Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering building one of the spare pre-eagle 5.7 blocks for a twin turbo setup. I've found a set of 4032 forged pistons on ebay for a very affordable price. I have forged 6.1 crank and rods. I'm wondering what those of you who have built boosted 5.7 applications feel the power potential of these blocks are. My intention is to build a dedicated race only boosted 5.7. It will be ran on twin 67 mm GT-45's (which I have on my current magnum based 390 stroker setup), and a clutchess 5spd transmission. I've got 2 sets of pre-eagle heads, and 1 set of eagle heads I can use for this build. I've also got a pre-eagle intake, and an eagle intake. I'd actually like to use a Ritter intake though with a front mount tb adapter for this setup. I'm curious to hear thoughts and expected safe power levels. I'll be tuning using a FAST XFI 2.0 stand alone (which I currently have on existing setup in the vehicle).

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone built a boosted 5.7 block using turbos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
Has anyone built a boosted 5.7 block using turbos?

I have a fully forged 5.7 Gen III pushing 13.5 pounds of boost and runs like a monster. Although i'm not running a turbo, my Procharger runs very similar to a turbo in how the boost comes hard at the high RPMs.

What kind of specific questions you have about a built 5.7??

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a fully forged 5.7 Gen III pushing 13.5 pounds of boost and runs like a monster. Although i'm not running a turbo, my Procharger runs very similar to a turbo in how the boost comes hard at the high RPMs.

What kind of specific questions you have about a built 5.7??

Thanks for your reply, with your block are you running the stock stroke or did you step it up a bit? How fast does it grab RPM? Thanks for the response. I appreciate someone chiming in.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks for your reply, with your block are you running the stock stroke or did you step it up a bit? How fast does it grab RPM? Thanks for the response. I appreciate someone chiming in.

Zero stroke........ 5.7 fully forged with the Modern Muscle drop in pistons. I used the stock block, 6.1 forged crank, blower cam, ported heads, ported 6.1 intake manifold.....etc....

The 5.7 is no joke fully forged. I'm basically close to 700 rhwp with a 345 cubic inch motor.:clap:

Boost comes on hard about 3500 rpms and pulls super hard up to 7000.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zero stroke........ 5.7 fully forged with the Modern Muscle drop in pistons. I used the stock block, 6.1 forged crank, blower cam, ported heads, ported 6.1 intake manifold.....etc....

The 5.7 is no joke fully forged. I'm basically close to 700 rhwp with a 345 cubic inch motor.:clap:

Boost comes on hard about 3500 rpms and pulls super hard up to 7000.

This make me very happy to hear. I assume since you are using the modern muscle drop ins, that you have a VVT block. Either way I’m glad that you have given me proof of concept for the idea I have. I’ve got a few 5.7’s that I’m trying different things out with. Thanks for your response it’s helped me out a great deal.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might find this article an interesting read:

10 Tips for Turbocharged Engine Builds

Rockster

That’s a great article to read, I actually read that while ago when I first started thinking about building turbo applications. Hanks for posting it in this thread. I hope it helps those new to power adders/forced induction with their plans when the time comes for them to spend money.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,982 Posts
There is an Engine Masters video that covers using stock 5.7l Hemi to make 707hp with boost. There is another one in which a Chevy 350 engine is used.

Both have good info about boosting stock block/cast piston engines.

Here's a link to the Hemi video:

And here's the link to the Chevy video:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for posting both vids up. I’ve seen the Hemi vid, but not the Chevy one. I either case forged internals are a must will going extreme boost. I’m a fan of Turbos due to their ability to spoil efficiently without chasing belt slip.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,982 Posts
Thanks for posting both vids up. I’ve seen the Hemi vid, but not the Chevy one. I either case forged internals are a must will going extreme boost. I’m a fan of Turbos due to their ability to spoil efficiently without chasing belt slip.

Agree. If you are going for big boost, now or in the future, go with forged internals. Might as well start out with the engine prepped to deal with the stresses.

Consider a good oil cooler and a larger oil pan with better baffling to ensure the engine has plenty of reasonably cool air free oil at all times.

Turbos have their attraction but oh the plumbing headaches: Exhaust/intake and the turbo oil supply/return lines. And the extra engine compartment heat. And the difficulty in fitting a proper intercooler.

The video of the Chevy fitted with the ProCharger centrifugal supercharger -- which I seem to recall didn't suffer from belt slip -- seems to offer a supercharger option that... well, I'd seriously have to consider which way to go, but after living with my 996 Turbo with its twin turbo charger setup and dealing with the considerable disassembly that is required of the intake/exhaust system to even gain access to the plugs and coils (dealing with this in the sense paying a tech $150/hour labor rate) vs. it looks like being able to when the time comes change the plugs and coils in my Hellcat myself with little to no need to mess with the intake/exhaust system at all, kind of puts me in the super charger camp.

The video of the 5.7l Hemi shows the Paxton supercharger with an intercooler and the setup looks pretty straightforward and the hardware was from some Dodge diesel truck engine I believe. The supercharger on this engine did suffer from belt slip but I suspect there's a way to eliminate that. Possibly a toothed belt/pulleys as I think was mentioned in the video.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Agree. If you are going for big boost, now or in the future, go with forged internals. Might as well start out with the engine prepped to deal with the stresses.

Consider a good oil cooler and a larger oil pan with better baffling to ensure the engine has plenty of reasonably cool air free oil at all times.

Turbos have their attraction but oh the plumbing headaches: Exhaust/intake and the turbo oil supply/return lines. And the extra engine compartment heat. And the difficulty in fitting a proper intercooler.

The video of the Chevy fitted with the ProCharger centrifugal supercharger -- which I seem to recall didn't suffer from belt slip -- seems to offer a supercharger option that... well, I'd seriously have to consider which way to go, but after living with my 996 Turbo with its twin turbo charger setup and dealing with the considerable disassembly that is required of the intake/exhaust system to even gain access to the plugs and coils (dealing with this in the sense paying a tech $150/hour labor rate) vs. it looks like being able to when the time comes change the plugs and coils in my Hellcat myself with little to no need to mess with the intake/exhaust system at all, kind of puts me in the super charger camp.

The video of the 5.7l Hemi shows the Paxton supercharger with an intercooler and the setup looks pretty straightforward and the hardware was from some Dodge diesel truck engine I believe. The supercharger on this engine did suffer from belt slip but I suspect there's a way to eliminate that. Possibly a toothed belt/pulleys as I think was mentioned in the video.

So I get where you’re coming from with respect to plumbing a turbo. For those that don’t have fabrication skills. It can be a chore. But honestly speaking I don’t think it’s fair to compare the twin turbo setup you had on a Porsche compared to anything we have available for our modern Hemi’s. Any maintenance on a 996 is going to kill you. It a freaking Porsche lol.

I’m currently building a front mount setup for my 91 Dakota, the hardest part was settling on a mounting location. Once I nailed down a plan for mounting the rest is cake. Swapped the headers left to right (can’t do this on a modern Hemi), ordered some 90 degree J-pipes and a bunch of other pipe I have laying around the garage. And plumbing is done. On the hot side. Cold side will be simple too. When doing builds like this it best to keep to the KISS theory. No need to get fancy. Once I pop the current motor in the car I’ll build my purpose built 5.7 hemi to handle the level of boost needed to run in the 8’s. At least that’s the goal.

Also with respect to the 5.7 build in the video. I think more power could’ve been made with a composite intake for the 03. Plus a better S/C. Like a Procharger D1X/SC or an F1 version. Then that number could’ve been attained with ease. Not sure how long it would hold up for though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts