Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have wanted a challenger since 08’ and after a recent accident "car was totaled", now is the time. Ok, I have been lurking this site for a few years a know some of the things to look for but with the new 2011’s, rebates, ect. I just want to make sure I am not getting screwed.

A local large dealer to me got in a SRT8 2009 Fully Loaded B5 6speed with 13k miles on it. After checking it out I totally fell in love with this thing. Test drive felt great. To make the deal even better the original owner that traded it in happen to show up. Very nice guy, car sounded great, it was obvioiusly his baby and made me feel better about its history.

The car has brand new rear tires, but needs new front tires. "bald" It had two tiny door dings that the dealer said they would have removed by a paintless dent guy they use and it would be perfect. It had the full magnaflow exhaust "loved the sound!!!!!" and the K&N intake setup. The original owner told me the front alignment needed to be checked because the outside of the tires wore too fast and that the washer fluid light was on "the sensor was bad, as the fluid was full". I assume what is an easy warranty fix. Other than that the car was MINT. Dealer wants 34k for it and will not budge a single dollar. They have only had the car one or two days and have had tons of calls already. What do you guys think???

I fell in love with that B5 color in person. Wanted orange, but I love how different the B5 is. Is this too much for a 09? I need a car, so I can’t wait more than a few weeks. –thanks.

Looking forward to joining the club!!!!

·
Registered
950 Posts
R/T or SRT? You did not specify but I assume SRT. Mileage is low, color is one you want - and that counts for A LOT! 34 K for an SRT -offer him 29K and see where it goes. If it is an R/T offer him 25K. If you meet somewhere inbetween I think you have a great deal. If not, buy a new one with incentives.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an SRT8, and the dealer would not even put new front tires on it... He knows it will sell I guess with the amount of calls he is getting..... He did agree to have the two tiny dings taken out but that was it. He said he had to give the guy too much on the trade and he really can't move on that price. Color is HUGE for me. I really would like an Orange one or the B5 in a 6speed. This will be a daily driver so being fully loaded is also important to me.

I would expect a fully loaded new one to cost me quite a bit more than this, correct?

I also planned on buying exhaust so this saves me 1k in that department, but I do feel like 33,900 was a tad in the high side, but not toooooo bad. Ughhhh, I dont know. I got like 3hrs sleep last night.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would be a little worried about why all 4 tires needed replaced at 13K miles. I would think they should last 2X that long. I would think the $ was a little high for a 09 but I don't know what option packages it has or as mentioned if it's a SRT or RT. Good thing like you mentioned is it's under warranty so you don't have to worry about much. Look around on line and see what ones like that go for. Salesman always say they have tons of calls on a car.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I just sold my 09 SRT 6 speed with all options, 5500 miles back in November for 34,000. You might find it for less, but you may not find a b5.

You can possibly get a new 10 loaded SRT for 38 to 39K, but it may not be the color or options you want.

If there is a car you want that is local, don't sweat a couple grand.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I paid ~32,000 for mine last spring. It had 15,400 miles on it and it needed tires all the way around. It had a K&N intake and stock exhaust and a couple small dents removed via PDR. That one adds new rear tires and an exhaust to what mine had.
If they won't move on the price see if they will align it, replace the front tires and fix the warranty stuff. Blue is a great color and not that common.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You did say SRT, sorry about that. So, like other posters mentioned see if you can get new tires and offer him 30. If not, look for some new deals and see what the difference is. Do not deal under pressure though I know you have a time frame. Unfortunately, B5 in a six speed SRT is relatively rare, but I would walk at that price without new tires - maybe shoot for drop dead price of 33K, new tires and all dings / car detailed with warranty for you would be something you could settle on. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would be a little worried about why all 4 tires needed replaced at 13K miles. I would think they should last 2X that long.

Not if they are F1s and not if the alignment is out a bit and certainly not if the car has been pushed hard. All four on mine were shot at 15,400. Uneven outer wear on the fronts (the toe was out of adjustment) and smooth rears (for the obvious reason :lol: ).

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I said that while he was adding the part about it being a SRT. I was thinking a RT with RS-as and I think they should last 25K or so. I hope the op realizes he will be putting about another $1K for 2 tires and an alignment. A freind said he had a road hazard that took one of his out and it cost him $450+ for 1 tire. It usually is hard to come up with an extra grand right after buying a car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Price seams about right for a B5 SRT From a dealer to me. B5 six speeds are hard to find. Took me a couple mouths to find the right one.

Jack

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for all quick info guys. Great site! I sat there for 3hrs with a checkbook ready and they were not going to budge. They know it's a hard to find color combo and they will sell it to someone. I plan on keeping this car for a very long time so I am not sure if 1-2k is worth walking away from the color and options I want. They were also going to do 3.9% on the loan and I thought that was pretty decent. I was set on orange, but that B5 was soooooo different "in a good way".

WOW, I thought the tires on my supra were expensive. So it's going to be 1k for two front tires and alignment. DAMN!!! Where is the best place to buy them?

As far as options, the original owner said it had every option. Push Start, Sunroof, Nav, Sub, Ipod, HID's. Not sure what else exactly.

To be honest, after test driving it. It was nearly impossible for me not to drive it home.
As long as it's not a "stupid" buy, I am ok with it.

or am i....
LOL
again, 3 hrs sleep. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
That was at the Goodyear dealer ($450+ea). Discount tire on here I'm sure can get them cheaper than that but you'll want matching tires so if you don't get F1s you'll need all 4. good luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Go with a different tire, the F1's arent that great.
If the rear has a brand new set of F1's can I get away with putting a different goodyear up front? That way, when the rears go I will already have the fronts I am goign to want. I don't want to get into a loop of buying F1's as I have been reading they are crap.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
It's not a stupid buy. I wonder how many other people who called on it know about the bald front tires. It's all a matter of what you want and if it is worth it for you. B5 six speed apparently are not all that common, so figure that into your equation.

Local dealership here has a B5 6 sp with 8500 miles for $39K (listed on internet). That's high.. but it's something to compare to. I haven't looked at it so can't tell you anything else about it for comparison purposes.

Mike

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
WOW, I thought the tires on my supra were expensive. So it's going to be 1k for two front tires and alignment. DAMN!!! Where is the best place to buy them?
Tire Rack has 245/45/20 F1s for 298 bucks a piece.
Ironicly the larger rear tires are 9 bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Not surprised dealer wouldn't / won't budge, car will / won't stay on lot long.
Even more surprised they offered to repair dings and other.

:smoker:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts