Registered
50 Posts
get one of these...https://shop.3gcustomz.com/product.sc?productId=548

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
get one of these...https://shop.3gcustomz.com/product.sc?productId=548
View attachment 980267
Not really sold on that - the stream of 7 qts coming out of the drain hole? It will be all over that metal plate...and a huge mess to clean up

and trying to reach through that hole to remove the oil filter - with the inevitable oil running down your hand and arm as you unscrew it? you'll still have oil getting all over the place

its pretty simple to unbolt 4 bolts and remove the belly pan and have unimpeded access to everything. Plus you want to inspect things to make sure there's no leaks or stains that would be evidence of anything that needed attention.

·
Registered
50 Posts
FYI, just got the oil changed (12-6-19), I don't do this myself (no ramps or garage) & my shop said thank you. With the aluminum belly pan & the Fumoto 'swivel' drain valve he said it was easiest oil change he's done on a Dodge. Plus the new pan looks cool & better protects the belly than the plastic one & never needs to be taken off, no dropped bolts into no-where, try to hold pan w/one hand, wrench with another & 'oh yeah' have a 3rd hand hold the bolt.
Hope all have a Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts
FYI, just got the oil changed (12-6-19), I don't do this myself (no ramps or garage) & my shop said thank you. With the aluminum belly pan & the Fumoto 'swivel' drain valve he said it was easiest oil change he's done on a Dodge. Plus the new pan looks cool & better protects the belly than the plastic one & never needs to be taken off, no dropped bolts into no-where, try to hold pan w/one hand, wrench with another & 'oh yeah' have a 3rd hand hold the bolt.
Hope all have a Merry Christmas!
Pictures...We need pictures.....................and MC back at you...

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
there ya go...sorry don't have one showing filter, but you get the idea

·
Registered
50 Posts
& the Plug picture was prior to installing the Fumoto...truth be told these are from the companies website, but the pan fit perfectly & the shop loved it. It looks really cool under the car & no, you don't hear rocks pinging off of it while you drive ;)

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
153 Posts
All,

I just performed the second oil and filter change on my 2019 Hellcat. First done by dealership. I did this to stay within the required six month oil and filter change interval to maintain warranty and prior to putting the car up for winter.

I've a four post lift so removing the four screw belly pan was easy with the 10mm socket. Same with the 13mm oil drain pan nut.

I couldn't loosen the oil filter by hand however. I have a "jaws" type oil filter wrench and gave that about an 80% effort, then balked at potentially hurting myself with higher effort. I fortunately have a neighbor who has the ratchet type thingamabob that goes up to fit on the bottom of the oil filter.

I drained all the oil, then carefully removed the oil filter - oil streamed down my arm so I've got to figure out a better way to do that! How do the dealership guys avoid that? Anyone have any tips?

Best,

Finface

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,681 Posts
If you get it loose so you can unscrew it by hand. Slip a ziplock 1 gallon bag over it (like it's in the bag), unscrew it and oil and filter will be in ziplock bag :)

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,641 Posts
You could also get the 45 degree oil filter adapter. My 5.7 on my JGC came equipped with one and it really helps keep the oil flow from the filter contained to a single stream.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you get it loose so you can unscrew it by hand. Slip a ziplock 1 gallon bag over it (like it's in the bag), unscrew it and oil and filter will be in ziplock bag :)

A Guy
Thanks A Guy! As usual, you are a fount of wisdom here!

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
All,

I just performed the second oil and filter change on my 2019 Hellcat. First done by dealership. I did this to stay within the required six month oil and filter change interval to maintain warranty and prior to putting the car up for winter.

I've a four post lift so removing the four screw belly pan was easy with the 10mm socket. Same with the 13mm oil drain pan nut.

I couldn't loosen the oil filter by hand however. I have a "jaws" type oil filter wrench and gave that about an 80% effort, then balked at potentially hurting myself with higher effort. I fortunately have a neighbor who has the ratchet type thingamabob that goes up to fit on the bottom of the oil filter.

I drained all the oil, then carefully removed the oil filter - oil streamed down my arm so I've got to figure out a better way to do that! How do the dealership guys avoid that? Anyone have any tips?

Best,

Finface
don't forget that the external oil cooler also has a drain plug - you have to remove the screws that have the cover panel. The oil-to-air HC cooler is on passenger side, towards the front fascia

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Hal,

True - to do it correctly you have to do that extra step. The lift made that easy enough. There were only a few ounces of oil trapped in that oil cooler and I imagine if the oil was still fresh it wouldn't hurt to forgo messing with the external oil cooler. I did it (saw a video how to do it), but while I was doing it I was thinking, "Shiitake mushroom, I only put 908 miles on this Super De Duper Pennzoil Synthetic oil between these changes and it looks clean!"

At the rate I'm going as a fair weather driver, with the six month interval driving oil and filter changes not mileage, I'll be getting about 1,000 miles between six month changes. The cost and effort is just part of owning a Hellcat - and if the tradeoff for maintaining full five year/60,000 mile warranty on the engine/drivetrain with 797 HP is doing it I'm happy enough doing it. I checked with my dealership about DIY and the service manager had no problem with it. He just said keep the oil and filter receipts and document the dates you do it in the manual.

I'm never going to race the car, which would void the warranty, but I am going to do two or three gentlemanly HPDE events each year. That kind of spirited driving shouldn't overtax a car built to do exactly that. I know it's a risk, and a possible fight with FCA, but I really had a blast at the NCM track and think I might be addicted. And now I don't feel the same desire to experiment with the power of the car on public roads - I went way faster on the track (and at the drag strips on a couple of test and tune nights).

Best,

Finface

21 - 34 of 34 Posts