Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a lot of posts and listened to alot of clips...what are your recommendations for a tad bit deeper sound than stock. I like the deep throaty sound but not the high pitch race car on the street sound. I already have a 1/4mile money pit machine in the next garage bay just for racing. What can I get by to achieve this sound? Just resonators, just muffler or whole cat back system. But from what I noticed most of the cat back systems give you that louder higher frequency sound. Again I want to get to a richer deeper sound than the awefull tone of the stock system. It might sound goofy to say I am looking for a deeper sound than stock but not to much higher frequency louder if you can kind of understand what I am trying to say...thanks in advance to all those who respond.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
You might want to say what were working with here. I know with a RT auto it sounds deeper with a CAI without even doing anything to the exhaust. That's all I have so I can't tell you about the rest.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Read a lot of posts and listened to alot of clips...what are your recommendations for a tad bit deeper sound than stock. I like the deep throaty sound but not the high pitch race car on the street sound. I already have a 1/4mile money pit machine in the next garage bay just for racing. What can I get by to achieve this sound? Just resonators, just muffler or whole cat back system. But from what I noticed most of the cat back systems give you that louder higher frequency sound. Again I want to get to a richer deeper sound than the awefull tone of the stock system. It might sound goofy to say I am looking for a deeper sound than stock but not to much higher frequency louder if you can kind of understand what I am trying to say...thanks in advance to all those who respond.
Check out the MBRP cat-back.I believe it has the sound you are looking for.They now have a drone free system for the SRT & R/T.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry...it is a used 09' RT with and automatic transmission with 8k miles that I just bought last week. So the CAI mod will give the exhaust a little deeper sound? Again basically what I would like to do is just fine tune the stock exhaust to get a little deeper cleaner tone than stock but not too much louder if that makes any sense. Its not that I am trying to be cheap and cut corners but I didn't want to spend a grand on an exhaust that I might be able to get a sound that I am looking for by just tweeking the stock one. Plus I don't want to pi$$ off the better half when she drives it like I do everytime I start up my dragbike in the garage to tune it for the weekend. Thanks again for any info...

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Solo has a great exhaust that's not grand but might be louder then your looking. Maybe blastin bobs fat pipes is what your looking for. There I think $200.00.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your 2 easiest choices would be the new drone-less MBRP or the much cheaper SOLO catbacks. They both have the proper deep muscle car sound as opposed to the high pitched Corsa sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looking at the blastin bobs fat pipes with glass packs. not so crazy about the install and the material but the sample sounds you tube with the 6db over stock is what I am looking for. gonna give him a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Flowmaster Force II 817461

409 stainless steel catback. I bought it from Summit for around $620 and just got it on a few weeks ago. Deeper sound than stock, a bit louder, but not too loud. Tech who installed it for me said it was a great compromise between too loud and too quiet. I have an automatic and I have no drone. I am happy with the result

I am up in Cranberry, if you are close by perhaps we could work out something and you could hear it for yourself.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Magna flow 16514

I was after the same thing as I have kids and this is my daily driver. I ended up going with the magna flow 16514 that comes with two mufflers, two resonators and no exhaust tips. It was exactly what I was looking for a bit louder without the drone, no complaints from myself or the kids.

Good luck on your choice.

Todd

·
Registered
864 Posts
You could switch to a r/t 6-speed exhaust. It's supposed to have a better sound than the rt auto, can get the system Very cheap too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
joseph07081,
My brother lives up your way in Baden, I might take you up on that offer on a weekend I head out to his place. I appreciate the offer...I will PM you ahead of time to make sure you are available sometime.
Thanks again,
Sean

·
Registered
15 Posts
joseph07081,
My brother lives up your way in Baden, I might take you up on that offer on a weekend I head out to his place. I appreciate the offer...I will PM you ahead of time to make sure you are available sometime.
Thanks again,
Sean
Let me know, we are right up the road. On weekends my wife and I head down to Bradys Run Park to walk the track when the weather is nice, so we go right through there.

Joe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Joe...my brother and his wife walk their horses in that park (2 Great Danes) one looks like Marmaduke and the other is white and gray. I told him about your post and he said give him a yell if you see them out there. I called Bob @ Allied Muffler this morning out in Caly and spoke with him about what kind of sound I was looking for. Nice guy, took time and answered all my questions and naturally he knew all about the Drone sound the auto's have a tendency to experience with all types of exhaust systems. After explaining to him that all I am looking for is a throaty deeper sound than stock he pointed me in the direction of his 2 1/4" glasspack resonated kit (4db above stock) instead of the 2 1/2". He said it should be exactly what I am looking for without any drone. Now I know for most it probably would be too quiet but again I just wanted something conservative but more noticeable than the stock sound. I get enough noise on the weekend racing the dragbike. When I get mine done we will have to hook up sometime and compare. Take care and thanks again for the info.
Sean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Joe...my brother and his wife walk their horses in that park (2 Great Danes) one looks like Marmaduke and the other is white and gray. I told him about your post and he said give him a yell if you see them out there. I called Bob @ Allied Muffler this morning out in Caly and spoke with him about what kind of sound I was looking for. Nice guy, took time and answered all my questions and naturally he knew all about the Drone sound the auto's have a tendency to experience with all types of exhaust systems. After explaining to him that all I am looking for is a throaty deeper sound than stock he pointed me in the direction of his 2 1/4" glasspack resonated kit (4db above stock) instead of the 2 1/2". He said it should be exactly what I am looking for without any drone. Now I know for most it probably would be too quiet but again I just wanted something conservative but more noticeable than the stock sound. I get enough noise on the weekend racing the dragbike. When I get mine done we will have to hook up sometime and compare. Take care and thanks again for the info.
Sean
Sure thing, I would love to make the comparison. I was looking at the Blastin Bob's kits when I first bought the call. I saw the videos for the Flowmaster kit and that kind of sold me, but I often wonder what the sound would have been like had I gone with the Blastin Bobs kit.

Joe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Accomplished exactly what I was looking for after I created this post topic. Again thanks to everyones imput and Blastin Bob himself. I ended going with the 4db GP225CE Auto 5.7L 2 1/4" glasspack resonated kit. It gave me exactly the sound I was looking for. I used an exhaust cutter I bought at Harbor Freight which cost me $17, coated both pipes with some VHT Flame (silver color) ceramic paint and followed Bob's directions and measurements. The job was so simple and took next to no time at all. As for the Sound the post topic says it all "a tad bit louder than stock". No "Drone" whatsoever, the best I could describe it would be the perfect sound that the automatics should of rolled off the showroom floor with. Nice mild deep tone with no high pitch tinny sounds in all RPM ranges. For those out there are looking for that louder street car sound this setup wouldn't be for you. Thanks again to all for their imput and especially to Blastin Bob for great svc and a perfect fitting well crafted easy install mod that was well worth my money and time installing. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
The Mopar (Borla) catback exhaust is the perfect exhaust if you already like the stock sound, but want a little bit more. The tone, rumble, volume all sound the same as stock just a bit beefed up. There is some drone associated with this system, but personally I think it sounds cool. This is for a 6 speed by the way. Change of sound on an auto will be more drastic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Accomplished exactly what I was looking for after I created this post topic. Again thanks to everyones imput and Blastin Bob himself. I ended going with the 4db GP225CE Auto 5.7L 2 1/4" glasspack resonated kit. It gave me exactly the sound I was looking for. I used an exhaust cutter I bought at Harbor Freight which cost me $17, coated both pipes with some VHT Flame (silver color) ceramic paint and followed Bob's directions and measurements. The job was so simple and took next to no time at all. As for the Sound the post topic says it all "a tad bit louder than stock". No "Drone" whatsoever, the best I could describe it would be the perfect sound that the automatics should of rolled off the showroom floor with. Nice mild deep tone with no high pitch tinny sounds in all RPM ranges. For those out there are looking for that louder street car sound this setup wouldn't be for you. Thanks again to all for their imput and especially to Blastin Bob for great svc and a perfect fitting well crafted easy install mod that was well worth my money and time installing. :thumbsup:
Glad that worked out so well for you..... I would still like to make a comparison when time allows. I love how my exhaust sounds, but it would be nice for a side by side comparison for future reference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good thread. I went with the Corsa Extreme for the R/T as I wanted to keep the MDS, so there are only a few decent choices when you keep that in mind. I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know how it sounds.

I'm now trying to decide on something for the SRT8. I am looking at a similar criteria as you described here. I'd like it slightly louder, but specifically would like a deeper tone. Big thing for me is I want absolutely no drone ! I've been there done that already on other cars and don't want that on this one. Based on some feedback I'm thinking about the SOLO for the SRT8.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Good thread. I went with the Corsa Extreme for the R/T as I wanted to keep the MDS, so there are only a few decent choices when you keep that in mind. I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know how it sounds.

I'm now trying to decide on something for the SRT8. I am looking at a similar criteria as you described here. I'd like it slightly louder, but specifically would like a deeper tone. Big thing for me is I want absolutely no drone ! I've been there done that already on other cars and don't want that on this one. Based on some feedback I'm thinking about the SOLO for the SRT8.
Have you checked out the new MBRP no-drone system for the SRT8?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts