Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are my options as far as acquiring a new key fob, I have the original key from inside the fob but not the fob itself and my car is not driveable.

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wrote the below description before I realized you said you do not currently possess the original fobs. Without them, you can't self-program and will require a qualified locksmith or dealer in every case. But for those who do have the fobs, here:

It can be done cheaper, but there are pitfalls. For my '13 RT I got a pair of cheap fobs off Ebay for $15 that were listed as compatible. They looked as good as the factory fobs and I have little doubt that they would work. It was $5 to have the keys cut, and in theory they could be self-programmed doing the pat your head and rub your stomach dance you will find described on the web. So for a base car you could do it for +/-$20. But then I learned that my car with remote start requires a different, and more expensive, fob, that is not self-programmable. This only applies to remote start cars, and the fob is known as a "proximity fob" because the door locks and remote start button in the dash sense it when it gets in close proximity and do not require you to pull it out of your pocket to open the door or start the car. Supposedly, you can still self-program one of these fobs to work following the sequence, but without an actual computer hookup and programming it will still work, only you lose the proximity feature. In other words, if you try to self program one of these, the car will only start by removing the push to start button from the dash, sticking the fob into the slot and turning it like a non-push-to-start car. Obviously, I had no interest in that and stopped there. I have seen proximity fobs on the web for $65 and my key guy has the equipment and ability to program them, which he will do for $35. But he won't guarantee success if I supply the fob. He will guarantee results if he supplies the fob, but he wants over $100 for the fob, plus the programming. I have not yet gone further, but can theoretically get a fob off the web for $65, pay another $40 to my locksmith and should be good to go. Or, I could pay $140 and have him supply the fob if I don't want to chance it with an Ebay fob. Or then there is the dealer........... Oh, and my research indicates that all 2014 or 2015+ cars require programming regardless. But good locksmiths can do it and mine swears he will undercut the dealer price whatever.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,145 Posts
  1. Go to dealer
  2. Pull Pants down
  3. Bend over
A "stealership" will charge $200 for the key fob and another $75-100 to program it.

In their defense though, after they rob you, I'm pretty sure they don't prance around holding bags of your money with the dollar sign spray painted on the bags just in case you're slow. So they at least extend you THAT courtesy I bet.

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
The lesson from this is if you have an '08 - '14

SRT8

or an R/T '09 - '11 with EVIC (push button start / steering wheel buttons)

and the models '11 - '14 (A5 have remote start)

that you need to proximity fob.

Buyers spring for the budget priced online fob and find out it only operates in the dash ignition port and nothing else as far as proximity features work.

The proximity features:

*Remote start (A5 models with EVIC '08 - '10 or '11 - '14 w/ A5)
*Push button start ('08 - '10 with EVIC or all '11 - '14)
*Keyless entry for doors / trunk '11 - '14 (these have touch sensitive door handles / trunk switch)

Even the dealer has to order the correct fob between A5 models that would have remote start vs. the non-proximity fob OR proximity w/o remote start (M6) versions.

Note: the earlier years '08 - '10 don't have Keyless Entry for doors / trunk - you have to press the buttons on the fob to open these up outside of the car.

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
The lesson from this is if you have an '08 - '14

SRT8

or an R/T '09 - '11 with EVIC (push button start / steering wheel buttons)

and the models '11 - '14 (A5 have remote start)

that you need to proximity fob.

Buyers spring for the budget priced online fob and find out it only operates in the dash ignition port and nothing else as far as proximity features work.

The proximity features:

*Remote start (A5 models with EVIC '08 - '10 or '11 - '14 w/ A5)
*Push button start ('08 - '10 with EVIC or all '11 - '14)
*Keyless entry for doors / trunk '11 - '14 (these have touch sensitive door handles / trunk switch)

Even the dealer has to order the correct fob between A5 models that would have remote start vs. the non-proximity fob OR proximity w/o remote start (M6) versions.

Note: the earlier years '08 - '10 don't have Keyless Entry for doors / trunk - you have to press the buttons on the fob to open these up outside of the car.
You are toying with my emotions here...I initially thought I could go the el-cheapo route to replace one or both of my dead FOBs, but then I participated in a thread discussion here that saw another member with a ‘10 try that route and get rebuffed by the Dealership when attempting to have the FOBs programmed. So I resigned myself to just living with using the key to unlock a locked car and the door lock switch to lock it.

But now you come along with your facts and your information, giving me hope again...I just don’t know what to believe now.

This is tearing me up inside, it’s like there is a tornado of emotions deep down inside me in the places men aren’t supposed to talk about in public.

I may need to make up with my court-appointed therapist if I am going to reopen this old wound and try it on my own car. If it works I will be overjoyed beyond description. If it doesn’t and I have to shell out $250 or so for a single FOB, I will likely go insane on the spot and be left a drooling, incompetent vegetable.

Hmmmmmmm, what to do, what to do.....

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
You are toying with my emotions here...I initially thought I could go the el-cheapo route to replace one or both of my dead FOBs, but then I participated in a thread discussion here that saw another member with a ‘10 try that route and get rebuffed by the Dealership when attempting to have the FOBs programmed. So I resigned myself to just living with using the key to unlock a locked car and the door lock switch to lock it.

But now you come along with your facts and your information, giving me hope again...I just don’t know what to believe now.

This is tearing me up inside, it’s like there is a tornado of emotions deep down inside me in the places men aren’t supposed to talk about in public.

I may need to make up with my court-appointed therapist if I am going to reopen this old wound and try it on my own car. If it works I will be overjoyed beyond description. If it doesn’t and I have to shell out $250 or so for a single FOB, I will likely go insane on the spot and be left a drooling, incompetent vegetable.

Hmmmmmmm, what to do, what to do.....
Nuke - if you have a '10 SE. You don't have EVIC or push button start capability or Keyless Go

Your former '11 SXT would have had those features.

The EVIC was standard on SRTs and optional on R/T models in '08 - '10.

Anyway - with the correct fob and locksmith that has the license (and software) can program a fob for your car.

The dealer probably shies away from the aftermarket items - as when issues arise, they're trying to deal with an unknown part that might / might not work. That's the last thing they want to get tangled up with.

Much like Luke & Josh at Steve White mentioned about aftermarket alternators - they've seen issues with them...and its not rare for that problem.

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Nuke - if you have a '10 SE. You don't have EVIC or push button start capability or Keyless Go

Your former '11 SXT would have had those features.

The EVIC was standard on SRTs and optional on R/T models in '08 - '10.

Anyway - with the correct fob and locksmith that has the license (and software) can program a fob for your car.

The dealer probably shies away from the aftermarket items - as when issues arise, they're trying to deal with an unknown part that might / might not work. That's the last thing they want to get tangled up with.

Much like Luke & Josh at Steve White mentioned about aftermarket alternators - they've seen issues with them...and its not rare for that problem.
Got it - you are personally giving me your word that it will work, and that my satisfaction is guaranteed or you will drive to Texas and do whatever it takes to make me whole again...right? :wink3:

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
Got it - you are personally giving me your word that it will work, and that my satisfaction is guaranteed or you will drive to Texas and do whatever it takes to make me whole again...right? :wink3:
Where I live now, I'm closer to you...but that's still 1,000 mi haul.

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Where I live now, I'm closer to you...but that's still 1,000 mi haul.
I will try not to take it personally that you sound reticent to go on a road trip in your hopped-up Challenger to see a fellow CT member.

I mean, almost all of the elements of a kick-ass trip are present:
1. vehicle which is trustworthy enough to take and fun enough to drive on long distances - CHECK
2. destination that has plenty to do and plenty to see - CHECK
3. travel companions OR destination inhabitants which offer titillating conversation and are generally a pleasure to be around - UNCHECK?

It sounds like the only unpleasant aspect of any potential road-trip is me, and while I fully admit to disliking the general population and preferring instead to avoid talking to them at all, I would have considered you separate from them. You, , @Hal H, would have been given special dispensation with regards to my policy on interacting with other humans.

For YOU, I would have gladly made an exception; I would have finally let down my defenses and opened up about what makes me tick just like everyone says I should do. Hell, for you, I would have even put on deodorant when we went for steaks and beers!

But alas, it is not to be...that's fine, I've been neglecting the yard lately. So it is probably better if I do some weeding anyway with the time I would have spent eating steaks and drinking beer with you and your Challenger.

Regards,
Nuke

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
I will try not to take it personally that you sound reticent to go on a road trip in your hopped-up Challenger to see a fellow CT member.

I mean, almost all of the elements of a kick-ass trip are present:
1. vehicle which is trustworthy enough to take and fun enough to drive on long distances - CHECK
2. destination that has plenty to do and plenty to see - CHECK
3. travel companions OR destination inhabitants which offer titillating conversation and are generally a pleasure to be around - UNCHECK?

It sounds like the only unpleasant aspect of any potential road-trip is me, and while I fully admit to disliking the general population and preferring instead to avoid talking to them at all, I would have considered you separate from them. You, , @Hal H, would have been given special dispensation with regards to my policy on interacting with other humans.

For YOU, I would have gladly made an exception; I would have finally let down my defenses and opened up about what makes me tick just like everyone says I should do. Hell, for you, I would have even put on deodorant when we went for steaks and beers!

But alas, it is not to be...that's fine, I've been neglecting the yard lately. So it is probably better if I do some weeding anyway with the time I would have spent eating steaks and drinking beer with you and your Challenger.

Regards,
Nuke
Oh the endless hours of travel through the rural, humid parts of GA > MS > LA to get to Texas...

I'd like to plan a trip to the Wellborn Museum in AL, but that's about as much driving in that general direction I'd want to do.

I have planned trip to MI coming up this summer (Woodward Dream Cruise) if a new job doesn't interfere with those plans.
My new house is expected to finish build & close in September - and I'll take off time to get moved into the new house. I can expect to only take off so much time if starting a new job any time soon.

You're always welcome to visit NC. The new house is planned to get a 2 post lift :) already have spec'd a dedicated 220v circuit for that purpose.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,954 Posts
He will serve you slices of Nolan Ryan (don't ask me how he acquired them, but he seems fond of saying he is preparing Nolan Ryan steaks :surprise: )

A Guy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts