Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last Thursday I began my monthly trip to Arrington to work on some projects. When I walked in the door I realized it was going to be interesting for sure. Here is the line up...

A) Our standard 8.8:1 426 with a Magnuson Supercharger on the Engine Dyno
B) A very nice 2010 5.7 VVT with a Magnuson S/C Kit with a little baby cam and some clean up on the heads
C) Our standard 426 loaded with a Kenne Bell S/C and some pulleys.

A) The Magnuson 426 was on our engine dyno all running on factory electronics. Tried a bunch of boost levels and injectors, different throttle bodies ect... The best Pull at 9.5 lbs made 784 Crank HP and just North of that in Flywheel Tq. The engine was very stable and consistent from pull to pull even when leaning on it hard. IAT's were really stable and with a ton of pulls on her the hottest I was able to see was 120 deg.

B) This one was really fun! 2010 Challenger RT 5.7 VVT 6 9.0: 1 comp 6 speed with a baby re-grind cam, just a touch of cleanup on the ports and a Magnuson S/C at 9lbs of boost. I was amazed at how well the throttle transitions felt and how the blower behaved. I expected to see IAT's quite a bit above the engine dyno numbers because of the environment but it really blew me away showing the same numbers after 13 hard pulls and the Part throttle steady state tuning. So what did she make??? On a Conservative tune 535 WHP and 586 Tq. This thing is an absolute riot on the street and you would barely know it was S/C until you whacked it. After a good romp on the chassis dyno and a better romp on the street the IAT's stayed under south with the cold ambient air now working with us. The blower was always cool to the touch, Over all VERY impressed with it and cant wait to stretch it further.

C) The BIG DOG!!!. Our Standard 426 607 cam ph 4 heads with a Kenne Bell. What can you say, everything about this thing is big, big manifold, big intake pipe, big throttle body ect.... Good performance and in True KB fashion making big power. Made a a bunch of low boost pulls then turned the wick up to about 17 lbs. In True KB fashion it laid it down but I had to stop because the 161 Degree IAT's were a little scary for the power level that was WELL NORTH of 700's in Power and 800's in TQ at the wheels. Awesome no doubt and not done yet. Flying down next week to continue tuning and stretching her out. IMO GREAT blower but even at 8lbs moves lots of heat and and at 17 lbs you can't get near it after a few pulls it will burn your hands. Keep in mind we are spinning the blower at about 17,800 rpm which is at the limit of what is recommended for peak efficiency. We are also running in the dyno cell so you will get better airflow on the road. The Ice chest water tank a few guys use is a MUST IMO for this if your going to go round after round at the track.

So why the long winded post??? Well frankly at Arrington we are committed to R&D to make our combos the best out there. We are using the same parts most of you use everyday to get the compatibility, reliability, and performance everyone deserves regardless of its configuration. There will be a You Tube vid of our engine dyno running an the Magnuson 426 making some pulls.
Thanks as always for your support
A.J.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
AJ, did you log IAT's on the Whipple 2.9L that you did for Joe by any chance?

I wish i could of. The Whipple manifold does not have a provision for the iat in the intake. It wasn't until yesterday that I recieved the correct sender to screw in and remedy that issue on further builds.
A.J.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
Nice work AJ :thumbsup: love the details about the 5.7 :smokin:

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
AJ you must have some special finger tip gloves to help you from getting blisters for all the laptop work!!!Keep up the good work!

BW

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Hi
I just read the belowposting. I have a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T stock at the present But I want to set it up like "B". What I need is a Price and a Contact along with what I need to do to get it set up like the "B" posting
Thanks for your reply
Richard
[email protected]

So last Thursday I began my monthly trip to Arrington to work on some projects. When I walked in the door I realized it was going to be interesting for sure. Here is the line up...

A) Our standard 8.8:1 426 with a Magnuson Supercharger on the Engine Dyno
B) A very nice 2010 5.7 VVT with a Magnuson S/C Kit with a little baby cam and some clean up on the heads
C) Our standard 426 loaded with a Kenne Bell S/C and some pulleys.

A) The Magnuson 426 was on our engine dyno all running on factory electronics. Tried a bunch of boost levels and injectors, different throttle bodies ect... The best Pull at 9.5 lbs made 784 Crank HP and just North of that in Flywheel Tq. The engine was very stable and consistent from pull to pull even when leaning on it hard. IAT's were really stable and with a ton of pulls on her the hottest I was able to see was 120 deg.

B) This one was really fun! 2010 Challenger RT 5.7 VVT 6 9.0: 1 comp 6 speed with a baby re-grind cam, just a touch of cleanup on the ports and a Magnuson S/C at 9lbs of boost. I was amazed at how well the throttle transitions felt and how the blower behaved. I expected to see IAT's quite a bit above the engine dyno numbers because of the environment but it really blew me away showing the same numbers after 13 hard pulls and the Part throttle steady state tuning. So what did she make??? On a Conservative tune 535 WHP and 586 Tq. This thing is an absolute riot on the street and you would barely know it was S/C until you whacked it. After a good romp on the chassis dyno and a better romp on the street the IAT's stayed under south with the cold ambient air now working with us. The blower was always cool to the touch, Over all VERY impressed with it and cant wait to stretch it further.

C) The BIG DOG!!!. Our Standard 426 607 cam ph 4 heads with a Kenne Bell. What can you say, everything about this thing is big, big manifold, big intake pipe, big throttle body ect.... Good performance and in True KB fashion making big power. Made a a bunch of low boost pulls then turned the wick up to about 17 lbs. In True KB fashion it laid it down but I had to stop because the 161 Degree IAT's were a little scary for the power level that was WELL NORTH of 700's in Power and 800's in TQ at the wheels. Awesome no doubt and not done yet. Flying down next week to continue tuning and stretching her out. IMO GREAT blower but even at 8lbs moves lots of heat and you cant get near it after a few pulls it will burn your hands. The Ice chest water tank a few guys use is a MUST IMO for this if your going to go round after round at the track.

So why the long winded post??? Well frankly at Arrington we are committed to R&D to make our combos the best out there. We are using the same parts most of you use everyday to get the compatibility, reliability, and performance everyone deserves regardless of its configuration. There will be a You Tube vid of our engine dyno running an the Magnuson 426 making some pulls.
Thanks as always for your support
A.J.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info AJ. I'm glad to see folks finally working some magic on the 5.7s.

Thanks for the Props. This is just the beginning for the 5.7 vvt. For the last 3 months I have been deep in development on this program. Stay tuned ;)
A.J.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Great work A.J. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks,

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks for the Props. This is just the beginning for the 5.7 vvt. For the last 3 months I have been deep in development on this program. Stay tuned ;)
A.J.
I have been trying to decide what to do with my 5.7, supercharger is where I want to go. I have decided to do Nitrous and headers for now and wait to see what comes of this program and others. I will eventually change to supercharger, etc. but think there are much better things to come for the 5.7 and cannot wait to see what is in store. Keep us updated please, there are a lot of 5.7's out there.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Was the 5.7 motor forged or stock?
I am guessing the pistons were atleast forged. It says 9:1 compression, so I am sure they changed the pistons, and wouldn't think they would put cast piston back in knowing boost was coming. I think our cranks are ok, not the best, but ok for a fair amount of power. I know the pistons are weak, and probably the rods too, but with a safe tune and moderate boost, I think the stock bottom end can hold its own. I have seen a few stock long block RT in the 500 RWHP range with boost.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I am guessing the pistons were atleast forged. It says 9:1 compression, so I am sure they changed the pistons, and wouldn't think they would put cast piston back in knowing boost was coming. I think our cranks are ok, not the best, but ok for a fair amount of power. I know the pistons are weak, and probably the rods too, but with a safe tune and moderate boost, I think the stock bottom end can hold its own. I have seen a few stock long block RT in the 500 RWHP range with boost.
What I've found interesting is that we've seen pics and data to show the 5.7L is actually more stout than the 6.1. The pistons were thicker and the block as well. The 6.1 has a forged crank, but the rest are cast just like the 5.7.

However it seems more folks run more boost on the 6.1 for whatever reason and claim it's safer than the 5.7. I wonder if it has something to do with the VVT.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
how much heat did the Magnusen produce at 17 psi? Or how much heat did the KB produce at 9.x psi.? Compare apples to apples.

Do you agree more boost = more heat. Comparing 9 psi to 17 psi and making a statement about temperatures so cool on the 9 psi and so hot on 17 psi seems unfair to me?

Seems there is an agenda here somewhere. Arrington????

Would like to see these exact same cars run on a dyno other than Arrington to compare numbers from their dyno to others.

You posted the rwhp of the first two and only said WAY NORTH of 700 on the KB. What are you avoiding by not posting the rwhp of the KB and why not state that too?

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
What I've found interesting is that we've seen pics and data to show the 5.7L is actually more stout than the 6.1. The pistons were thicker and the block as well. The 6.1 has a forged crank, but the rest are cast just like the 5.7.

However it seems more folks run more boost on the 6.1 for whatever reason and claim it's safer than the 5.7. I wonder if it has something to do with the VVT.
I thought the rods on the 6.1 are a bit beefier than the 5.7 also???

HemiSam

1 - 20 of 30 Posts