Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 RT Plus that comes off warranty in March 2021. I have the dreaded exhaust rattle. Took it in under warranty and had the TSB done. Rattles less, but is still there intermittently. Trying to decide whether to push to get it fixed under warranty (which could mean it could return someday even with exhaust replacement) or simply have the delete kit installed. If I do the latter, does anyone have a recommendation of an exhaust shop here in Salt Lake City that could be recommended? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Watch the YouTube videos on the various kit installs, if you can follow basic instructions you can install any of the kits yourself in your driveway in less than 30min.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watch the YouTube videos on the various kit installs, if you can follow basic instructions you can install any of the kits yourself in your driveway in less than 30min.
Thank you. I have watched those installs of various kits and you are right, they look pretty straightforward. I don’t kind paying to have it done, but I would prefer a recommended shop to do the work. Of course maybe I could get my son-in-law to do it :)

I guess the other question I should ask is....does it get rid of the rattle?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Will the delete throw a code? I had some trouble with my active exhaust after a exhaust upgrade. The system threw a fault code until I could make the repair.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Not if he installs a simulator (kit). They allow the actuators to operate as expected

A Guy

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a 2018 RT Plus that comes off warranty in March 2021. I have the dreaded exhaust rattle. Took it in under warranty and had the TSB done. Rattles less, but is still there intermittently. Trying to decide whether to push to get it fixed under warranty (which could mean it could return someday even with exhaust replacement) or simply have the delete kit installed. If I do the latter, does anyone have a recommendation of an exhaust shop here in Salt Lake City that could be recommended? Thanks in advance!
The shop i go to is premier complete auto care. They did my springs and shocks and I've already got them lined up for a kenne bell install. Theyre really good. And They're located in midvale.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wired mine open on my 2019 1320 and the rattle was gone and no codes. Took about 15 mins. Pretty easy to do.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry, I am obviously late to the party but I’d like to know more about this rattle since I have the same vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I took it back in to the dealer under warranty and had them look at the rattle-like noise again since it it still there intermittently even after having the TSB repair done. Took the tech for a ride and after a few attempts I was able to re-create the sound I was hearing (Auto trans, regular mode, 32-35 mph). Tech said that it was a normal baffle sound when you get pressure on both sides like a jake-brake and that sound is a product of how the baffles were engineered. He said he gets vehicles in with that sound from time to time. If it makes the sound all the time no matter RPM or speed, warranty will cover a new exhaust. Mine is quite intermittent and probably wouldn't be approved for the replacement under warranty. He's not a fan of the design, but in his discussions with the Dodge tech people, this baffle acoustic noise can happen.

So.....we'll see what to do next. Maybe try the active-exhaust deletes.

Sorry, I am obviously late to the party but I’d like to know more about this rattle since I have the same vehicle.
It is a rattle noise at the baffles in the active exhaust. Will appear at low RPM/Speed with very slight press on accelerator. If you didn't know better, you'd think it was an exhaust heat shield vibrating.

I wired mine open on my 2019 1320 and the rattle was gone and no codes. Took about 15 mins. Pretty easy to do.....
Thanks. I'm thinking that no matter if the unit is even replaced, the sound could still be there or even come back, so permanently deleting the active baffles in some way may be the best approach.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is a rattle noise at the baffles in the active exhaust. Will appear at low RPM/Speed with very slight press on accelerator. If you didn't know better, you'd think it was an exhaust heat shield vibrating.
Hmmm, I'll have to see if I can find the TSB.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
672 Posts
I just got out from under my Challenger after eliminating the exhaust rattle. I removed the actuators and then welded the AES valves in the full open position. My car didn't come with active exhaust, but I got one free and decided to use it. I really like the sound, and the price was right. In the case of cars factory equipped with AES, a delete kit would be necessary to prevent the check engine light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts