Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SXT Plus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fiance and I just bought a white knuckle 2017 SXt Plus with black top package. Our criteria was convienence group, leather and Nav and this combination is apparently hard to find. Color choices were preferable black and then anything but white, Mango, or go green. The dealership said they only had one on the lot in white and they were part of a very large mutiple location dealership and said there were no others that fit our criteria within 400 miles at any dealer. We spent 5 hours negotiating and asking them to keep looking since I had seen at least 3 at their sister dealership online. We said we would go to another dealer to see for ourselves several times but they kept (I think stalling) us and saying they are working on something so we gave them a chance.

One of the salesmen actually suggested moving leather seats from the white one to a black one but then we would lose ventilated seats and other features so this was a no go. The white one they had with leather and convience package was missing the Nav. In the end the dealer said they will install Navation but will have to swap out the head units and will call to set up an install time. At this point it was 8pm so we agreed.

Price was $30624 + $1795 for NAV system (they say it cannot be software upgraded) and Labor, $80 document processing fee $995 express systems (I'll get to this in a minute), $2595.79 sales tax, $29 Reg transfer charge plus license fees of $338.75 for a total of $36457.54. We put $2700 down and received $3250 rebate for $30507.54 financed for 72 months at 2.49% for $457.07 a month.

While we were noegotiating the salesman took us over the the Hellcat in the showroom and said the dealership adds specials packages to every car and these are required. It included Stolen vehicle recovery GPS tracking for $995 which would "allow us to track the car from our phones!", Enviromental protection package $895 which is a paint sealent and vehicle protection package which includes 3m door edge guards and cup guards, gorilla wheel locks and nitrogen tire inflation for a total of $2995. I said NO, NO, NO and he crossed them out. When we went to do the financing this Express Systems was there but I did not know what it was and the guy told us it was already installed. I also did not see the full paper I was signing or have time to really understand it. When I asked about it he said it was GPS tracking and couldn't be removed. He also really tried to hard sell the extended warranties and I kept saying No, no, no, no.

When we got home I looked over everything in detail and what they sold us for $995 is glass etching that will pay $2500 if the vehicle is stolen in the first 3 years and NOT recovered within 30 days. This is NOT GPS tracking which I may have kept if it was as he described. When we asked the salesman more about it he said it was better than lojack. I did not want to pay for this in the first place and I am very angry they added it in anyway. I did my research which I should have done in the finance office but I did not have the paperwork and we were hungry and tired.

I am now worried about the Nav upgrade and want to get something more in writing (we do have a "get ready instructions" with 5202A1499 MCFATTEN NAV UP LIFT listed) in case we got swindled on that too and I am doing down there today with my Portfolio protection express code/Etch cancellation form. The car we bought didn't even have this dealer installed options posted on the window and I should have pointed that out to them!

Please let me know what you think about the prices and what this dealer did. I feel they are defrauding customers with these extra charges that were not correctly disclosed. I read the charge for Express code/etch wildly varies and is basically a scam and pure dealer profit and ours was on the high end for this "service".

Sorry this is so long, I couldn't get to sleep until 3:30am thinking about all of this. The dealership was so nice and that makes it even worse that we were taken advantage of and I can't enjoy having this very cool car until I get this sorted out. :crying:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts
Oh man, no offense, but I would have never signed for that car. Not sure what state you are in, and it's laws, but if at all possible. I'd bring it back. Those guys are the type that give all dealers a bad rep. But ultimately you are responsible for making sure you know exactly what you are paying for, and everything is agreeable before you sign. It sound like they dinged you for $1000's for things you didn't need, or want. If they say that they are required, then you need to to somewhere else. I wouldn't trust a dealership like that as far as I could throw it. Hell, I bet if you contacted Steve White, a vendor on here, and paid shipping you'd still come out better. Your dealership was NOT nice. They are snakes. If you can get out from under that car, I would do so. There are other dealerships, and you can order and get the car you want. Sorry for what you are into now. A Guy

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nitrogen is snake oil and completely unnecessary. The etched glass thing is a waste. Paint protection package that dealers offer is stupid, and doesn't really do anything. Anything the dealer offers you can get done after the fact for a lot cheaper, if you wanted it done. I have never taken any dealer options, not even an extended warranty.

If you can, I'd roll that car right back to them and get rid of it. At most dealers, I think you could have gotten an R/T for as much as you paid.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Ditto with AGuy. They scammed you for everything but your shirt. Get out of it if at all possible. Go on cars.com and do a search for whatever range you want. There are lots of cars the way you want out there for far, far less. Go on dealership web sites, find what you want and email through the site for a quote. That way you get internet sales not the sharks swarming around the lot. This is the end of the model year. There are rebates of a few thousand and dealer markdowns of several more thousands. I bought my 2016 SXT Plus last September. Navigation, Vapor package (similar to Blacktop), Convenience group, Sound group. Listed for $34,500. I paid $28,000. No fuss, no muss online negotiations. And with dealer add on's, like Nancy Reagan used to say, just say NO!. If they put them on, that doesn't mean you have to pay for them.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Yikes, I agree with everything already stated.

Get out of that if you can. If not, enjoy it and learn from this lesson.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
It sounds like instead of the salesman thinking of your needs to be happy, he was more interested in moving his stock. You need to get out of this deal if you can, go to web sites like cars.com and find the car you want and work it from there. Your grasp of the word "NO!" while good, was not good enough for this dealership. Good luck with whatever you do......

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
Local dealer near me is known for bait and switch tactics, I use their service department but would never buy a car there, I test drive what I want there and then go to a different dealership. I test drove a 2017 R/T plus that had a $44k sticker price, went down the road and got a 2015 R/T plus with 20k miles and the EXACT same options for $28,500 out the door, ya I know it's not a 17 but when there is a savings of roughly $15,000 sign me up. I have bought new vehicles in the past and it's just too hard for me to throw money down the drain on depreciation in the first year alone. Hope you get everything resolved on your end.

·
Registered
2017 SXT Plus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your advice and while I do not like confrontations I thought that I did a pretty good job keeping my feelings in check. We need to buy this car because we had one that had broken down so we were kind in a position where we had to make a deal this weekend.

We spoke to the sales manager and he listened but in the end said he couldn't cancel it which did not help when I was angry. He did show what the $995 included and said he did not charge us the $2995 for the rest of the items. While I'm still not happy about how it was done, we do gave real time gps tracking which I set up on my phone and computer and was able to see the entire history of the Car so that was pretty neat and I can track it in real time. It has a disable feature so if it did get stolen I would be able to turn it off From my phone. I can see why dealerships would like this feature. Paint protection and 3m door guards are silly and I don't care about nitrogen in the tires but they did give locking lug nuts. He did see my point that the salesman and the finance guy should have done a better job at telling us exactly what we were getting and Provide some documentation or brochure instead of giving me a piece of paper that showed we were charged $995 for window etching that I didn't want or need.

Our total OTD price was $33207 for V6 with nappa leather, 8 speed automatic, 20" granite wheels, performance steering wheel and brakes, driver convienence group with blind spot monitoring, remote start, rear camera and parking sensors, heated steering wheel and heated and ventilated seats, SXT appearance package includes spoiler and black center stripe plus 8.4 Navigation.

I made him initial the form for the navigation to make sure that this was what we are going to get and he gave us his business card with a free tank of gas listed on it for the next time we were in the area.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Tell the Sales Manager that unless he refunds you for anything you didn't want, you'll (a) file a complaint with Dodge, and (2), go ono Yelp, Facebook, and Twitter with a factual and detailed account of their crooked and deceptive practices. Believe it or not, they will be especially concerned about the bad detailed review on Yelp; a LARGE number of car buyers check dealer references on such platforms, and such a bad review could keep shoppers from even stopping by.

Other than that my friend, you signed the papers and accepted the keys; live and learn.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
First off there's more than $3,000 rebate on The Challengers this month.

Second, NEVER spend "5 hours negotiating" because you'll get tired and or hungry and you make bad decisions. If they can't get the price you need within a hour get up and leave and tell them to call you when they can agree to your price, they don't like it when you leave because they know you won't be back or you'll go to another dealer.

3rd, the SXT Plus comes standard with the 8.4 touch screen and Sound Group 1 and it's already set up for Nav, they just have to install it and it's only about $600 or so.
There's NO need to "swap heads" or units or radios, they BS'd you on that.
I just bought a new 2016 SXT PLus and it's "Nav ready" but the Nav ins't installed.

Talk to the GM and ONLY the GM and tell him you want a refund on all the stuff they charged you for......of course he'll say why did you sign for it if you didn't want it?
Even so he can either take the car back or refund you the thousands that you paid for stuff you didn't need.

You should have been able to buy that SXT Plus for 4 or $5,000 less than MSRP.
This is the CASH price of the vehicle BEFORE tax, title and licence which is usually about 10% added on to the cash price.

You didn't say what the sticker MSRP was???

·
Registered
2017 SXT Plus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell the Sales Manager that unless he refunds you for anything you didn't want, you'll (a) file a complaint with Dodge, and (2), go ono Yelp, Facebook, and Twitter with a factual and detailed account of their crooked and deceptive practices. Believe it or not, they will be especially concerned about the bad detailed review on Yelp; a LARGE number of car buyers check dealer references on such platforms, and such a bad review could keep shoppers from even stopping by.

Other than that my friend, you signed the papers and accepted the keys; live and learn.
I can escalate it up to Dodge Customer service, post a bad review as you said and not give them all 10's on the survey they REALLY want to send me. If we do have the benefits as described my fiance is satisfied and he is making the payment. He is really starting to love the Knuckle white with black stripe/trim. I learned from my last car buying experience to stand very firmly on my ground and say no to all extended warranties and dealer added items so this really pissed me off that I did not question it more carefully at the time.

They said they took a loss on this car (I doubt it!) because they really needed my business to boost their portfolio since I have near perfect credit. I don't know if this is true and if they were just trying to close the deal but they said only about 1 customer a week has excellent credit and most people coming can't afford their higher priced cars. Most cars in the area were white, black, destroyer gray or yellow with fabric seats and 5" screens and this was the end of a big promotion so most of the good ones were gone. This was a dealership not very local to us since we stopped by on the way from a visit with family.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts
Well, at this point I'll say enjoy your beautiful car. No matter what, you do have a new beautiful car :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Registered
2017 SXT Plus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2017 changed out the. headunit to Panasonic and it is not upgradable which is stupid. I've been reading up on it thinking maybe they were trying to pull a fast one but the dealer is correct. We had a trucar price and the negotiations were trying to find the car with all the features and the right color but at the end of the month right before the incentives end we didn't have much to choose from. The original plan was to order one this weekend exactly as we wanted but my finance 2003 cavalier broke down on the freeway and it's not worth putting any more money into fixing it. Sticker I think was $32,460 but that's without the nav

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 SXT Plus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, at this point I'll say enjoy your beautiful car. No matter what, you do have a new beautiful car

A Guy
Yes, thank you and we will certainly enjoy it and we're already looking into adding some cool modifications and reading much more on this site on how to make the absolute most out of the new family member.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
It certainly was infuriating to read this post. Another case of experienced schisters at car dealerships taking advnatage of a sincere, but naive, customer who had his sights set on a Challenger and was fully taken advantage of.

I know Dodge Customer Service monitors this site, I sure as Hell hope they step in and try to help.

Enough is enough!

On the other hand, I must take the OP to task for allowing himself to be bullied and muscled. For Christ's sake, next time you start getting treated like a gashol, please just walk out.

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
That's a BS dealership, when I wanted a white SPS, Dick Poe Dodge didn't have on. They found one in San Marcos Texas, 588 miles away, I liked the options, signed the paper and the car was here in 2 days. I got exactly what I wanted and got the Dodge rebate and the dealer rebates. Don't buy what you don't want or you will live with buyers remorse

·
Registered
2017 SXT Plus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The GPS is through Nimbo and is like lojack. It updates the vehicle every 5 minutes and you can see its exact location on a phone or computer. I don't know if my fiance thinks its as cool as I do that I can see where the car is at all times! Do I think it's worth $995, no but everything else went ok and I will hold final judgement until we get the navigation installed.

https://gpstrackit.com/gps-tracking-meets-cloud-computing-technology-with-nimbo-gps-app-from-gtc/

We are happy with the car and it already has a name - White Knight. I was thinking more like TK 421 but I was outvoted. I did check for myself, following instructions on line on how to upgrade the infortainment to navigation and when checking the software version I just get a link to us.panasonic.com and it does not allow me the option to do the rest of the steps. Hopefully this new unit won't require an additional charge to activate and it has to be installed by a certified technican to make sure it works with the blind spot monitoring and so it will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2017 SXT Plus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a BS dealership, when I wanted a white SPS, Dick Poe Dodge didn't have on. They found one in San Marcos Texas, 588 miles away, I liked the options, signed the paper and the car was here in 2 days. I got exactly what I wanted and got the Dodge rebate and the dealer rebates. Don't buy what you don't want or you will live with buyers remorse
The manager showed us his computer while searching for cars that had the items we required and while they showed up earlier they were either not available anymore or the site I used was not updated. They offered to have a car delivered to the lot within a couple of hours or to our house if we could find the right one. I suggested we go check out some other dealers to see for ourselves but my finance wanted to give them a chance to see what they could so since they were trying hard to find exactly what we wanted. If our other car had not died this would not have been a problem because we had already decided to go in and order one to our specifications this weekend.

I hate to be the one to say I told you so but I had been pushing my finance for almost 2 years to get a new car but he kept stalling until he was forced to do it. I am being careful not to rub it in because he knows I am right. :laugh2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also had a poor experience at my Dodge dealership but after extensive heated arguments I eventually got the price I wanted. Buying a car should not devolve into a gd fight and sifting through wanton lies/misdirection from salesman/managers. I will def never buy from a Dodge dealership ever again. Can always find a clean, slightly used Challenger at a Honda lot or whatever. Like the guy above, I got one a few years old with low miles for about 18k less than the guy before me bought it new for. Hopefully you have some recourse in this matter.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts