Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it's getting cooler this time of year, I can turn off the A/C and give it break. I have everything set to low and I'm not cycling around the cabin air. Normally with the set up in older cars, you'd be venting in the outside air. Should be getting colder nor hotter. I can tell you, something is heating it up. Is the engine so hot that is heat soaks around the air inlets and warms it up a little? Have I not fully turned off the heater core? Is it defective?

Let me know in the comments below. ?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I know the "cabin" filter is in the engine bay well kind of it.. might be sucking in the hot air from the engine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
As it's getting cooler this time of year, I can turn off the A/C and give it break. I have everything set to low and I'm not cycling around the cabin air. Normally with the set up in older cars, you'd be venting in the outside air. Should be getting colder nor hotter. I can tell you, something is heating it up. Is the engine so hot that is heat soaks around the air inlets and warms it up a little? Have I not fully turned off the heater core? Is it defective?

It is possible something is wrong. But there are other things that can account for what you observe.

Certainly if the car has sat a while after being run the heat soak can warm up things to the point the cabin air vent air can be warmer than the outside air. This can take some time to cool down.

I know when I have the A/C on and shut off the compressor and let the cabin fan run the air still blows cool for some minutes after.

What you can do is let the car sit overnight and then being sure the A/C is off and the heat control is set to no heat (or low or whatever) and just the center air vents are selected/open start the engine and let the cabin fan run and using a digital thermometer measure the air temperature from the center vents. It should be ambient. If as the engine warms up the temperature goes up this suggests air is being routed -- either intentionally or on purpose -- through the heater core.

(As an aside while my Hellcat with the temperature setting set to "LO" appears to pull in outside air and totally bypass the heater core my JCW the temperature setting only goes to "60F" and to me it feels like there is some bit of heating of the air going on. But i have not bothered to do the above "test".)

Be sure the weather stripping that seals the hood is good. If it is bad this can let hot air flow out from under the hood and it can flow right into the cabin air intake.

Be sure the cabin air filter -- if there is one -- is installed properly and air can only enter the cabin air intake via the desired path.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is possible something is wrong. But there are other things that can account for what you observe.

Certainly if the car has sat a while after being run the heat soak can warm up things to the point the cabin air vent air can be warmer than the outside air. This can take some time to cool down.

I know when I have the A/C on and shut off the compressor and let the cabin fan run the air still blows cool for some minutes after.

What you can do is let the car sit overnight and then being sure the A/C is off and the heat control is set to no heat (or low or whatever) and just the center air vents are selected/open start the engine and let the cabin fan run and using a digital thermometer measure the air temperature from the center vents. It should be ambient. If as the engine warms up the temperature goes up this suggests air is being routed -- either intentionally or on purpose -- through the heater core.

(As an aside while my Hellcat with the temperature setting set to "LO" appears to pull in outside air and totally bypass the heater core my JCW the temperature setting only goes to "60F" and to me it feels like there is some bit of heating of the air going on. But i have not bothered to do the above "test".)

Be sure the weather stripping that seals the hood is good. If it is bad this can let hot air flow out from under the hood and it can flow right into the cabin air intake.

Be sure the cabin air filter -- if there is one -- is installed properly and air can only enter the cabin air intake via the desired path.
It's a 2018 and I got it new, so I would believe that the seals are good and the cabin filter is in correctly(though this is FCA we are talking about! I better double check that.). I notice the heat on my feet it after driving for a good while. I like to have air blowing, so I'll always have the cabin fan on. Would by level cause warm air to hit the feet?

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Just as an experiment, don't have it on bi-level. Just have the air coming out the vents in the dash and see what happens.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. If the temperature is set to low, you should not be feeling heat unless it's hot outside the car too. What was the air temperature when you tried this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as an experiment, don't have it on bi-level. Just have the air coming out the vents in the dash and see what happens.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. If the temperature is set to low, you should not be feeling heat unless it's hot outside the car too. What was the air temperature when you tried this?
I did, it was cool first but then it started to blast me with the heat. It's not burning hot, but I feel it should be way cooler. Today is mid 70's and sunny.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Well if the blend door actuator is acting funky it could be mixing fresh air with air going through the heat core. Don't forget the firewall gets pretty toasty on these cars. In the summer, even with the AC on I can feel the heat from the firewall.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
I did, it was cool first but then it started to blast me with the heat. It's not burning hot, but I feel it should be way cooler. Today is mid 70's and sunny.
Get a digital thermometer and use it to measure the temperature of the air from the vents. Before you tear into the car, the heating/vent system, you need to be sure there is a valid reason for doing so.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,948 Posts

Have a chat with Nuke. It seems he has a similar problem.

Nuke's plight...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts