Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the total amount needed in hand (or can dip into a line of credit, but I won't be financing with anyone). I want an R/T or R/T Plus, 2015 or newer, automatic.

1. If I stretch a bit, I can buy new (R/T) or I can get used and get some of the luxuries I like (R/T Plus). Is there a clear-cut answer here? What I can afford used seems to have 20K to 30K miles.

2. If used, how important is Dodge Certified? Is that a big difference or no?

3. There are a couple of "new" 2016s at a dealer at a big discount. Any reason NOT to consider those?

4. Beyond the leather, sunroof, larger screen and air conditioned seats, is there a pressing reason to choose an R/T Plus over an R/T?

5. Any colors to avoid?

Thanks. Been waiting 10 YEARS for this...

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I have the total amount needed in hand (or can dip into a line of credit, but I won't be financing with anyone). I want an R/T or R/T Plus, 2015 or newer, automatic.

1. If I stretch a bit, I can buy new (R/T) or I can get used and get some of the luxuries I like (R/T Plus). Is there a clear-cut answer here? What I can afford used seems to have 20K to 30K miles.

2. If used, how important is Dodge Certified? Is that a big difference or no?

3. There are a couple of "new" 2016s at a dealer at a big discount. Any reason NOT to consider those?

4. Beyond the leather, sunroof, larger screen and air conditioned seats, is there a pressing reason to choose an R/T Plus over an R/T?

5. Any colors to avoid?

Thanks. Been waiting 10 YEARS for this...
I'd take new over used. Some people can be real knuckleheads. (There was a thread recently of someone upset that the car didn't make the 0-60 time he saw online with only a few miles on his car. Break-in period is there for a reason.)

Can you post links to the 2016s you're looking at? What do you mean by heavily discounted?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the 2016 R/T Pluses are discounted from $42K to $32K and one has 60 miles on it and the other has 30 miles on it.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Well, the 2016 R/T Pluses are discounted from $42K to $32K and one has 60 miles on it and the other has 30 miles on it.
That's maybe 30-40 test drives, where Joe Shmoe and Saul Salesman started the car and went on a 1-2 mile joyride and did hard pulls on a cold engine.

Avoid them. If your budget is $30k, you should be able to get a nice new 2017 or 2018 R/T.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not wild about the Scat Pack's wheels, but I could always change those. How many used miles are too many?

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
The important thing is to inspect the car, pull a carfax. Look for signs of abuse. Get a CPO car.
I have owned cars that have had insurance involved repairs and looked them up on car-not-facts, and came back clean which proves not everyone reports like they want you to believe. People in the past have posted things that their so called certified car had issues that were never discovered in the inspection process which gives one pause if they really look deep into a car that looks shiny and pretty.
I doubt anyone took a test drive and made the salesman soil themselves, yes you can give it some pedal but it’s not like you rented the car and we’re alone to really thrash it.
Color is strictly up to you, not everyone likes all the colors but it’s what makes you smile is what matters.
Good luck and enjoy what you pick.
One other point is if you buy new don’t say anything about paying cash until the deal is agreed to and time to go sign the papers. When I bought mine I got an extra $2000 off if I financed it and he said make one payment and pay the balance on the next one. That way he got credit from the bank, I saved two grand and then the loan was done in 30 days.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
IMO, never "stretch" your spending on a car. It does appear that your case is a little different than most, with having the "bulk" to spend in your fist already.

That said, look for deals, but don't compromise on color. I always say that color is the most important option, and buy as much factory HP that your budget allows.

Best of luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
I personally found the "dodge certified " to be worthless. Basic items of the 123 point check less were not done and others were questionable at best on my purchase. Colors are a matter of preference but as a owner of a yellow challenger I know there are fewer fans then if I got a blue, red or black one . I guess I would say look and test drive till you find the ones you like and then negotiate as best as you can .Looking for mods or add on such as strut braces or car covers will be nice but you can always add what you want as budget allows. Good luck. I might add there is a nice yellow jacket for sale by one of the members that is a pretty nice car.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I would rather buy a one year/12k miles with a good service record used car than a new car with more than 20 miles. It's either a test driver car or a car used by dealership staff for errands. Neither have been treated well.

Try reaching out to Luke @ Steve White Motors?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up a 15' RT plus w/ 4600 miles on it. Apparently it was some old mans and his wife weekend car. I paid 29 for it. Black on gunmetal wheels. Overall I'm really happy with it. I've waited a long time to get into a "new" car again, and I was really debating on this and the 15' S550, but I'm happy I went this route, even with the added weight and less HP. It isn't always about numbers. IMHO, if you can find the deal, find the used one of you want the most and save yourself the money/haggling room. I think you'd be happier that way. I was.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I would rather buy a one year/12k miles with a good service record used car than a new car with more than 20 miles. It's either a test driver car or a car used by dealership staff for errands. Neither have been treated well.

Try reaching out to Luke @ Steve White Motors?
I don't work at a dealership, but a new car used for staff errands is not a realistic concern. Paranoid about anything else??? LOL

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Trying to find a new car with less than 30 miles on it is hard. Unless it's been sitting on the showroom floor the whole time its gonna have test miles on it. Who cares? Even if it has 200 miles on it, its a new car with a full warranty. It's not going to break. These new engines are a lot tougher than what some people give them credit for. It's not like these test drives include trips to the 1/4 mile where they're taking hard pulls up to 110mph on a fresh engine.

Get a leftover "new" car with the color and options you like best. Don't worry about the test drive miles. Life is too short to worry about that stuff. You could buy a certified used car that was bought new with 300 miles on it and had the crap beat out of it the entire time until it was traded in. A lot more risk on a used car.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I just picked up a 15' RT plus w/ 4600 miles on it. Apparently it was some old mans and his wife weekend car. I paid 29 for it. Black on gunmetal wheels. Overall I'm really happy with it. I've waited a long time to get into a "new" car again, and I was really debating on this and the 15' S550, but I'm happy I went this route, even with the added weight and less HP. It isn't always about numbers. IMHO, if you can find the deal, find the used one of you want the most and save yourself the money/haggling room. I think you'd be happier that way. I was.

Well congratulations on a job well done! Great car!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts