Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is mentioned in another post, or in 100 other posts. I tried to search and couldn't find a simple answer, so I'm hoping someone can assit.

I own a 2015 Challenger R/T Plus, I've owned it since day one, and it still has the factory exhaust. The 2017's and up came with the Active Exhaust or Dual Mode Exhaust whatever you want to call it. Is there a kit that someone makes to install this on the 2015's & 2016s? If not a kit, what is involved in purchasing a standard exhaust for a 2017 and making it work on a 2015 or 2016? I love the sound of the newer R/T's, was thinking maybe it'd be cool to add it to mine if it isn't ridiculously complicated, or expensive.

Has anyone else here done it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,894 Posts
The exhaust is controlled through the pcm.

You would have to figure out if it can be connected, then there's the programming to make it respond.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this. I would guess that it would be expensive, just do to the fact that your present pcm doesn't support this active exhaust system.

What sounds like an easy task gets complex quickly.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,197 Posts
Most people want to disable this system, not add it. It's certainly not worth the trouble it would take to make it work.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
192 Posts
Everyone deletes the active exhaust, I've never heard of anyone wanting it installed until now. Odds are the great sounding exhaust you hear from the newer cars is achieved at start up (valves open) or full throttle (valves open) or in sport mode (valves open more often). You could probably get a take-off catback from someone who went aftermarket and tie the valves open with wire or tack-weld them open and get the sound you are looking for. The cars with active exhaust have 2.75 inch exhaust (my 2020 R/T did) and I think they have more open mufflers and resonators than the ones without. I'm not certain but I believe older cars without active exhaust have either 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipe.

Personally I deleted the active exhaust, swapped out the mids with Flowmaster Super 44's and left the rear resonators. I get TONS of compliments on the sound of my exhaust.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone deletes the active exhaust, I've never heard of anyone wanting it installed until now. Odds are the great sounding exhaust you hear from the newer cars is achieved at start up (valves open) or full throttle (valves open) or in sport mode (valves open more often). You could probably get a take-off catback from someone who went aftermarket and tie the valves open with wire or tack-weld them open and get the sound you are looking for. The cars with active exhaust have 2.75 inch exhaust (my 2020 R/T did) and I think they have more open mufflers and resonators than the ones without. I'm not certain but I believe older cars without active exhaust have either 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipe.

Personally I deleted the active exhaust, swapped out the mids with Flowmaster Super 44's and left the rear resonators. I get TONS of compliments on the sound of my exhaust.
Jesse,
Do you have any sound clips or videos of yours? I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

The exhaust is controlled through the pcm.

You would have to figure out if it can be connected, then there's the programming to make it respond.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this. I would guess that it would be expensive, just do to the fact that your present pcm doesn't support this active exhaust system.

What sounds like an easy task gets complex quickly.
John, thanks for the info, definitely never even thought of it being controlled by PCM..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jesse,
Do you have any sound clips or videos of yours? I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
No sound clips unfortunately. Although I take any clip I hear on the internet with a grain of salt, the sound could be way different in person and the quality depends on how good the microphone that records it is AND how good your speakers are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts