Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 RT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the AC button supposed to turn the compressor on and off?
I think I still get cold air with the AC button off is that normal?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,012 Posts
Based on my experience with my 2018 Hellcat, yes. In Auto mode even though the A/C button is dark -- sometimes it is not dark but I don't want to run the A/C compressor -- the vent air feels colder than one would expect given the outside temperature.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Even when I have just the vent on, if the sensor feels the air is too hot or humid, the compressor will kick in to set things right, even though the light doesn't come on. Then the compressor shuts off when the sensor feels the inside atmosphere is OK.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,012 Posts
Even when I have just the vent on, if the sensor feels the air is too hot or humid, the compressor will kick in to set things right, even though the light doesn't come on. Then the compressor shuts off when the sensor feels the inside atmosphere is OK.

Matches my experience. More than once I have felt the air from the vents is too cold to be just outside air.

Have to say I'm a bit unhappy (?) the system works this way. If the compressor is on the A/C button LED ought to be lit.

With my other cars the A/C system (auto climate control system) would work in "auto" mode even though I turned off the A/C. The system would blend in heated air or outside air as necessary to keep the cabin temperature at the desired temperature (72F).

This Dodge system... not a very good human interface that doesn't provide the operator the true state of the system.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Matches my experience. More than once I have felt the air from the vents is too cold to be just outside air.

Have to say I'm a bit unhappy (?) the system works this way. If the compressor is on the A/C button LED ought to be lit.

With my other cars the A/C system (auto climate control system) would work in "auto" mode even though I turned off the A/C. The system would blend in heated air or outside air as necessary to keep the cabin temperature at the desired temperature (72F).

This Dodge system... not a very good human interface that doesn't provide the operator the true state of the system.

For the '15+

in the Auto mode - A/C will cycle due to temperature demands or what humidity sensor reads

for manual operation - adjust fan speed manually, push lighted A/C button to over-ride compressor function. Use the dash vent settings (and floor or windshield defog will still cycle a/c)

the older years were a simpler setup where you engage the A/C by pushing the button, but using windshield defog would cycle the A/C compressor periodically

1 - 5 of 5 Posts