Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know, it is an annoying chore to remove the belly pan from Challengers in order to change the oil and filter.

Yesterday, I changed the oil on my wife's 2017 Hyundai Elantra and it was a breeze. Hyundai, conveniently, designed two access holes for the drain plug and the oil filter. All you need is an oil cap wrench for your socket. Also, unlike some other import manufacturers, they have a canister-type oil filter rather than a messy cartridge.

It made me wonder, why the Challenger belly pan does not have these access holes? It would make things so much easier.

·
Registered
384 Posts
is it really that large a nuisance to remove the four belly pan bolts? I don't know man, lol I consider it bonding time with the car

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
As we all know, it is an annoying and time wasting chore to remove the belly pan from Challengers in order to change the oil and filter.

Yesterday, I changed the oil on my wife's 2017 Hyundai Elantra and it was a breeze. Hyundai, conveniently, designed two access holes for the drain plug and the oil filter. All you need is an oil cap wrench for your socket. Also, unlike some other import manufacturers, they have a canister-type oil filter rather than a messy cartridge.

It made me wonder, why the Challenger belly pan does not have these access holes? It would make things so much easier.
The belly pans probably have a couple of reasons for being a single piece:

*under body air management - less body lift at highway speeds

*protection from road debris / dirty air

One of the things I appreciate is when you remove the belly pan - there isn't all the road grime and grit from winter and rainy weather driving.

The steering rack and oil pan are aluminum alloys - odds are if anything kicks up from the road, the belly pan might have damage, but it shields those expensive parts from damage.

These are a carry-over from the Daimler ownership - many models have belly pans since the 50s.

since you have to get underneath to access the oil filter anyway, removing 4 small bolts isn't that big of a deal for me.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts
The Challenger's pan is breeze compared to the 10 screws on our 2001 Infiniti QX4...

PS... A Black & Decker 4v Cordless driver is your best friend...

·
Registered
3,485 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
No. Now removing the air damn in front of the belly pan to drain the oil cooler on my Hellcat is 10x the hassle but it is part of the ownership experience.:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,600 Posts
You poor V8 owners >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
552 Posts
As we all know, it is an annoying chore to remove the belly pan from Challengers in order to change the oil and filter.

Removing the belly pan is easy and quick when compared to lifting the front of a Challenger with floor jacks (Hal won't be doing that much longer). If removing and reinstalling it bothers you that much just leave it off.:wink3:

·
Super Moderator
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Removing the belly pan is easy and quick when compared to lifting the front of a Challenger with floor jacks (Hal won't be doing that much longer). If removing and reinstalling it bothers you that much just leave it off.:wink3:
The benefits of keeping it far outweigh the disadvantages of removing it.

I just wondered why Dodge didn't provide access holes like those on the 2017 Durango R/T and other brands?

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
You poor V8 owners >:)

A Guy
to steal a quote that was on AMG's buildings years back: "throttle depressed, driver happy"

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
The belly pan was no big deal took 30 seconds to remove. The pain in the butt was making a ramp for my car ramps so the Challenger could drive up it without hitting the splitter. No garage so I do my work in the yard. It's better than letting a high school kid touch my car and they wouldn't wait an hour for all the oil to drain out either. Doesn't bother me, cold beer time. The real pain is changing the oil filter in my Ram 3500 with the 6.7L Cummins removing the plenum from the air box to the turbo to get the oil filter off. Now that's a pain.
20181115_103733_1542805878215.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found the belly pan to be no big deal. My impact driver had the 4 bolts out in 30 seconds. Changing the oil was a breeze without a drop spilled. My 6.4 Ram is more of a PITA due to the filter location. My wife's crap box Chevy Traverse is even worse. I also agree that you should leave the belly pan on, it's there for a reason.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The filter on my 5.7 Ram is a PITA.

The belly pan was no sweat.

Raising the front of the car with floor jacks is a PITA also but doable.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
1,928 Posts
I agree it's a breeze to remove. I use the Shaker 10mm tool...
I didn't get one with my Shaker. All they gave me was a cheap Shaker keychain that fell apart after a couple of months... :frown:
I guess I'll just keep on using my sockets and wrenches when I do this stuff. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I didn't get one with my Shaker. All they gave me was a cheap Shaker keychain that fell apart after a couple of months... :frown:
I guess I'll just keep on using my sockets and wrenches when I do this stuff. :grin2:
Did you check in the battery compartment? Funny story, a year after I purchased my car I was cleaning out the trunk and when I went into the battery compartment I saw a box and when I opened it it was the pedal kit LMAO. Glad I didn't order a set...

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Wow, an annoying chore, your kidding right? LOL

Its a good time to check the underside of your ride, besides there are some basic maintenance inspection points under the vehicle.

Another good thing to removing the belly pan is you can see early signs of potential leaks starting. Drops on the pan.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
1,928 Posts
Did you check in the battery compartment? Funny story, a year after I purchased my car I was cleaning out the trunk and when I went into the battery compartment I saw a box and when I opened it it was the pedal kit LMAO. Glad I didn't order a set...
While I was going through the alternator recall from hell I lived in the battery compartment. I had to carry a spare, fully charged battery to keep from getting stranded when the one that was installed went dead. As for the pedals, they came installed except for the special ones I added to complete the look.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts