use it more oftern. I bought an auto tranny for a reason, so that I can just put it in drive and not mess with it anymore

·
Registered
511 Posts
I very rarely drive in auto stick. I did do A BUNCH of auto stick driving while I was waiting for 4 weeks for my recall parts to come in, and I realized why I didn't use it more oftern. I bought an auto tranny for a reason, so that I can just put it in drive and not mess with it anymore

Ok thanks, just curious.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
You replaced an engine because of a worn valve guide?

:scratchhead:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced the engine because the cost to repair the ONE issue was going to be a fourth of what a new engine would be. Also, with the new engine I get a 100,000 mile warranty. Had I just fixed the one CURRENT problem, I may have faced the same with another cylinder. I weighed all of my options and went with what I thought made the most sense in the long run.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Thank you for all of this feedback on a high mileage Challenger!

So what's the verdict about the worn valve guide?...was it just a fluke, or entirely likely thing to go out after this many miles?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I replaced the engine because the cost to repair the ONE issue was going to be a fourth of what a new engine would be. Also, with the new engine I get a 100,000 mile warranty. Had I just fixed the one CURRENT problem, I may have faced the same with another cylinder. I weighed all of my options and went with what I thought made the most sense in the long run.
Well, okay. The reason I asked is that you can get a head completely rebuilt around here for about $150. But you obviously know what you want.

Peace out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess we'll have to wait and see as other owners get up there in mileage. I didn't push the original engine, and took immaculate care of it. So whether it was a fluke or something that will be the norm, only time will tell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Were you not the original owner? I'm curious about the lifetime power train warranty that came with 2009 R/Ts (& SEs).
I am not the original owner. I bought it almost 4 years ago with 5,000 miles on it. The original owner got rid of it because he apparently wanted a plum crazy one

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, okay. The reason I asked is that you can get a head completely rebuilt around here for about $150. But you obviously know what you want.

Peace out.
It was going to be a little over a grand to pull the head, repair, and replace, even more expensive to get a new head. And like I said, I wouldn't have any kind of warranty to go along with it. Trust me, it wasn't an easy decision, but I think it will end up being the best one. I drive a bunch and I need something reliable. I had to drive the wife's minivan while I was waiting for the engine to come in.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
What is that conversation like? They quote you on repairing the cylinder head, and then you say...send me a new engine, I'll pay! Gimme the dirt details... :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is that conversation like? They quote you on repairing the cylinder head, and then you say...send me a new engine, I'll pay! Gimme the dirt details... :D
There were very few options around here for reputable machinists. I got their quotes. Then I was talking with my mechanic, and he brought up the possibilities of something similar happening with the other head, or even worse, piston rings getting worn. I'm not a pessimist, but I do like to realistically think of all possibilities. Keep in mind, the original engine had 165,000 miles on it. So I decided to go with a refurbed Jasper engine, with the 100,000 mile warranty, installed by a different place recommended by my mechanic. Another local engine rebuilding place would've been a third cheaper, but only offered a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, and didn't have the reputation that Jasper has. I'd eat that warranty up in three months. I didn't want cost to be the only deciding factor, I wanted to make the best decision. I think I did, others may disagree. We'll see. Who knows, as other Challengers start to rack up mileage, we may see this happening more often. I love my car and I wasn't quite ready to part ways with her.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.