Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other fellow A8 Owners love using the Autostick as much as I do?
Unless I'm cruising (Lets be real now... Almost never "Just Cruising") I love switching that Automatic into Semi-Auto. Told myself I was going to get an M6 but came down to a good deal on an A8 and with using it as a daily driver in an area filled with traffic changed my mind and got the A8.

Wondering if any negatives from driving in Semi-Automatic all the time/once in a while?
The beast not only feels better but sounds better:grin2:

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Yes, I like it too.

I do a lot of cruising, and I'm in Sport Mode all the time, but the Autostick is fun when I'm in the mood.

These A8's are something else. Love them.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I wouldn't worry. The Autostick was designed for you to enjoy it:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
The only time I really use auto-stick is when I'm stuck in highway traffic and trying to save gas by avoiding the accordion-style waves that build up and dissipate in a traffic jam. I basically leave an obnoxiously-lengthy gap between myself and the car in front of me, then move forward at the average speed of traffic, avoiding the use of the brake pedal at all costs. Auto-stick comes in really handy for this, as I have found that downshifting between third, second, and first gears will allow you to slow the car using engine braking only. I save a ton of gas this way.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The only time I really use auto-stick is when I'm stuck in highway traffic and trying to save gas by avoiding the accordion-style waves that build up and dissipate in a traffic jam. I basically leave an obnoxiously-lengthy gap between myself and the car in front of me, then move forward at the average speed of traffic, avoiding the use of the brake pedal at all costs. Auto-stick comes in really handy for this, as I have found that downshifting between third, second, and first gears will allow you to slow the car using engine braking only. I save a ton of gas this way.
I'm in and out of Boston all the time for work. If I leave more than a car length between me and the car in front of me on I-93, some putz usually cuts in front of me and fills in the space.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I use mine this way every time I drive, not all the time but at least once or twice. With my Thrush welded mufflers with no resonators I love the sound it makes when shifting at 5500 to 58oo RPMs. :D

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Shifting manually with an automatic is fun, but remember if you take your car to the track, leaving it in Drive will result in the fastest time.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I find myself using the paddle shifters more and more often. It's great to blip them around while in D, you can drop gears and floor it and it will always auto-upshift for you when you hit redline. It can happen fast!

When I drag race I'm always in paddle shift mode but still have it in D. This ensures upshifts at the maximum RPM possible.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I was driving my dad's Charger Scat Pack a couple months ago, I got in the habit of using manual mode while entering curved or cloverleaf-style highway onramps. Keeps the car ready to blast off as soon as the ramp straightens out.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I'm in and out of Boston all the time for work. If I leave more than a car length between me and the car in front of me on I-93, some putz usually cuts in front of me and fills in the space.
Ayup. When that happens, that's when I drop down to 2nd gear in order to slow my roll and create a new gap. All I care about is avoiding the use of my brake pedal until the accordion jam breaks. It's almost a mental game that I play with myself at this point, but it keeps my average mpg at a respectable level during those interminable, inexplicable choke points that Boston is known for.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You all forgot the best part of using autostick.......more popping and burbling from the exhaust at low speed in manual mode. Music.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts