Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my dome lights in, the right one however started flickering and then only half of it will now light..took it out, can't see anything...seems fine, but the other side of the lights won't light up, and the one side lightning is very dim, does anybody know if you can "bake" these to fix any weak solder points? I'm going to wait until AAC hopefully contacts me and ships me out a new one, but just curious as I know with computers, we used to bake old graphic cards\wireless cards etc in the oven to make sure all the connections re soldered, worked like a charm.

Left light is good, right is bad, I took pics of the board itself to show the strange difference, as if the right one has some odd residue on it

Any tips would be appreciated, it sucks having one bad :(, expensive suckers too...

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
The residue on the right one looks to be a thumbprint. Oils in the print CAN affect electrical paths and it does appear to go through multiple current paths on the PCB. I'd take an alcohol swab (preferably hydrogen peroxyde) and clean the PCB. Other than that, start doing electrical traces (start with an Ohm meter and work up from there) to see if there's a resistance problem.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I will clean it off with some rubbing alcohol and see if that accomplishes anything, thanks, they also just sent me out a new one, so hopefully the next one will be fine

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So yeah...the other one they sent was bad as well...and then the other two they sent after that now have a few LEDS out in the clusters as well...the service is good, but I'm worried about the quality..out of 5 only one is lighting up correctly, with all lights bright and lit...anybody know if those 25 or 48 LED Dome Array's fit easily?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Those problems are the reason I'm no big fan of LED conversions. Nail polish works GREAT to color stocks lights, just don't put too many coats on. Auto parts stores also sell colored bulbs, tho I just use the purple nail polish the GF wears at the carshows to match da car, map, seatback, and trunk!;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Try Superbrightleds.com, I got my cool white LEDs from there and they work perfectly. It looks like your bulbs have 6 LEDs correct? I have reason to believe the circuit for the map lights are wired in series, I don't know what the power rating on those LEDs are but if they run enough it could just be using up all the power before getting to the other side, or using up enough to where it causes only a few LEDs to light up on the other side. There shouldn't be a reason why you need 6 LEDs for that application, I believe the LEDs I got have 3 LEDs and work perfectly fine, and they come in red too, cost me about 6 bucks shipped and have had no issues with them not lighting or burning out.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I highly doubt it's a power issue, our stock bulb uses about 2x what a 48 LED Array would....it's just the cluster not getting a full connection, they light up, or light up and flicker, 4 out of my 5 AAC dome lights do this, so I ordered up a 25 LED SMT Array, in my Yota I had Oznium LED's (18 LED Strips for dome) 3 years later still kicking....I ordered my new lights from autoillumination though, love their red LEDS and hopefully their domes won't be so iffy, I think AAC has a complicated design, yes it's "9 leds" total, 3 rows of leds, but in each led is 3 small leds technically, or "chips" as they call it, stacked. I don't know a whole lot about LEDS, but their design seems very complicated compared to just using a bigger super-flux 5mm LED rather than stacked small ones. Here's what the array I've purchased looks like, it should be cream of the crop when it comes to lighting, this and the 48 LED (though 48 LED array uses smaller LEDS)

I replaced the first rear seat map light, had to take out the 2 screws and pop off the back part of the seat (2 pins), when disconnect, and dremeled out the area where the stock light gos so I could fit the chip into the stock hole, looks great and way more light! I'll get pics of all this when I'm done...here's one of the front AAC dome lights, right side dosen't light up as much as that bulb simply isn't as bright...

·
Registered
9,272 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good service with poor quality still = buy somewhere else
Yeah I just find it weird...these guys are supposed to be known for quality and their oracle lights...people in general rave about them, but from what I've seen quality is...ya...I guess they are just mass producing now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know if this is your problem,but it sounds like the one I had.The bulbs don't have a direction on them but Ibelieve they can be installed backwards.took me little bit to figure it out.Very happy with the results!!!!!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up just giving up and ordering some 24 or w\e LED Arrays in RED that put out WAY more light, 4 sets total and all had 1 out of 2 or 2 out of 2 bad :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts