Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Mine down shifts as it slows down and sounds just like a manual dropping a gear - I like it and would not change it.
It's a great trans (best auto I've ever used) and is equally impressive in my buddy's Maserati.
I did a lot of research on this tranny before buying. I didn't want to get some kind new technology lemon and I found it is a very reliable and strong trans used in many exotics that is highly thought of.

Reactions: Max57

·
Premium Member
2015 SRT 392
666 Posts
I respectfully disagree with OP. This A8 is perfect. It downshifts just as I would do with a manual. In fact, its probably the best engineered and tuned non-sequential auto on the planet.

Way-to-go Dodge!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
This automatic especially mated to this beast of an engine is simply of of the best pieces of engineered automotive technology on earth.

AND, we have its little bro in a Grand Cherokee with a V6. Makes it seem like a V8!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm glad to hear that after seeing the other thread about problems. Appears that if there are problems, it's not with the v6. The "problems" could just be the drivers aren't use to this new auto, which apparently as you slow down, you get the feel of each downshift.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It's also a learning curve for the trans over a few thousand miles. My wife's grand Cherokee with the v6 downshifted a bit harsh when new but over time its barely noticeable now.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
This automatic especially mated to this beast of an engine is simply of of the best pieces of engineered automotive technology on earth.

AND, we have its little bro in a Grand Cherokee with a V6. Makes it seem like a V8!
My 15 GC 3.6 A8 holds onto gears a long time when cold going through the neighborhood. At minimum, 2500 rpm shifts accelerating slowly. Sometimes 3k in similar conditions. Then there are unexpected jolting shifts. All this in Eco mode too. It's not like the A8 behavior in the SRT. The SRT is deliberate and predictable...well situated shift points in the SRT.

Do you see anything like this in your GC?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
My 15 GC 3.6 A8 holds onto gears a long time when cold going through the neighborhood. At minimum, 2500 rpm shifts accelerating slowly. Sometimes 3k in similar conditions. Then there are unexpected jolting shifts. All this in Eco mode too. It's not like the A8 behavior in the SRT. The SRT is deliberate and predictable...well situated shift points in the SRT.

Do you see anything like this in your GC?
No, the GC is very smooth. Almost cannot notice shifts up or down. In ECO it shifts up faster and starts in second, also smooth in our Jeep.

The SRT Cat is simply a dream. Default at Street tranny for very smooth and respectable traffic behavior. Up to Track tranny mode for a really notable difference in shift points, gear shift timing and pressure. Thing can really be a Jekyll and Hyde.

That down shifting routine the A8 does is great in Hellcat, it can sound like a quick shifting manual in track mode. January build with the mid-Jan flash. I won't let them change my current flash unless they have a real good reason.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
No, the GC is very smooth. Almost cannot notice shifts up or down. In ECO it shifts up faster and starts in second, also smooth in our Jeep.

The SRT Cat is simply a dream. Default at Street tranny for very smooth and respectable traffic behavior. Up to Track tranny mode for a really notable difference in shift points, gear shift timing and pressure. Thing can really be a Jekyll and Hyde.

That down shifting routine the A8 does is great in Hellcat, it can sound like a quick shifting manual in track mode. January build with the mid-Jan flash. I won't let them change my current flash unless they have a real good reason.
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I need to schedule an appointment with the dealer. I did speak to a rep and she mentioned that there may be a TSB flash avaliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts