Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
TorRed 2014 Challenger SXT Plus Sinister Super Sport
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I were approached by a realtor who wants to buy and renovate our home for resale, and we decided to take the offer because we will receive 175% of what we paid for the house (150% if interest is factored in).

As a first time Challenger owner, I went with the more economically priced used SXT to make sure that I enjoyed driving the car as much as I have always dreamed I would. Turns out I do even more than I anticipated.

Herein lies the dilemma. I know that I would like to upgrade to some sort of R/T at some point in the future. Should I just go for it and start searching after paying off my current 2014 SXT, or wait for a year+ while enjoying the 2014, for the 2022 model year and build the exact car that I want?

Leaning toward waiting for the 2022 model year, but there's always that voice on the inside telling me to do things right now because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would save some money for gasoline (its going to skyrocket) and some money for goods and services (inflation is going to skyrocket as well). IMHO

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
From what I've been reading on this forum, order one now and you may be lucky to get it before 2022...
So my wife and I were approached by a realtor who wants to buy and renovate our home for resale, and we decided to take the offer because we will receive 175% of what we paid for the house (150% if interest is factored in).

As a first time Challenger owner, I went with the more economically priced used SXT to make sure that I enjoyed driving the car as much as I have always dreamed I would. Turns out I do even more than I anticipated.

Herein lies the dilemma. I know that I would like to upgrade to some sort of R/T at some point in the future. Should I just go for it and start searching after paying off my current 2014 SXT, or wait for a year+ while enjoying the 2014, for the 2022 model year and build the exact car that I want?

Leaning toward waiting for the 2022 model year, but there's always that voice on the inside telling me to do things right now because you never know what tomorrow will bring.
You could just wait until you see what the choices are for the 22' models. If you don't like what you see, grab a 21' off a lot that's as close to what you would have ordered. Depends on how set you are on a custom build.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,549 Posts
With limited availability now and for the foreseeable future, I'd wait and see how things play out

A Guy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Or find a decent dealer (i know) and have them start looking for what you want. If they want the sale they will find the unicorn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the advice, I'm going to wait until '22. I don't want to build anything crazy or anything, just want to make sure I get the right color and all that since my next one will be a much bigger purchase as far as pricetag is concerned. I appreciate your time putting up with my dumb questions!

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
645 Posts
Just a simple set of words of advice, KNOW what you want to do...........and DON"T ask for opinions.

Dear Abby may have been useful decades ago. But, don't short-change yourself asking others what to do with your money. Just do your homework (outside of this forum).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The people that make those offers to buy homes, often aren’t offering market value. Did you check with a realtor to find out what your house should be selling for?

We get those offers on our rental home about 6 times a year.
Profit is a profit and eventually the market is going to run south. It was well worth making the deal, and just our "starter home". Picked it up for pennies on the dollar and it is now in need of more work than I am currently willing to dish out for so perfect timing. The flipper is banking on the current housing trend to keep skyrocketing, but every bubble bursts eventually. Rather get out now and rent for a year for the market to come down and get another great deal but for something nicer. I appreciate the advice, but we're making out fat enough to where I don't mind leaving some meat on the bone for them to be able to fix the house up and maybe make 15-20k if they make it before the bubble bursts. Just like gambling or the stock market, timing is crucial and I am willing to bet I am making the right call.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Profit is a profit and eventually the market is going to run south. It was well worth making the deal, and just our "starter home". Picked it up for pennies on the dollar and it is now in need of more work than I am currently willing to dish out for so perfect timing. The flipper is banking on the current housing trend to keep skyrocketing, but every bubble bursts eventually. Rather get out now and rent for a year for the market to come down and get another great deal but for something nicer. I appreciate the advice, but we're making out fat enough to where I don't mind leaving some meat on the bone for them to be able to fix the house up and maybe make 15-20k if they make it before the bubble bursts. Just like gambling or the stock market, timing is crucial and I am willing to bet I am making the right call.
Just seams crazy not to have a realtor do a market analysis on the home. It's free.

My wife is the office manager for a large real estate company, she said that you should exercise extreme caution.

I'm going to leave it at that and move along.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,286 Posts
"Unsolicited" offer of any kind, for anything concerning your home, should almost always set off a huge red flag. You maybe (probably) missing something.
In todays market, in many booming / high demand areas, 150% of intial investment isnt even considered noteworthly.

Your bigger dilemma may not be a car, but may well end up being able to find an equivilent home (sq ft, age, cond, amenities, zip code, etc), within the same price range as you sold for.
Any % of profit gained in the sale, is quickly lost in the next purchase at inflated / inflating prices acrossed the board.
As a hobbie level " property flipper", I'd advise you to proceed cautiously and with a full understanding of what all you're doing. Its easy to get totally screwed up.
The first order of business is to get professional property & market appraisals asap from a trusted 3rd party source.

·
Registered
198 Posts
With all this knowledgeable advice, I hope you research this house issue before you make a move. You may be writing off more than enough to buy your next ride.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
700 Posts
Until they start making land and stop making people, real estate will go up. I don't know what area you are in, but if you can hang on to any house, that is the wise choice, unless you are in a demilitarized zone like Detroit.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I would save some money for gasoline (its going to skyrocket) and some money for goods and services (inflation is going to skyrocket as well). IMHO

When I got my 2016 in late 2015 gas for 87 was $4 a gallon. I wanted to be able to DD my Challenger. It was not hard to get 30MPG on the hwy without trying.

Pre-COVID, let's not forget gas was $3.60-$3.80 (87). No doubt that's what the price of gas should be. We are still experiencing cheap gas. Enjoy it now. Don't be "stuck" with a thirsty car later.. (Or worst, have to justify buying another car that's good on gas.)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I’m not sure what your home sale has to do with your car?

There’s no free lunch so if you are getting a large profit on your house it’s because the housing market in your area is doing great. What that means is the next house you will buy will do the same thing so that profit from the first house will need to go into the next house.

Get your housing settled first. A car sounds awesome until your housing sucks. Believe me your wife will not be happy going from a house to an apartment if you can’t make a house improvement first.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts