Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am reaching out to you because this is so absurd it hard to believe.
I bought a Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 50th Anniversary recently.
You would expect a new car to have the minimum safety items required by law and the owners' manual to carry crucial safety information.
And, after spending $60,000 you are not supposed to be treated as the butt of the seller's jokes.

I bought the car and some days later I had a flat. What does one do? Fix it, of course.
But first you need to replace the damaged tire with the spare tire you expect to find in the trunk, right?

At that moment I learned BY CHANCE that: The car does not come with a spare tire. Yes I'm not kidding, IT DOES NOT COME WITH A SPARE!!!! instead of a tire there is a machine and a sealant. I WAS NEVER INFORMED OF THIS by anyone at Dodge.

I love Challengers and this is my 3RD. BUT I would have NEVER bought a car that did not have a crucial element such as a spare tire, IF HAD I BEEN INFORMED OF SUCH.
and even If I did, the first thing I would have done was to fix this absurdity, and have a proper spare tire to avoid THE PROBLEMS that DODGE’S NEGLIGENCE have caused ME.

But back to my recent chain of surprises;

I followed the instructions on the manual and fix the tire. So the next morning I went to a tire shop to get the nail out, ONLY TO BE TOLD THAT THE TIRE COULD NOT BE FIXED. Why? SIMPLY BECAUSE I USED THE SEALANT THAT CAME WITH THE CAR.
I'd have to simply throw out a perfect brand new tire, BECAUSE I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE MANUAL. THERE IS NOTHING ON THE MANUAL ABOUT THIS. NOT A SINGLE WORD.

Now comes the worst part:
I tried to contact the dealership. No success.

I reached out to Dodge, explained my problem, expecting the company to intervene and have the dealership pay attention to me.

My email ran:

I am reaching out to you to require an urgent solution for all these problems caused by the failure in communication from Puente Hills Dodge.

For that, I expect:
1) a new tire
2) a spare tire set, in exchange for the sealant device.

I count on you, because I have tried multiple times to be helped by your team, with no success.

THIS IS THE ANSWER RECEIVED
03:05 (há 16 horas)

para mim

Hello Paulo;
Thank you for contacting Dodge Customer Care.
We are so sorry to learn of your concern with not having a spare tire in your 2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack and I would like to assure you that I will do everything I can to help you out.
Based on the information that you have provided, the best plan of action would be for you to contact your tire Manufacturing company for advise and possible resolution. I have attached the contact information for your tire manufacturer here: Pirelli Tire NA, LLC
100 Pirelli Drive
Rome GA 30161-7000. 800-747-3554
Select option 2 to find a retailer. www.us.pirelli.com ( Retailer Locator)
If it is more convenient for you, call us anytime at Dodge Customer Care: 1-800-992-1997 and just provide the following case number 77661914; anyone you speak with will be happy to help.
Thank you again for your email . Have a great day.
Best regards,
Monica
Dodge Customer Care

I am filing complaints and I am inquiring with my legal assistants about a possible lawsuit.

Paulo Fabbri

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Sorry you had a bad experience, but no Challengers come stock with a spare. In fact you can't even get a spare as an option on Scat Pack and all SRT trims

It's not a safety feature required by law. While I agree it seems ridiculous not to have one, it's been common for several years. if you look around the forum, you will find people asking where to acquire one, companies that make a kit that will work with Brembo brakes, etc. I'm afraid you won't get anywhere with Dodge

There are several pages in the manual describing the procedure if you have a Tire Service Kit, page 215-227 (see attached manual)

While I understand you are upset, there is nothing "wrong" with the situation. If you had asked about a spare, I assume they would have explained. There would not have been an option to add a spare for your car. I'm moving your post to Dealer Experience. It's not really their responsibility that you know all the particulars about the car you are purchasing, but it's more on them than Dodge at this point

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Many car manufacturers are building cars with no spare tire, including Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, Mercedes, Porsche, and Tesla, to name a few. A Guy is right. Going after Dodge will just lead to frustration. Though your recent experience was unsettling, you can find an aftermarket spare to prevent a recurrence. I carry one in my trunk just for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,111 Posts
:unsure: Really? Is this for real....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
You can fix a tire that has been filled with sealant, but many shops will not because it's a smelly, sticky, stinky job. I remember one guy saying it was like baby poop :) But while it's possible the TPMS can be damaged (not a given), the tire itself is not. But who wants to clean out all the goop before they can patch the tire?

So the shop was not correct that it could not be fixed, more precisely they would not fix it

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,028 Posts
I understand your frustration but not knowing the car is sold without a spare tire is on you. Assuming the puncture is in the tread area and small enough that it is safe to repair the tire here are a couple of suggestions.

As A Guy's post explained, tire sealant makes a mess of the inside of the tire and can possibly cause damage to the TPMS so it is understandable that some repair shops choose not to do this kind of repair. Search for another repair shop that will repair the tire. The corner not so fancy shop with a good reputation many be a better option than the big name shops with big name tire brand signs hanging out front. Expect to pay a little more because the mess is time consuming to clean. (Been there done that). Alternately ask if the shop will dismount the tire, allow you to clean the sealant from tire, wheel, and pressure monitor then repair and remount the tire.

Good luck.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You would expect a new car to have the minimum safety items required by law. And the owners' manual to carry crucial safety information.
And, after spending 60.000 you are not supposed to be treated as the butt of the sellers jokes.

I bought the car and some days later I had a flat.
What does one do? Fix it, of course.
But first you need to replace the damaged tire with the spare tire you expect to find in the trunk, right?
At that moment I learned BY CHANCE that: The car does not come with a spare tire. Yes I'm not kidding, IT DOES NOT COME WITH A SPARE!!!! instead of a tire there is a machine and a sealant. I WAS NEVER INFORMED OF THIS by anyone at dodge.

I love Challengers and this is my 3RD. BUT I would have NEVER bought a car that did not have a crucial element such as a spare tire, IF HAD I BEEN INFORMED OF SUCH.
and even If I did, the first thing I would have done was to fix this absurdity, and have a proper spare tire to avoid THE PROBLEMS that DODGE’S NEGLIGENCE have caused ME.

I followed the instructions on the manual and fix the tire.
So the next morning I went to a tire shop to get the nail out, ONLY TO BE TOLD THAT THE TIRE COULD NOT BE FIXED, why? SIMPLY BECAUSE I USED THE SEALANT THAT CAME WITH THE CAR.
I'd have to simply throw out a perfect brand new tire, BECAUSE I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE MANUAL..
THERE IS NOTHING ON THE MANUAL ABOUT THIS. NOT A SINGLE WORD.

I reached out to dodge, explained my problem, expecting the company to intervene and have the dealership pay attention to me.

My email ran:

I am reaching out to you to require an urgent solution for all these problems caused by the failure in communication from puente hills dodge.

For that, I expect:
1) a new tire

I count on you, because I have tried multiple times to be helped by your team, with no success.

para mim

Hello Paulo;
We are so sorry to learn of your concern with not having a spare tire in your 2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack and I would like to assure you that I will do everything I can to help you out.
Based on the information that you have provided, the best plan of action would be for you to contact your tire Manufacturing company for advise and possible resolution. I have attached the contact information for your tire manufacturer here: Pirelli Tire NA, LLC
100 Pirelli Drive
If it is more convenient for you, call us anytime at Dodge Customer Care: 1-800-992-1997 and just provide the following case number 77661914; anyone you speak with will be happy to help.
Best regards,
Monica
Dodge Customer Care

I am filing complaints and I am inquiring with my legal assistants about a possible lawsuit.

Paulo Fabbri

So you just blindly purchased a $60K car without looking it over or doing any research on it? Then you go out of your way to join a Challenger forum to post your rant, which looks pretty foolish considering no new Challengers, as well as many other vehicles, come with a spare tire.
What next, you going to post a rant about how there is no battery under the hood and nobody told you about it? JK

Spend some time researching this forum, as there is a lot of great information that should be able to answer any questions you have on your new SP.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always open every door and compartment when I buy a car, by doing this, I found the spare tire in my 2014 Challenger r/t. Just a thought..... if you would have done that, you would have seen there was no spare in yours. It just is what it is, saves a ton of weight in the trunk and saves money for Dodge. But I don’t think they “owe” us a spare because we bought these cars; they provide a means to quick fix a flat, it’s a spare tire or repair kit, or just free towing/road side assistance. Sorry you had a flat tire sir. Just bad luck there....no reason to sue anyone.
Gotta say, in 40 years of car driving, I’ve had only one flat. Motorcycle flats are even worse and I’ve had a few of those, very expensive tires,

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
Yeah welcome to 20 years ago! It's not just Dodge but virtually NO automaker includes or even offers a spare any more. Do I like this? No, but it is the way that it is today and has been for some time.

So what are your options? The best spare tire kit right now is from Modern Spare so you can purchase one. Unless you have the Harman Kardon stereo with the subwoofers it will mount in the normal location. It's gonna set you back over $300 but not much else you can do and not a chance Dodge gives you a free spare or swaps your tire service kit for a spare.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Damn dude - appreciate the frustration but its well known there is no spare. Most insurance, car clubs and other things that you may have ties to provide free roadside service when needed. They will repair the tire when possible on the side of the road.
Either way, call around, there are tire shops that will fix the tire (If it is a repairable location of the puncture). Remember you bought the car because you liked it, don't pay hundreds to an attorney (there's always one dumb enough to take this case) put the time effort and money into fixing it and getting to drive it!

Good luck either way -

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
Things happen. Flat tires is one of those things. Hate flat tires. Especially in the age where any spare is rare now. And a full sized spare? Ain't going to happen. Well, except my 2020 M-B Metris van came with a full size spare. I liked to cried tears of joy...

My 2018 MINI JCW came with run flats. "horrible" tires until one day I hit the road to work and got a low tire warning. I just continued to drive the 10 miles to the dealer -- it was on my way -- and had the bad tire and the tire on the other side replaced.

At any rate, for the flat tire you have my sympathy.

If you would not have bought the car had you known it had no spare tire to fail to check for this before you bought the car is on you.

My Hellcat driver side rear tire was punctured at around 13.5K miles. I used the tire kit of my 2018 Hellcat to repair the tire. The kit worked and impressively so.

I do not know how long the repair would have held up but it let me inflate the tire to around 40psi -- I wanted some "extra" air in the tire in case the puncture seal was not 100% -- then drove around 4 miles to the nearest Dodge dealer who I had called before to ask about tires. I found out it had 2 tires of the kind I had on my car so I had both rear tires replaced. The punctured tire and the other tire.

Chances are the sealed tire would have been ok. I did not drive on the tire under inflated and the puncture was not at the sidewall and the item in the tire was as best I could tell way less an 1/4" in diameter.

But I decided not to take any chances. I have owned a number of rather high performance cars over the years and for some time now as the cars get more "exotic" and the tires likewise I don't repair I just replacde the tire and often the tire on the other side because the tread depth difference between the new tire and the other tire was so much -- over 30% -- that for safety's sake and my peace of mind I replaced both tires. I followed this with my Hellcat and I will follow this with my 2020 Scat Pack, should it get a tire puncture.

Many dealers no longer "fix" flats. This is not new. They can tell you any number of reasons. Maybe they blame the sealant. But the sealant dries and can be removed by just peeling it off the inside of the tire so that's no reason. The main reason is probably it just isn't worth the hassle. There is a judgement call regarding the condition of the tire among other things.

Really you are over reacting and frankly except for the fact you got a puncture and on a new tire and on a new car I can't give you any sympathy.

And you think you have a case for a lawsuit? No way.

Move on.

Be sure you replace the canister of sealant and in other ways ensure the kit is reusable. Likely you are going to need it again at some point.

Then enjoy the car and put this behind you.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Less and less cars all the time come with a spare. The amount of people who actually use them is very negligible so the cost factor, used up trunk space plus lugging the extra weight around for life made the manufacturers decide to quit using them.

You have to figure 50% of the drivers are women (yea yea) and plenty of men don’t trust other drivers to be paying enough attention as to not run them over while they are messing with a tire on the side of the road. The other big factor is 100% of the drivers can make a cell phone call to get it towed to a tire shop where it will have to go to anyway.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. Gonna jinx myself now. My wife's 2008 Ford Escape is 12 years old 170k miles and never had a flat. All of my Challengers (from 2010) have never gotten a flat but plenty of nails & screws but not to the point where it went flat. I was able to plug most of them myself when I noticed the low air alert. I agree, getting a flat just sucks but not knowing you don't have a spare is on you. How many folks that actually has a spare even checks to make sure it's good, has air, etc.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,275 Posts
You would expect a new car to have the minimum safety items required by law. And the owners' manual to carry crucial safety information.
And, after spending 60.000 you are not supposed to be treated as the butt of the sellers jokes.

I bought the car and some days later I had a flat.
What does one do? Fix it, of course.
At that moment I learned BY CHANCE that: The car does not come with a spare tire. Yes I'm not kidding, IT DOES NOT COME WITH A SPARE!!!! instead of a tire there is a machine and a sealant. I WAS NEVER INFORMED OF THIS by anyone at dodge.

I followed the instructions on the manual and fix the tire.
So the next morning I went to a tire shop to get the nail out, ONLY TO BE TOLD THAT THE TIRE COULD NOT BE FIXED, why? SIMPLY BECAUSE I USED THE SEALANT THAT CAME WITH THE CAR.
I'd have to simply throw out a perfect brand new tire, BECAUSE I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE MANUAL..
THERE IS NOTHING ON THE MANUAL ABOUT THIS. NOT A SINGLE WORD.

I reached out to dodge, explained my problem, expecting the company to intervene and have the dealership pay attention to me.

My email ran:

I am reaching out to you to require an urgent solution for all these problems caused by the failure in communication from puente hills dodge.

For that, I expect:
1) a new tire

para mim

Hello Paulo;
100 Pirelli Drive
Best regards,
Monica
Dodge Customer Care

Paulo Fabbri

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I skipped the sunroof and used that money to buy a matching tire and wheel. It fills the trunk, you can't miss it.
Vehicle Car Trunk City car Compact car

·
Super Moderator
17,469 Posts
Any Challenger that has Brembo brakes and / or the Harman Kardon (Performance Audio) just have the sealant and air pump.

One the SXT and R/T trims - the compact spare tire & jack are optional - has been this way from the start.
-I know, as when I ordered my 2009 R/T it was extra cost.

Any of the 50th Anniversary V8 models come with either 4 p= iston or 6 piston Brembo brake packages = no spare tire

And yes I've heard of shops that don't want to bother with trying to clean puncture sealant out of the tire.
-either the type or location on the puncture might not be repairable
-shop doesn't have the supplies to clean up the sealant residue

Reactions: cruiserdan
1 - 20 of 72 Posts