Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Premium Member
Awesome! So happy for you. Yes sometimes you have to dealer shop for repairs............SADLY!

Registered
So Far So Good

UPDATE:

I finally got the car back yesterday (took the dealership a couple of days longer than planned, but I wasnt in a hurry).

Its first real test involved another long distance (65 miles each way) work related appointment this morning. I drove it gently on the way up out of an abundance of caution and it did fine. After my appointment, I decided to take advantage of wide open desert back roads and freeways to flog the &*%@ out of it to see if it would hold up. Verdict? It did fine. Trans temp never went over 200, and would come back down a few degrees on its own if it got close to it. Hope I'm not dooming myself by proclaiming victory so soon, but I think the boys at Shaver CDJR in Thousand Oaks got it right.馃憤

Thanks for all your responses and suggestions during this awful, awful ordeal. :x
Greetings Ponch,

I know your post regarding your transmission overheating is three years old; however, I am following up with you to see if you have had anymore issues with your transmission? I have a 2015 Challenger SRT 392 and experienced the exact same issue a couple of weeks ago and of course the dealer gave me the same response, "There is no code showing; take the car home and see if the issue happens again); the issue happened again the following week. I have 45,000 miles on my vehicle; however, a new transmission was installed a month ago due to some unusual hard shifts and a faulty valve body. I love my car but this has been a terrible dealership experience, so much so that I am in the process of writing a letter to corporate and considering leaving dodge for good.

Registered
Greetings Ponch,

I know your post regarding your transmission overheating is three years old; however, I am following up with you to see if you have had anymore issues with your transmission? I have a 2015 Challenger SRT 392 and experienced the exact same issue a couple of weeks ago and of course the dealer gave me the same response, "There is no code showing; take the car home and see if the issue happens again); the issue happened again the following week. I have 45,000 miles on my vehicle; however, a new transmission was installed a month ago due to some unusual hard shifts and a faulty valve body. I love my car but this has been a terrible dealership experience, so much so that I am in the process of writing a letter to corporate and considering leaving dodge for good.
I am interested too as to the outcome. I have a 2016 R/T Charger and after having many transmission issues from being locked in 8th gear and my Instrumentation going crazy, hard downshift from 2nd to 1st when stopping in traffic and hard up-shift. Finally got the dealer to replace the transmission at 48,000 miles and put about 300 miles on it. About 100 miles into a trip to Chicago while cruising at 80 MPH, I noticed the trans temp was at 257*. Called dealer while on the road and Service advisor asked if the light had come on which it hadn't. He told me to "Keep on truckin on". Temp stayed between 240 and 260* while maintaining speeds of 70-80 MPH. I also noticed my fuel economy was about 10% lower than normal for this trip from past trips. On the way home in Texas, finally had the transmission overheat light come on at 275*. I slowed down so it would cool off and make it home. Dealer is now telling me they need to replace the trans cooler which is not under warranty. I have asked them if there was any debris from the last transmission that could have cause a blockage and they said no. I have an issue with their diagnostic as I had no overheat issues with the last transmission and knowing that the fluid has been changed at least 3 times in 50,000 miles.

Thanks

Rad

Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
What I would suspect when an automatic is running hot is lack of converter lockup. Note RPM at a given speed/gear on level, or slight upgrade, and compare often. When locked, speed-gear-RPM should be constant, if it varies, (RPM high) you have slippage, probably a converter not locked up. And that generates tons of heat.

Registered
What I would suspect when an automatic is running hot is lack of converter lockup. Note RPM at a given speed/gear on level, or slight upgrade, and compare often. When locked, speed-gear-RPM should be constant, if it varies, (RPM high) you have slippage, probably a converter not locked up. And that generates tons of heat.
I don鈥檛 think that is the issue as at 80 MPH I am only turning about 1700 RPM鈥檚.

Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
I don鈥檛 think that is the issue as at 80 MPH I am only turning about 1700 RPM鈥檚.
Sure doesn't! Any signs of leakage?

Registered
No signs of any leakage.
Greetings Rad Man,
I am following up on this post to see if you were able to get your issue resolved in regards to your transmission overheating? In short, I have been dealing with the same issue for over a year and three replacement transmissions later for which the third transmission just recently reached a temperature of 246 after driving approximately three hours straight, all highway miles at an average speed of 79 mph and the outside temperature was a consistent 46 degrees; Chrysler and the dealership are currently researching the issue. My vehicle has approximately 50k miles and has never been lunched, taken to a drag strip or a race track however, I often have to take long road trips that normally average over 5 hours. Note that the Cooler bypass valve and the Valve body have both been replaced with each replacement transmission per the dealer however the problem still exists.

Registered
Greetings Rad Man,
I am following up on this post to see if you were able to get your issue resolved in regards to your transmission overheating? In short, I have been dealing with the same issue for over a year and three replacement transmissions later for which the third transmission just recently reached a temperature of 246 after driving approximately three hours straight, all highway miles at an average speed of 79 mph and the outside temperature was a consistent 46 degrees; Chrysler and the dealership are currently researching the issue. My vehicle has approximately 50k miles and has never been lunched, taken to a drag strip or a race track however, I often have to take long road trips that normally average over 5 hours. Note that the Cooler bypass valve and the Valve body have both been replaced with each replacement transmission per the dealer however the problem still exists.
Unfortunately I have had a falling out with that dealership. I also have not had time to take the vehicle to an independent repair shop. Having been a Service Manager in the marine industry for 17+ years, I hear a lot of a lot of far fetched reasons why something failed from techs. I can smell the BS a mile away. I smelt it at this dealership. This does not make me a Auto Transmission Expert by any means. I have reached a point where I do not feel confident in taking this vehicle on long trips and really like the body style changes on the 2019 and up models. May be time to trade in.

Rad

Registered
Unfortunately I have had a falling out with that dealership. I also have not had time to take the vehicle to an independent repair shop. Having been a Service Manager in the marine industry for 17+ years, I hear a lot of a lot of far fetched reasons why something failed from techs. I can smell the BS a mile away. I smelt it at this dealership. This does not make me a Auto Transmission Expert by any means. I have reached a point where I do not feel confident in taking this vehicle on long trips and really like the body style changes on the 2019 and up models. May be time to trade in.

Rad
Merry Christmas Rad Man,

I sincerely appreciate your response.

Unfortunately, I am feeling the same way.

Hopefully Chrysler and the dealership will finally come together and resolve this issue once and for all.

Regards,

MortisBode

Registered
I know this is an old thread being resurrected, but I鈥檓 having the same problem with the ZF 8-speed automatic. It鈥檒l heat up to about 235 and I鈥檒l pull off the road. Driving it hard in the twisties and mountains or in town there is no problem, and will cool down the trans after a highway drive. But over 30 minutes of cruising in the highway, A whine will begin to appear and the trans temp will continually rise until the constant highway speed has ended. I鈥檓 going to change the fluid and filter and cross my fingers. It鈥檚 a 2016 R/T+, 44,000 miles mostly stock. Does anyone have updated information?

Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat / 2022 Challenger Redeye Widebody
I know this is an old thread being resurrected, but I鈥檓 having the same problem with the ZF 8-speed automatic. It鈥檒l heat up to about 235 and I鈥檒l pull off the road. Driving it hard in the twisties and mountains or in town there is no problem, and will cool down the trans after a highway drive. But over 30 minutes of cruising in the highway, A whine will begin to appear and the trans temp will continually rise until the constant highway speed has ended. I鈥檓 going to change the fluid and filter and cross my fingers. It鈥檚 a 2016 R/T+, 44,000 miles mostly stock. Does anyone have updated information?
Changing the fluid isn't likely going to remedy the reason why the temp is increasing.

Registered
Changing the fluid isn't likely going to remedy the reason why the temp is increasing.
I believe that too but it鈥檚 odd and unexplained. I鈥檓 a career tech but it seems to be a problem with the transmission. ZF is the largest of the gear manufacturers in the world, I just don鈥檛 want to grenade the trans鈥. I鈥檓 sure they鈥檙e $$!

Registered
They鈥檒l end up replacing the unit, usually the B clutch starts to burn, slip, and warp its steels causing the overheat issue, the aftermarket bench fix is to install a rebuild kit with new pistons and Kolene steels but there鈥檚 no hard evidence of its success rate

Super Moderator
In case anyone is interested, the purpose of a transmission cooler valve is to bypass the transmission cooler during cold operation. This allows forces the transmission to warm up faster. When the valve fails in the open position, the transmission fluid does not reach your cooler. This can be caused by mechanical failure or debris.

Product Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Tool

21 - 37 of 37 Posts