Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen them: new-to-fairly new cars parked somewhere or driving around that have a certain look of automotive "death" about them. Unwashed, camber off a wee bit on a wheel, a little too many dents and dings for as new as it is, etc. These are the first cars to plunge down the economic ladder with each owner. You just know that these puppies aren't going to be around in 5-10 years unless they find a loving owner who knows a bit about car care.

I spied my first ever such Challenger in a CVS parking lot. I regret not having my camera or phone with me at the time, or I'd post a pic. The not-so-Brite White R/T looked worse than any rental Challenger I'd ever seen: filthy all over (it's not rained/snowed here in days so there's no excuse), chrome clads looked like they were painted dull gray, passenger front fender didn't quite line up, and there was a hole, yes a HOLE about 1.5" in the top of the front end fiberglass (?) piece near where a hood badge would be. Quite a few small dings, too--and parked with everyone else. It's probably common to see other cars like this up north, especially in the winter. But a Challenger??! It just may be one of those "I'm gonna get it fixed one of these days" tales...

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Obviously, this Challenger is an every day driver. Still, there is no excuse for treating a great-looking car like a beater. The owner is probably not a true "car guy."

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously, this Challenger is an every day driver. Still, there is no excuse for treating a great-looking car like a beater. The owner is probably not a true "car guy."
I figured it was a daily driver. I just never thought I'd see one like this anytime soon. I honestly can't recall seeing a Challenger in daily driving this shabby.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
To most people a car is a way to get from point A to point B. A typical Challenger owner isn't like that... but... it happens. Most people don't take care of their cars in general... wash, general maintenance, etc... just drive them till they die... and fix what needs fixing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
As to the filth... I just got a look at the sides of my black Challenger this morning after a week of drizzle/sleet/ice pellet weather. It's horrible. Nice weather today I think, once the morning fog clears out. I could spend a couple hours outside washing this afternoon, but the forecast calls for more drizzle/sleet/ice pellet weather this week. So it might be clean Monday. But Tuesday it's dirty again, and likely filthy by Wednesday.

I hate a dirty car, and kinda feel like a fella with a car that looks good in black (like this one) accepts an unofficial obligation to keep it clean. But sometimes reality gets factored in. I may still wash it because it's really (really) bad... but my inclination right now is to leave it. :icon_frown:

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Wow! At my work place at Travis AFB, my fellow workers kid me that my Challenger is my second wife. I have a White R/T and the thought of it being dirty is a no happnin' situation. I dust it off every day after work, and detail spray it 3 times a week and put a coat of Raceglaze once a month. It started raining here about 3 days ago and with the blessing of my human wife, I have been driving our 06 Town and Country to work this week and chores this weekend. No, I am not embarrassed cause I cruisin' the van. Its like a giant Cadillac. Plus I have a street racing CAI in it and it sounds cool when you smash the no power gas pedal to the floor. Actually with the CAI she scoots around OK. Plus the people who see me in it have no idea what's sittin' in the garage all sparkling clean. Really! A dirty Challenger. Hey, you guys up in the snow, you have a legitimate excuse, until the weather clears up. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
A guy I work with has a white R/T that got nailed in a hail storm last spring. It is affectionately known as the golf ball car. While humorous, I get a little sad when I see it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Challenger is a daily driver (even in winter) and I still keep in looking like brand new. It gets dirty, but it always cleans up great and I will try to park to avoid door dings.

I've got some scratches on the roof from a garage door (long story), but they will be painted once it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Side note: Several years ago I was in San francisco and helped put down the top on the Nash Bridges 71 HEMI Cuda for a movie shoot. The outside looked clean, but the inside was filthy, old rags, empty water bottles and other junk all over the place. I was shocked. Under the Shaker Hood was a 318 engine (NOT a 426 HEMI). This is the car they used for the TV shows. There was a 71 HEMI Cuda (not an original but it had a 426 HEMI) they used for the intro of the shows. Like I said, I could not believe how filthy this car actually was on the inside. I would have thought movie people would have at least cleaned it out.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Like nuowner's mine is a black daily driver. Yeah, I'm crazy like that. And although I'm in LA and cars are easy to keep nice here, it's the second week in a row that it rains on a Thursday, my Monday. Stupid foggy drizzle of a rain, not the real thing, but 'we need it', as they say. :disgust: So my car is filthy and will be that way until Tuesday because I work 12-hour shifts and have too long a commute to detail it during my work week. Yesterday I even used my windshield washers and covered my roof and windows with streaks of the blue stuff (the horror). Oh, well, it's not so bad and I knew that this would happen going in. As a matter of fact, resisting urges to wash it on Thursday night (it just drizzled again today) is therapy: trying to rein in those pesky OCD tendencies, you see...

Anyway, as far as the car in the OP is concerned... the majority of Challengers I see on the road are driven by people who don't notice mine right next to theirs or the guy waving inside. They're sheep who just bought a cool-looking car that might as well be a VW or a Toyota for all they care. Most of those cars will look like crap in no time and there's no way they're on a forum. I'll tell ya: it's not hurting my feelings. Challengers are mass-produced and only special to us.

Reactions: Geno22

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
As to the filth... I just got a look at the sides of my black Challenger this morning after a week of drizzle/sleet/ice pellet weather. It's horrible. Nice weather today I think, once the morning fog clears out. I could spend a couple hours outside washing this afternoon, but the forecast calls for more drizzle/sleet/ice pellet weather this week. So it might be clean Monday. But Tuesday it's dirty again, and likely filthy by Wednesday.

I hate a dirty car, and kinda feel like a fella with a car that looks good in black (like this one) accepts an unofficial obligation to keep it clean. But sometimes reality gets factored in. I may still wash it because it's really (really) bad... but my inclination right now is to leave it. :icon_frown:

you sound like you're in the DFW area, mine's dusty but I was waiting for the fog to clear this afternoon to clean mine up too. Wednesday on is supposed to be nice here, so after today mine won't see daylight till next weekend.

I've never seen a Challenger such as the OP described, I only see 2-3 a week around here and they are usually spotless.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Hey USRWDV8, Its all good to have OCD as they say. That's why our cars are always the cleanest, even under the hood. Take mine in for servicing at the dealership and the guys can't believe it. Even my 06 Town and Country Touring Van is spotless, except this week, due to the rain. When I had the water pump replaced at our Vacaville Chrysler dealer, the guys were trippin', really, this guys engine is freakin' spotless, and even the inside of his wheels are clean. Challenger is the same way. OCD is all good. I thought the song said "It never rains in California". Yeap, we need it.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Hey USRWDV8, Its all good to have OCD as they say.
Ehhhh... they don't call it a disorder for nothing! It can easily spiral out of control and then you're miserable, and so is everybody around you. I know a guy who got medicated for it and now he's a filthy bastard... and no one wants that. But you know what I mean: I keep those tendencies in check so that they're positive traits, like being clean and organized. Forcing myself to accept things I can't control, like bad weather and a dirty car for a few days, is about just that.

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
I got a feeling that this Challenger has a short life and is going to wind up like its ancestor.

This got me to thinking...what makes you feel worse, a new Challenger that is totaled in an accident or one that is abused and neglected?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Side note: Several years ago I was in San francisco and helped put down the top on the Nash Bridges 71 HEMI Cuda for a movie shoot. The outside looked clean, but the inside was filthy, old rags, empty water bottles and other junk all over the place. I was shocked. Under the Shaker Hood was a 318 engine (NOT a 426 HEMI). This is the car they used for the TV shows. There was a 71 HEMI Cuda (not an original but it had a 426 HEMI) they used for the intro of the shows. Like I said, I could not believe how filthy this car actually was on the inside. I would have thought movie people would have at least cleaned it out.
The car was a prop to them and nothing else. My brother in law was asked by a studio to borrow his BMW for a shoot and he told them as long as they treated it like his baby. The car came back with over $5000 in body damage. Like I said to them it's just a car/prop.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Yes indeed USRWDV8. Yes indeed. It took me many years to, shall we say, chill. Organizational skills and cleanliness are things much needed in my job. Dealing with people on a daily basis and being professional in every way are things needed working for the Armed Forces of this country. Projecting that image is priceless. 35 years later, I'm still doing it. I try to pass that on to our young new enlistees daily. I understand very much what your saying, as I have a neighbor who is clinically diagnosed with OCD. Unfortunately he has been married 3 times and now is a single man. He has 5 vehicles, one of which is a Acura, can't recall the name of the car, but its the Ferrari looking one they produced a couple of years ago. He won't even take it out unless its beautiful outside. Parked next to it is his first car. A 1975 BMW. It is spotless constantly. His other 3 vehicles are his daily drivers. As for me, when I was young my Dad had me help him all the time cleaning the car. When we were stationed in Okinawa for 3 years I would clean our Datsun Bluebird everyday. I guess that's where I got the keep the car clean stuff from. My Dad. I miss him very much, as he passed away in 2011. :( That's the only thing that I just don't accept, my car being dirty. It does on occasion, but not often. Thanks Dad, wish you were still here.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
This got me to thinking...what makes you feel worse, a new Challenger that is totaled in an accident or one that is abused and neglected?
I definitely feel worse about the accident because it could happen to me, someone got (or could've gotten) hurt, and the owner is often not responsible. The neglected car isn't mine and frankly doesn't affect me in any way aside from making mine look better. If it was a rare, no longer produced car... I'd feel somewhat differently.

Now do I feel bad for the car? It's a machine, not a child or a pet! Flame away, fellas! :icon_lol: I actually dislike the mentality that makes people say, "How could he do this to his car?". I think they miss the 'HIS' part, and next they'll start judging people's mods or how they drive. We've all seen it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Kowalski didn't drive a clean white RT.........

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
And he TRULY drove it like he stole it! :no:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
There's a huge difference between a car that is a 'daily driver' and one that is a 'beater.'

My Challenger is a daily driver, and it's easily the cleanest and sharpest car I see on the road every darn day. And all my coworkers and neighbors tell me so, so it's not just my imagination. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts