Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals

So today I went out for a ride and ended up behind a student driver who was going extremely slow. We came up on a long straight piece of road where it was permissible to pass. So I went for the casual pass, nothing special… until I saw a black ford explorer coming straight at me. The ford had just blended in with the woodland and I didn't see it until I was just starting to pass the student driver. I instinctually dropped a gear and floored it. I felt myself thrust back into my seat as that hemi roared around 4500-5000 rpm. Screamed by the student driver and just made it out of the way of the ford by maybe 100ft. After that was over I just felt that adrenaline flowing and I couldn't help but give myself a nice victory yell. I love how this car turns everyday experiences into extraordinary ones.

Merry Christmas!
Brendan

Reactions: ESOLO

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Sweet!

Once in a while I am sitting at an intersection waiting to turn and will floor it... and I just laugh

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
It is always nice to have an alternative other than slam on the brakes. Glad it worked out for everyone.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
It is always nice to have an alternative other than slam on the brakes. Glad it worked out for everyone.
Sometimes thats the wiser choice, fortunately this worked out well.
When accellerating you up the risk of a gross miscalculation that you can't get out of.
The driving instructor will be talking about this event to future students.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Sometimes thats the wiser choice, fortunately this worked out well.
When accellerating you up the risk of a gross miscalculation that you can't get out of.
The driving instructor will be talking about this event to future students.
With a smile or a scolding frown LOL

Personally I would likely have reacted as the OP did :D. And yes, the student drive probably did soil him/herself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
With a smile or a scolding frown LOL

Personally I would likely have reacted as the OP did :D. And yes, the student drive probably did soil him/herself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Agreed^^^, I've backed down before and sped up. I depends how committed to the pass you are when you see the oncoming car. Typically I don't pass at "full" acceleration anyways, which usually leaves a little for emergency actions just as the OP did.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have had a few freeway experiences like this. I like to do what I call "super-cruising" at about 80MPH. Sometimes people don't understand left-lane etiquette and that also sometimes coincides with slow #2 lane drivers (the lane adjacent to the left lane). Drop down to 4th and stretch the 5.7's legs a bit. Next thing I know I'm looking down at triple digit speeds getting closer to 115 than 100. Shift 4-6 and let the aerodynamics slow her down a bit with a nice big gap between me and the "Student Drivers".

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
I think at times they pace the car in the number 2 lane just to have control so you can't pass. In their mind it's their job to enforce the speed limit.
These cars effortlessly hit over 100 and ride so smooth.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I hope the instructor had the presence of mind to tell the student to SLOW DOWN! It's a learning opportunity.

Back in the early 80s I was bustin' butt to get home in the fast lane of a freeway, came over a hill and there right in front of me was a stalled car in my lane. The guy in the right lane saw it too and got hard on his brakes and I just squeaked in front of him. He probably saved my life by being alert and aware that my fate was in his hands.

Reactions: GlennW
1 - 14 of 14 Posts