Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I’m having trouble with the air conditioning in my Scat Pack. I just bought the car in late April- it’s a 2019 with only 10k on it.

We had a few real hot days last week and the A/C on Max/Recirc. Was only blowing about 70 degrees. The last couple days have been cooler in the 70s and it’s blowing about low 60s/high 50s… doesn’t seem right to me.

I brought it to the half-ass Chrysler dealer near my house, because it’s still under warranty. The service idiot gave me a line about the very first thing they have to do is drain the freon and refill. This isn’t under warranty and would cost about $400 bucks, so I left.

I've searched on here but didn’t see much on the newer Challengers' A/C problems. Is there an easy way to tell if it’s a bad blend door or maybe the recirculation/max A/C door Isn’t closing?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
419 Posts
I’m having trouble with the air conditioning in my scat pack. I just bought the car in late April it’s a 2019 with only 10k on it.
We had a few real hot days last week and the AC on Max/Recirc. Was only blowing about 70 degrees. The last couple days have been cooler in the 70’s and it’s blowing about low 60’s/high 50’s… doesn’t seem right to me.

I brought it to the half assed Chrysler dealer near my house, because it’s still under warranty, and the service idiot gave me a line about the very first thing they have to do is drain the freon and refill which isn’t under warranty and would cost about 400 bucks so I left.

ive searched on here but didn’t see much on the newer challengers ac problems. Is there an easy way to tell if it’s a bad blend door or maybe the recirculation/max ac door Isn’t closing?? Thanks
That's BS, sounds like the dealer is playing dirty. There's no way a dealer should be trying to charge up front to diagnose an A/C warranty claim. If you have another dealer close by, try again.

Hey @DodgeCares, can you help this guy?

Reactions: MorrisGray

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,987 Posts
Go through all the other HVAC configs and see if there are any other anomalies. In other words,

1) Does defrost setting come out of upper vents?

2) Does floor setting come out of lower vents?

3) Does middle setting come out of driver/passenger facing vents?

4) Does adjusting the heat control have expected results in temperature of air coming from vents?

If your testing returns ‘yes’ to all those questions, the blend doors and such would seem to be working correctly.

Beyond that, getting a set of manifold gauges and taking some PSI readings (and ambient temp records) of the car’s A/C refrigerant would be the next step in diagnosis I think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have an appointment at a different dealership next week. Just want to have a backup plan if they pull the same bs. Thanks for the replies.

I tried pulling the cabin air filter out to See if I could tell if the recirculate door was closing. With the regular ac on a piece of paper sucked up against the door like it should. When I turned on max ac/recirculate it still sucked to it so I’m really thinking that’s the problem but I’m going to wait to see what the other dealer says.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,987 Posts
Yeah I have an appointment at a different dealership next week. Just want to have a backup plan if they pull the same bs. Thanks for the replies.

I tried pulling the cabin air filter out to See if I could tell if the recirculate door was closing. With the regular ac on a piece of paper sucked up against the door like it should. When I turned on max ac/recirculate it still sucked to it so I’m really thinking that’s the problem but I’m going to wait to see what the other dealer says.
Even without the benefit of the recirculating functionality, the air conditioning system should be able to cool the incoming air at least 20F below ambient air temp, but that is a bare minimum on a really hot day. Realistically it should easily be more than (ambient-20F).

If yours isn’t doing that, there’s a problem somewhere. Depending on how difficult that problem is to identify and how competent the tech is at diagnosing a/c problems, this has the possibility of turning into a real pain in your ass.

But hopefully the tech is well versed in a/c dish, and hopefully the issue is easily uncovered, thereby leaving you with a cold a/c and an uninteresting anecdote to tell your buddies.

Be sure to update the thread with any developments.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
251 Posts
I’m having trouble with the air conditioning in my scat pack. I just bought the car in late April it’s a 2019 with only 10k on it.
We had a few real hot days last week and the AC on Max/Recirc. Was only blowing about 70 degrees. The last couple days have been cooler in the 70’s and it’s blowing about low 60’s/high 50’s… doesn’t seem right to me.

I brought it to the half assed Chrysler dealer near my house, because it’s still under warranty, and the service idiot gave me a line about the very first thing they have to do is drain the freon and refill which isn’t under warranty and would cost about 400 bucks so I left.

ive searched on here but didn’t see much on the newer challengers ac problems. Is there an easy way to tell if it’s a bad blend door or maybe the recirculation/max ac door Isn’t closing?? Thanks
The first thing they should do is add some dye to the system and use a black light while the system is on to check for leaks. If it is leaking, they will pump out the system, repair the leak and recharge. If your car is under warranty as you say this will be covered unless you have damage caused by road debris to the condenser.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,982 Posts
With other cars the factory manual provided a graph that given the ambient air temperature with the engine at temperature with its idle speed elevated to IIRC 2000 RPMs with the A/C temperature control set to max and the cabin fan speed set to max and just the center vents active what the air temperature -- measured just inside the vent -- from the vent should be.

At the same time pressures are being monitored to see if they are within spec. The chart gave the ambient temperature and what the A/C vent temperature should be.

Obviously with ambient temperature variation the air temperature from the A/C would vary too. Less cool on a real hot day, and of course cooler on a real cool day.

While I have not seen it I would expect Dodge offers something similar so I would think the first thing would be to test the system to see if it is blowing air at a temperature that agrees with what the factory says it should blow and the pressures are within spec.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,075 Posts
They are feeding you a line of BS. That's like saying the only way to figure out why your engine is down on power is to take it out and and put it back in.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts

Hi Rich427,
Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
That's BS, sounds like the dealer is playing dirty. There's no way a dealer should be trying to charge up front to diagnose an A/C warranty claim. If you have another dealer close by, try again.

Hey @DodgeCares, can you help this guy?
Thanks for the tag!

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
5 Posts
Similar issue here with 2018 Scat Pack, 18k miles. A/C is on and a little cooler than ambient, but not cold. Just did a 2 hour trip on the freeway (2000ish rpm) and it couldn't keep the cabin comfortable in 90 degree Florida heat, which it used to do easily. Will be setting an appointment for warranty service soon - glad the three years aren't quite up yet. Very interested to hear OP's outcome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got it back. The dealer said they found a loose schrader valve that leaked a small amount of refrigerant. They said they fixed it and filled the system. It does seem colder and it was 88 degrees when I picked it up and really humid. Before it didn’t even seem that cold when it was in the 70s outside so I think it is operating like it should now. The only thing is I hope they actually fixed the leak and didn’t just top off system.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
419 Posts
To replace a valve they have to evacuate the whole system and recharge, so you should have a perfect fill. Glad you got it fixed.

Reactions: MorrisGray

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m in the car today and it’s about 83 outside. The ac is still blowing way too warm. I checked it with 2 different gauges and it’s only blowing about 70 degree air on max ac/recirculate. Way too hot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts