Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I predict that when our beloved Challenger is "freshened" for 2012, we are going to see the interior improvements already rolled out on the Charger appear as part of the freshening. I had an opportunity to spend an hour trying out the interior of a new 11 Charger R/T Max, one loaded to the gills with all the toys.

First, no more keyfob you stick into the dash. The fob is smaller, looks way better. The dash button for starting the car now has illuminated indicators for run and off....

the extra button on the steering wheel is for adaptive cruise control...

I like the new design for door panels, shifter, and dash...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
To each his own, but I thought the new Charger looks like crap on the inside. The seats were uncomfortable, the gauges look cheap and shallow, I prefer buttons to a cheesy looking touch screen, the surround for the dash and touch screen looks cheap and tacky, and the interior overall left me with the impression that money saving was the object, not product improvement. Dodge saved me a lot of money. I'll be keeping my '06 Charger.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Touch screen entertainment, nav, climate control, etc

This is where the redesign really shines. Lots of nice stuff here.

Satellite radio now shows the channel logos.. note the information bar across the top of the screen that shows climate control settings, outside temps, etc.

Nav screens.. nice stuff

Climate controls

Display with a CD inserted.

Hard controls below the screen also operate climate and radio. The slots are for an SD memory card and for a CD or DVD.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heated seats and wheel controls

Driver information center, probably will be very different on the Challenger

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bluetooth connectivity means not only can you use your phone hands free, and it will sync with the contacts in your phone, but you can stream digital music from your phone to the car's sound system. I paired my Mytouch 4G and was able to send music from the phone to the car. Awesome! You folks with Droid phones and iPhones will really love this.

Sirius travel link

nearby fuel prices

Weather

What's playing at nearby movies..

Keep up on scores and games...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Seriously though, after the warranty is up on the new Charger's, if that breaks, do you know how expensive it is going to be to fix that? I thought the navigation radio on my 06 Daytona was expensive to replace ($1,100, lucky enough it was under the 3/36,000 warranty), I can only imagine the price tag on that radio.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Seriously though, after the warranty is up on the new Charger's, if that breaks, do you know how expensive it is going to be to fix that? I thought the navigation radio on my 06 Daytona was expensive to replace ($1,100, lucky enough it was under the 3/36,000 warranty), I can only imagine the price tag on that radio.
The electronic components on my base SE have me a little concerned about repair costs after the warranty, I can't imagine having to dish out the cost of repairing something on a loaded SRT8. :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Those are a lot of really cool bells and whistles. I wish anyone that buys a loaded package like that the best of luck in not having to repair those anytime soon. I'll stick with my boston acoustic speakers and basic satellite radio package it does me just fine.

Do kinda wish I had a heated leather feature in my steering wheel tho... :werd:

·
Registered
812 Posts
In a different thread I shot down when I said the Charger interior was going to be the new Challenger interior. However, it just makes sense for Dodge to do that seeing it will save them money by not having to build two separate dashes. Past practice dictates they will do it again.

·
Registered
448 Posts
In a different thread I shot down when I said the Charger interior was going to be the new Challenger interior. However, it just makes sense for Dodge to do that seeing it will save them money by not having to build two separate dashes. Past practice dictates they will do it again.
Which is precisely what they don't want to do. Most people enjoy the falsehood that they are unique in the world. A true extension of their self becomes the auto they drive. Its why VW bugs come with a flower holder in the dash, but no flower. You have to put your own spin on the car. Great psychological hook that. So if they put different interiors in the car, it follows that they will have unique vehicles. The trick is to blend the 2 ideas closely, to the point where it does reduce cost, but doesn't reduce desirability.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Touch screens look cool, but when you're wearing gloves they usually don't work very well. Plus, I only have to reach over and push one button to turn on the heated seats or change the radio station in my Challenger. With a touch screen you have to work your way through several menus (depending on what you're currently displaying on it) to find a given function. That means diverting your attention to from driving to reading a screen to find the right spot to touch and working your way through the menus. That may be OK for a cell phone or an iPad but it's not too cool when you're hurtling down the interstate at 103 feet per second.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i like the gadgets but Im afraid navigating that control panel will be as bad as texting while driving.... it does do some cool stuff though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Touch screens look cool, but when you're wearing gloves they usually don't work very well. Plus, I only have to reach over and push one button to turn on the heated seats or change the radio station in my Challenger. With a touch screen you have to work your way through several menus (depending on what you're currently displaying on it) to find a given function. That means diverting your attention to from driving to reading a screen to find the right spot to touch and working your way through the menus. That may be OK for a cell phone or an iPad but it's not too cool when you're hurtling down the interstate at 103 feet per second.
Something to keep in mind, even now, the available 730n can control virtually everything via voice command. Also, touch capacitive gloves! Just sayin'. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I totally agree with you on this and I'll back you up on it for one reason. I'm sure everyone remembers the Dodge Magnum. That same interior was later used on the Dakota's and then the Charger's. That was one of my gripes about my Charger when I bought it, I kept saying the outside is a Charger, the inside a Magnum. So they have done it in the past and I see no reason why they wont do it again.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Writing new code for MyGig UI is the cheapest cost compared to hardware up-grades.
Out-sourced to India, actually we should be getting new up-dates monthly as a courtesy, tweaks on functionality, new whistles, fresh UI lay-outs, a lot of possibility there.

I like my pseudo-suede panels better on my SRT Challenger than the new Charger door panels,

Really don't think much will change for 2012 as far as interior cosmetics go.
:smoker:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The electronic components on my base SE have me a little concerned about repair costs after the warranty, I can't imagine having to dish out the cost of repairing something on a loaded SRT8. :(

thats why when/if mine goes, i wil just replace it with the standard radio.

my smart phone will be my GPS at that point

·
Registered
466 Posts
I totally agree with you on this and I'll back you up on it for one reason. I'm sure everyone remembers the Dodge Magnum. That same interior was later used on the Dakota's and then the Charger's. That was one of my gripes about my Charger when I bought it, I kept saying the outside is a Charger, the inside a Magnum. So they have done it in the past and I see no reason why they wont do it again.
You guys might be right, but I don't think so. Past practice has shown that the Challenger has always had it's own dash. The Charger is now on it's 3rd different dash, none of which was shared by the Challenger. And it seems to me that if they were going to start sharing the new Charger dash, it would have started this year. Why wait if they need to save $$?

·
Registered
733 Posts
guys....just have a look at all those "new" Mercedes or BMW or Audi. That is and was always the future regarding US cars as US cars are always "a little bit" behind.

No....I don't like all the stuff and I don't wanna have all the stuff in my car. But as it seems it's an unstoppable trend.

New Audi A6 for example.
- Electronic steering
- Electronic parking brake
- Electronic transmission control
- Electronic differential control
- Hill assist
-Lane assist (corrects the steering if there's a car on your side and you want to switch lanes)
- cornering light (headlights move when you do a corner)
- big fat screen (navigation internet, book your hotel room or a table for dinner from the car ....)
- all digital control (heat, seats, climate, DVD, music, ....)
- onboard WIFI
bla bla bla.

Tons of crap nobody needs in a driver car!

But the real issue is. Which car can we buy in the future which will be a real good mechanical car?
to be honest. the only thing I really love is ABS. But I do not need traction control or all the other stuff. I don't wanna have a doubleclutch transmission. I don't need doors which close automatically or mirrors which fold up when I close my car.

It's gonna be a real challenge to find a real drivers car in the future which can be ordered without 800lbs of electronic assistance systems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts