Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I need some suggestions about the calipers, caliper covers or paint? Ive read some threads, but I still dont know which to choose. For covers, some ppl say they are fake, they are just cheezy. But for paint, it will fade after years and time consuming.

If you perfer painting, can you tell me the paint you used and all the tools needed.
If you prefer covers, can you tell me the reason?

Thank you guys!!!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
My opinion is go with the covers from MGP. They look awesome and painted calipers do not even look half as nice as the covers do. I had them on my R/T and still have them on my Ram.

I should add that I painted both my R/T calipers and Ram calipers and did not like the look. I then went out and bought the covers. I wish I had done that to begin with.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Using caliper covers that represent something they are not, are lame, example... Plastic Brembo Caliper Covers. The MGP covers are very nice, they are not "pretending" they are a nice dress up item.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I prefer to leave my stock calipers alone. I would rather not draw attention to them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using caliper covers that represent something they are not, are lame, example... Plastic Brembo Caliper Covers. The MGP covers are very nice, they are not "pretending" they are a nice dress up item.
I really hate that plastic Brembo Caliper covers..
And yes, MGP's also sells the calipers with "Challenger" on them, and easy to be installed

·
Registered
438 Posts
The MGP Covers are great I have ran them on my cars for the last 3 years with no problems. Aside from the fact that they look great and hide the ugly calipers they also keep the dust down on the wheels and act as a heat sync keeping the brakes cooler an average of 30-50 degrees.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No Doubt!!!
GO with the MGP Covers.

You can get them with a variety of scrip on them.
Very easy to install, Actually I put them on With-Out taking off the wheels, but its easier with them off, at least with the Stock Classic Wheels.

I get only nice comments on them.
They have a much cleaner look than painting the Stock calipers.

My reasoning is a good deal of the mods that are done are cosmetic, and most often a cover of some type, not a replacement, so Why not Cover an Ugly brake Caliper!!

If anyone makes a comment about them being"just Covers", Don't tell them why, but ask to see all their mods, once you spot any dress up items that cover something, then ask them to explain their position!! HA HA.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Painted Calipers

Well for what its worth, the caliper covers IMHO just look fake. I used the G2 Brake Caliper Paint Kit along with vinyl decals from vinyl decals . com Below are photos of mine and I regularly receive compliments at car shows. I will be more than glad to point you toward some easy directions.

~Ray

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Painted looks as good as these do, I say not even close.

Attachments

Reactions: HemiOrangeRT

·
Registered
624 Posts
I had my caliper covers painted black just to give them a clean look that doesnt draw attention to the calipers being that they are nothing fancy. I wanted the wheels to be the center of focus rather than the calipers

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
The problem with caliper covers is that they look like caliper covers. You're not fooling anyone. I've never seen painted calipers "fade" because if done correctly, you won't have a problem. I had mine powder coated and they look great and are very durable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i hope i dont offend anyone but i think those caliper covers actually look ricey and while youre intent may not be to look like a big brake kit that is exactly what they look like to everyone else. a correctly painted caliper looks way cleaner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
703 Posts
Here are my big problems with caliper covers:

1. They are insanely overpriced. You want damn near $200 for those? LOL, pass.

2. They look fake, everyone can tell they're fake, and being fake is typically not something you want to draw attention too. Unfortunately, the entire point of covers is to draw attention to them.

3. They are insultingly fake when they have the fake bolt heads on them. At least drill some holes and glue some real bolt heads in them, sheesh! I literally wouldn't put these on if I was given them for free.

Here are my big problems with painting the calipers:

1. You have to get all four wheels up at the same time, which takes forever and requires all sorts of jacks to do safely.

2. You only get four hours to complete the entire job, and the instant you start the clock is ticking. If your brush goes bad, or it starts raining, or whatever, you're screwed.

3. There is no saving the extra paint for touch-ups later on, as the paint goes bad after those 4 hours. I can't paint the spots that I didn't think would show but actually do, so I just have to live with it and hope no one notices. *sigh*

4. You have to do it at low temperature, which typically means the dead of night in most places. I dumped the Reactor into my paint at 11:15 pm, it started getting stringy at 3:00 am (3 coats completed at that time), and I'm pretty sure it was still too hot out.

5. You can't use the car for 24 hours.

6. Paint had a habit of chipping and/or peeling off when I saw people speak of it in the Mustang community. Hopefully they were just being lazy with their prep and/or painting, and a good job will result in a good finish for many years. It's still possible, though.

That said, I went with black paint and white lettering from vinyldecals just like TorredRay did (his letters might be silver, not sure). It came out quite nice, I think. I'll get more pics tomorrow when I've got the wheels back on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.