Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Rubbel what is your beef with Arrington?

BW

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I thought the rods on the 6.1 are a bit beefier than the 5.7 also???

HemiSam
I have seen the pics of the pistons side by side and the only thing that caught my eye was the slight bit more material above the top ring land. I am hoping that is a recognition that the earlier lands were weak, As for the rest of the material on the side. I wouldn't think that would make much difference, as that's not where they fail. The rods did look to be more stout, so I would think the sides were designed a little short to save mass.

I have no expertise here, just guessing by looking at them.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
this is a quote from an e-mail I recieved from a friend that studies race engines earlier in the week. Take it for what it's worth since this is subjective stuff and we all know there's no shortage of opinions out here. I eat this kind of stuff up!

HemiSam

"The weak links are the rods (simple strength issue) and the pistons (lousy ring land design for boost). The valvetrain will work fine up to 6K without issues. The crank will probably take 600HP no problem. The rods will consistently take 525-550. I was told early on by an engine builder that's been doing hemis for a while, that the 5.7 rods (old style) were good to about 550 tops. The later 5.7 rods are slightly beefier, but figure 550 as the safe working limit. The 6.1 rods are a bit heavier and are good to about 600. The rods on both the 5.7 and 6.1 are made from powdered metal. Very interesting process to make them. They can be made VERY uniformly, so if you break one, rest assured that the other ones were about to go. The crank on the 6.1 is forged, but they are in the same boat as us with the pistons and rods. The 6.1 rods are a bit heavier and stronger, but it's about 50HP stronger reliably. I sure wouldn't push a stocker 6.1 past about 550 at the wheels. It's living on borrowed time at that level. Yes, I know that there are people making more than that, but they won't do it for 100,000 miles. "

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
how much heat did the Magnusen produce at 17 psi? Or how much heat did the KB produce at 9.x psi.? Compare apples to apples.

Do you agree more boost = more heat. Comparing 9 psi to 17 psi and making a statement about temperatures so cool on the 9 psi and so hot on 17 psi seems unfair to me?

Seems there is an agenda here somewhere. Arrington????

Would like to see these exact same cars run on a dyno other than Arrington to compare numbers from their dyno to others.

You posted the rwhp of the first two and only said WAY NORTH of 700 on the KB. What are you avoiding by not posting the rwhp of the KB and why not state that too?

No Agenda at all. We didnt take the Maggie up to 17 psi because we don't have the 8 rib with pulleys completed yet.I stated an observation and every one took it the wrong way. Even when I spin the maggie to 17 psi its not apples to apples. The blowers are much different in many ways. The KB with no final numbers is because its not done..seem like all of a sudden we can't get the throttle body that will fix our woes... how ironic :scratchhead:. This thread was informative not comparitive. Sounds like you swallowed the same bitter pill as everyone else bud. WHo ever said that at 17lbs to 17 lbs the maggie would hand the KB its butt. Not me. Let me simplify my OBSERVATION..... Made several pulls-observed log-touched blower-it was hot-said to myself OK thats why Some people use Ice Chests. Stated many times this was the BIG DOG blower and BUILD. See I work to understand the WHY of things and thats why I took the time to speak to those with experience with this unit to see where I could improve. I didn't call anyones baby ugly. It is my goal to maximize ALL combos.

A.J

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
AJ DID YOU FORGET ABOUT US? LOL WAITING ON YOUR RESULTS FROM THE MAGNUSON SC:thumbsup: THANKS, SCHELLO

I did re-test the 5.7 mag after 2 weeks on the road and pulled it back on dyno to see how the tune looked. Recorded 526 whp off the street and we were pretty happy with that. The VVT program is a very high prioity to us and I have to say the more I drive the engine the more I love it. Currently we are working on an 8 rib pulley combo with an extended drive to be able to turn the boost up some more without having to overdrive the accessories. More to follow :)
A.J.

·
Registered
175 Posts
how much heat did the Magnusen produce at 17 psi? Or how much heat did the KB produce at 9.x psi.? Compare apples to apples.

Do you agree more boost = more heat. Comparing 9 psi to 17 psi and making a statement about temperatures so cool on the 9 psi and so hot on 17 psi seems unfair to me?

Seems there is an agenda here somewhere. Arrington????

Would like to see these exact same cars run on a dyno other than Arrington to compare numbers from their dyno to others.

You posted the rwhp of the first two and only said WAY NORTH of 700 on the KB. What are you avoiding by not posting the rwhp of the KB and why not state that too?
There is no agenda at all. No comparison was being made between the two blowers. Just because they were all described in the first post does not mean it was a comparison. Just giving the readers something to enjoy. These were two totally different builds. Nothing in common at all. We were impressed with all the power we gained with the KB. Here is the graph.
Black RT KB.jpg

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
There is no agenda at all. No comparison was being made between the two blowers. Just because they were all described in the first post does not mean it was a comparison. Just giving the readers something to enjoy. These were two totally different builds. Nothing in common at all. We were impressed with all the power we gained with the KB. Here is the graph.
View attachment 16474
You guys were already making 600Tqs at 3000 RPM! CRIKEE

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
I did re-test the 5.7 mag after 2 weeks on the road and pulled it back on dyno to see how the tune looked. Recorded 526 whp off the street and we were pretty happy with that. The VVT program is a very high prioity to us and I have to say the more I drive the engine the more I love it. Currently we are working on an 8 rib pulley combo with an extended drive to be able to turn the boost up some more without having to overdrive the accessories. More to follow :)
A.J.
THANKS FOR THE INFO AJ:thumbsup: KEEP UP THE AWSOME WORK:pimp:
KEEP THE RESULTS COMING. THANKS, SCHELLO

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
A.J.
Can't wait to hear more. Us R/T owners are due a good turn...

HemiSam

21 - 30 of 30 Posts