Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any S/C kits available for an old school above the hood blower type of set up?

I've seen the Cult Challenger and the Craven Challenger, and was wondering if there is anything available on the market for a 5.7 Classic.

Thanks

EDIT:

If anyone is wondering why I ask, it's simple. I just want a different kinda supercharged Challenger. I'm not concerned really with the debate between under hood vs above hood and all that, I'm going more for eye candy on this project. And it seems no one (or very, very few if any) in my area have a blown Challenger.

I want a mean looking and mean sounding Challenger as if it came outta the 70's, HEMI Orange and all...

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't seen it on any modern challenger that doesn't have a motor swap. I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything
Does the Cult Challenger and the Craven Challenger have swapped engines?

I thought those were 3rd gen HEMI 6.4 from the factory...

An above hood blower can only be used on carbs right? I think I read somewhere that there were fuel injection conversions to get a blower working on a modern HEMI...

·
Registered
48 Posts
i think what your looking for is what they call a roots-style blower. Reason they sit so high in the older cars is because of not only the twin screws but the fuel system sitting on top (whether it be blower carbs or mechanical injection). With the fuel injectors/rails on these new motors there is just no need for the added height, as the fuel system is a lot smaller and designed differently.

Unless you make some kind of giant sheetmetal intake/blower adapter plate to get the charger up in the air i doubt youll find something.

I love big hunks of shiny aluminum hanging out of the hood on an old big block car and all, but nowadays stealthy under hood stuff is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
whatever you do will be completely custom, nothing out of the box, also tuning an old style type blower may be very difficult
Luke
No... it's not a hard thing to do at all... The parts are now readily available to put a roots style supercharger on a modern hemi .

First thing you need is this Modman intake manifold from indy cylinder heads.

INDY CYLINDER

And this is the big whipple that southern hot rod used on the cult challenger. It comes in two versions the 305 R or 5.0 liter and the 510R or 8.3 liter.

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=86

I will say this. You're engine need to be completely built top to bottom before you bolt that big whipple onto it! So yeah you're gonna have at least 20 grand in it before its all said and done. But you will probably be capable of 1,500 horse power with the boost turn up on race gas too though...

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is obviously a Charger but is this more along the line of what you are looking for? Found it in an old thread on here.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/182084-post1.html

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts