Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got the side graphics and and hood and fenders wrapped to start giving Rosie some AAR flavor. It took about 6 hours for Graphics Express to get the old R/T graphic off, Add the AAR Graphics, wrap the hood, fenders, and front bumper but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I wanted to at least see it in wrap before committing to it in paint at some point. Also a thank you to Lurch for passing along the info on his graphics.

Take it easy
Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That looks great, works well with the red.

Reactions: RunningWithBeers

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks I wasn't sure about the how red would go with the AAR graphics till the hood was done. Then I was fairly certain it was going to be pretty. Now I'm waiting on an SRT8 spoiler and some Challenger AAR rebadges for the car. I'm still not certain on the wheels I like the heritage wheels but I'm debating a set of black Torq Thrusts as well for the exterior treatments.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Looking great! Love the new touches!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A couple shots while the work was in progress. There were a few moments with it all cleaned up and stripped of striping I wondered if I really wanted to do it but I like it.

Take it easy
Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
looks awesome. try plasti dip on the wheels before buying new ones. why would you commit to paint over decals? what if you want to change her to a T/A or back to a R/T?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
/\/\/\ Thanks - Very true I just figured at some point the decals would need to be replaced but the wrap is nice enough that I might go that route again. I was thinking paint would hold up better and longer than graphics but that's going to be a ways off for awhile. As for the wheels I could / should try dipping them to see how it looks I was thinking I'd like to get 275s in the back which had me thinking about a different set of rims. I wish there was a copy of the heritage wheel that was 20"x10".

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
81 Posts
/\/\/\ Thanks - Very true I just figured at some point the decals would need to be replaced but the wrap is nice enough that I might go that route again. I was thinking paint would hold up better and longer than graphics but that's going to be a ways off for awhile. As for the wheels I could / should try dipping them to see how it looks I was thinking I'd like to get 275s in the back which had me thinking about a different set of rims. I wish there was a copy of the heritage wheel that was 20"x10".

Take it easy
Jay
Jay you could always have the heritage wheels widened or sell them im sure would sell easy. graphics hold up quite well they dont get road rash like paint. and hell you already payed for them

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oh the wrap that is there will stay till it wears out it's more a matter of do I paint or get graphics a X number of years from now. I went wrap this go around for the front end cause I wasn't sure if I'd like the Matte black front end on the challenger but I think it looks pretty expletive sweet. Once the hood was done and the first fender was done to me it really changed the tone of the car it just gave it a touch of sinister that wasn't there before.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,025 Posts
Looks great, I really like the AAR stripe.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Did you do this yourself in your garage? Looks great!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No I took it to Graphics Express in Worcester Ma. They mainly work on trucks for the most part but they had a few cars in their portfolio that looked really nice so figured I'd take it in to them to get the wrap done and the AAR graphic installed. I opted to hang out there since my wife was trying to get other stuff done this morning. I think they're in the middle of up sizing their shop and most of their work they do out of the van etc.

Take it easy
Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I think the wheels you have on there look great. No black wheels.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the input on black vs. silver/chrome. I was looking at cuda AAR pics on and off for a couple hours last night while looking at wheel options and what folks here had done. Almost none of the cudas had black wheels which had/has me second guessing going with a black wheel with chrome/machined lip. I'm also thinking about adding louvers for more of the classic look eventually. I figure I'll update the thread as she evolves.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just got the side graphics and and hood and fenders wrapped to start giving Rosie some AAR flavor. It took about 6 hours for Graphics Express to get the old R/T graphic off, wrap the hood, fenders, and the bumper but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I wanted to at least see it in wrap before committing to it in paint at some point. Also a thank you to Lurch for passing along the info on his graphics.

Take it easy
Jay
Wow that looks pretty sweet. What did something like that run to get the hood and fenders wrapped? Plus how do they cut it to make a straight line on the edge of the fender where it stops?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think I was under charged and I gave a little more than was quoted but to have the R/T graphics removed, AAR Graphics installed, and the wrap installed it was $525.00. The cuts along the body line were done using "razor tape" The tape goes on the body where you want to cut the vinyl. The vinyl was then applied as if they were going to wrap around the seem and then the tape is pulled up cutting the vinyl and the excess vinyl is/was removed.

Ralph the installer at Graphic Express is pretty talented and has a good eye. The other benefit to being there was when we had to make a few choices as for cuts etc we could discuss the options like going into the door or not, how far into the door, and the angle coming down the front of the bumper etc...

Take it easy
Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think I was under charged and I gave a little more than was quoted but to have the R/T graphics removed, the wrap done and new wrap installed it was $525.00. The cuts along the body line were done using "razor tape" The tape goes on the body where you want to cut the vinyl. The vinyl was then applied as if they were going to wrap around the seem and then the tape is pulled up cutting the vinyl and the excess vinyl is/was removed.

Ralph the installer at Graphic Express is pretty talented and has a good eye. The other benefit to being there was when we had to make a few choices as for cuts etc we could discuss the options like going into the door or not, how far into the door, and the angle coming down the front of the bumper etc...

Take it easy
Jay
Cool thanks. Yeah that doesn't seem like a bad price. Never heard if that tape before. Sounds interesting how they do it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yeah it was pretty cool getting to watch the car change in person. I think this was the tape used to cut the vinyl. knife less finish line vinyl wrap cutting tape had to google it to try to see what was used. I think with practice a person could learn how to apply wrap. It would mainly be how much you spent trying to learn plus the time invested practicing that would probably keep me from doing it myself.

Take it easy
Jay

1 - 20 of 62 Posts