Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone, I recently saw a thread here on the A8 Shifter Handle as to the proper operation. Some of us experience having to depress the trigger to downshift in manual mode. I do on my 16 Challenger Scat. Others do not. In that thread Hurst went back and forth and then formally announced : You should NOT have to depress the Trigger to downshift in manual mode. Hurst stated that since the factory trannie has an electronic lockout, a manual one is not needed. Hurst provided a # to call if we are having this issue. I saw this 2 weeks ago and I called that #.

I called and spoke to Customer Service Rep "Ignacio" who was very helpful and was aware of the problem. Ignacio stated for me to send my shifter in and they would repair my handle. I stated "no way" and was informed that I would have to purchase another one, and when I sent the old on back in I would receive a refund. I was told this is because of so many people "ripping them off" by not returning the old handles. I can believe that , so I threw another one on my CC. A few days later...the new one arrived. This is where the fun begins:

After installing the new one.....I had EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM! I called back and then spoke with customer service agent "Ronnie". After bringing Ronnie up to speed, he informed me that is the way the Shifter handle is SUPPOSED to work!!! I was startled to say the least! Ronnie stated that a mechanical lockout was a "good thing" and that it was correct....and there was NO PROBLEM! I then informed Ronnie of the post by Hurst here on this forum. Ronnie stated it was the "IT Dept" that post on the Internet and their office was down the hall from him and he knew who they were. Then a long silence......... (Ronnie was done)

So....I asked Ronnie if he was speaking OFFICIALLY for Hurst and Ronnie replied "Yes....I work here". I then asked Ronnie to PLEASE check further into this and he stated that he would and would call me back in a day or two. (I never heard back from Ronnie)

The next day I called back and reached Ignacio again and he did some field work for me. He asked that I give him a week to talk to everyone and he would call me back. To his credit, Ignacio called me back several times. Ignacio stated that the R&D dept was doing some testing, and promised me a fix in short order. Sure enough, I received a new "lower trigger" that must be installed into the handle. I have attached pictures of the instructions from the trigger kit.

I got the new lower trigger installed today, and it is MUCH improved action and flawless upshifts and downshifts. There is about 1/2 the trigger travel there was before. It is easier to operate than before. You do NOT have to remove the handle to repair.....just remove the drivers side plate and install.

SUMMARY: I am disappointed that Hurst's Customer Service agents are NOT on the same page. I am disappointed that I had to pay over 200 bucks for ANOTHER handle just to get service! I am Disappointed that I had to repair the handle myself after paying a PREMIUM price for their product. However....I do love the handle so I decided it was worth it to keep it and "suffer through". Thank you Ignacio for your dedication and doing the best you could to make me happy. I know you were limited by management. I will be sending my old handle back this week for refund. If there are any more problems, I will update this post immediately.

I hope this helps this Forum in search of the final answer for the proper operation. A mechanical lockout on top of an electrical lockout is NOT needed.

Have a great day..........Gene T:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
This is not a surprise to me in the least. Hurst's products have been on the decline in terms of QC for years, after the company was bought. I myself had a terrible interaction with one of their customer service people which resulted in the guy raising his voice to me, believe it or not. After that, I removed the Hurst six speed shifter from my car and threw it in the garbage. I ordered a Barton the next day and found that both their products and customer service are light years better than Hurst's. Sorry you are having these problems with them. I know it can be very frustrating.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! When you rip out your shifter and throw it in the trash......you are PISSED!! I am sorry to hear that Rob. That is a REAL shame. Customer Service agents are supposed to be there to RESCUE the sale....not kill it!

I looked at the Barton Shifter handles for the A8 and although they are very nice.....none portrayed the "old school" pistol grip image as well as the Hurst. That's the ONLY reason I toughed it out. I doubt I will do business with them in the future....unless they fire Ronnie!

Thanks for the reply Rob............Gene:)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Here is my shifter. No one has one like it. I have had this thing since 1987, when it was installed in my Oldsmobile Cutlass. It was brass then and I had it chrome plated. It doesn't do a damn thing except look cool. Its out of a UH-1 helicopter that I used to fly.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You win!!! lol That thing is SWEET!

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Here is my shifter. No one has one like it. I have had this thing since 1987, when it was installed in my Oldsmobile Cutlass. It was brass then and I had it chrome plated. It doesn't do a damn thing except look cool. Its out of a UH-1 helicopter that I used to fly.
There is a guy here that goes to a local cruise night that flew his Huey in Vietnam and has that control as his shifter in a very nice Mustang. His license plate is a Vietnamese phrase of Sin Loy which translates to pardon me but in slang it means tough sh*t.

Clint

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
WOW! When you rip out your shifter and throw it in the trash......you are PISSED!! I am sorry to hear that Rob. That is a REAL shame. Customer Service agents are supposed to be there to RESCUE the sale....not kill it!

I looked at the Barton Shifter handles for the A8 and although they are very nice.....none portrayed the "old school" pistol grip image as well as the Hurst. That's the ONLY reason I toughed it out. I doubt I will do business with them in the future....unless they fire Ronnie!

Thanks for the reply Rob............Gene:)
Pissed to say the least, Gene. I'm an extremely cordial and calm person, and whoever their customer service guy was at the time made it clear he just didn't want to help me. I asked if he could transfer me to someone else to talk to, and the guy raised his voice and said "I don't have a boss! If you want help, you're stuck with me!" Unreal.

Barton's are really only top dog for manual trannies, their auto shifters are okay looking, not as cool aesthetically as the Hurst, but at least they work as designed. Wish there was another option out there for you.

Good luck.

Rob

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unreal Rob!!! I might have been tempted to go see him since your in Cali! I have to agree with you that Barton Auto handles do not do it for me either. With the new Trigger......the Hurst Pistol Grip Handle looks and performs just perfect! Ignacio really saved the day on this one. The agent that you spoke with sounds like Ronnie. Attitude and whatever he thinks or feels goes. Small power trip ....Sad. Sorry bout that Rob...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just wanted to thank the OP for this thread. I got my Hurst shifter handle last week and installed it on Friday. Guess what? You have to pull the trigger to downshift in manual mode. Thanks to this thread, I knew that there was a lower trigger upgrade for this problem. So I called Hurst this morning and they are shipping out a new lower trigger to me.

If Hurst is reading this thread, there are still problems with the current batch of Hurst shifters. My order number was 553946 on November 2 if you want to check on recent production and sales.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was hoping Hurst would FIX this so no one else would have to go through it! But I'm glad my info helped. Be sure to add a little grease and you will love it........Gene:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just got the updated lower trigger installed and it works perfect. Very easy to install- takes about 5 minutes. Thanks to Hurst for sending it out so fast. Now it works as advertised.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts