Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '15 6-speed Scat Pak and still trying to learn about all the features.....so still very much a newb here. Can someone please explain to me, in detail, exactly how the active exhaust works? How do I know for sure it's open or not? and can I make it sure it stays open if so desired?
Thank you!

·
Registered
759 Posts
From what I understand, its a valve that opens more and more as you apply throttle to the car, being fully open at wide open throttle. I do not believe you can actually set it as open all the time because it is a feature that is programed into the cars computer. People who swap mufflers and things like that usually delete the system by buying fake plug ins for the valves (that are wired to the cars harness) that trick the PCM into thinking that the valves are still there. I do believe though that there are some aftermarket exhaust systems that sill utilize the valve system.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
A valve is located in each exhaust pipe between the muffler and resonator. The valve is controlled by the ECM, it stays opens more in Sport mode than it does in Default mode. In Track mode it remains open all the time. Track mode is not accessible on stock Scat Packs however Track mode can be accessed if one purchases and installs Tazer. Many Tazer discussions on this forum. Work Play Drive you tube channel did a great video on the open exhaust subject.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thank you for the good info! Sounds like I can't really directly control the exhaust actuator.
You sure can. More, or less throttle! I actually find myself staying in lower gears more than I normally would just to hear that sweet exhaust note.

Your other option is to buy a delete kit online or get electronic dumps. They sell active exhaust delete kit for like 200 bucks, and the dumps option is much more expensive(reaching into the $500 dollar range if I recall).

·
Super Moderator
15,351 Posts
Thank you for the good info! Sounds like I can't really directly control the exhaust actuator.
Put Sport mode on - it turns up throttle response and the active exhaust valves open up sooner too.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
Put Sport mode on - it turns up throttle response and the active exhaust valves open up sooner too.
Put it in Track mode & I can't hear the wife anymore:icon_cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input and ideas! I have a better understanding now of how it works and what options I have. ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine has been squeaking like crazy every time I give it a light tap on the throttle. This happened before and the dealership took it apart and put it back together and the squeak went away, for a while. I need to take it in again.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Mine has been squeaking like crazy every time I give it a light tap on the throttle. This happened before and the dealership took it apart and put it back together and the squeak went away, for a while. I need to take it in again.
It's the springs in the system. If you run it in sport mode that stops it. Short of them replacing it you won't get a resolution. And even then it still probably won't last long.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts

With a stock 2015 M6 like mine (No TaZer Track Mode like in my video ) you will have a more open experience using Sport Mode. I still need to borescope the Active Exhaust with the TaZer removed using sport mode to see how open it is.

I've been speaking with the TaZer creator and he is working on a setting to open the active exhaust full time without changing the drive mode. Some people want the sound but don't want the more agressive throttle control and Hellcat Owners would prefer to NOT drive in Track Mode because their internal organs pay the price :). They are also working on a memory feature to remember drive settings so when you start the car and prefer to always drive in Sport Mode the car will start in Sport mode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's the springs in the system. If you run it in sport mode that stops it. Short of them replacing it you won't get a resolution. And even then it still probably won't last long.

Mine has the same problem...when I tap on the throttle and release I get this "chirping" sound, have you found any permanent solution? It's the exhaust valve or springs I'm assuming also. The previous owner did a mid muffler delete so now my local won't look at it.. Any suggestions?? Or anything I really should be concerned about?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Mine has the same problem...when I tap on the throttle and release I get this "chirping" sound, have you found any permanent solution? It's the exhaust valve or springs I'm assuming also. The previous owner did a mid muffler delete so now my local won't look at it.. Any suggestions?? Or anything I really should be concerned about?
It's the active exhaust valves squeaking. Mine do the same thing. As someone else said run it in sport mode all the time and that stops it. Or look into getting an AE simulator.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The valves can be controlled with HPTuners to suite whatever your needs are, in factory trim they’re programmed to open or close based on engine rpm and requested torque, normal, sport, mds, track mode, and some sort of limiting torque management that is also designed to keep the car quiet at certain rpm ranges, called drive-by mode. In Scatpacks and sport mode, the valves are commanded at 100%, but that drive-by mode can close the when the conditions for the limit are met, even if you have sport mode engaged.

The system can be used to your advantage if you have changed your exhaust to something louder, or if you just want to keep them open at all times (no need for track mode),

I have deleted the resonators and I have Dynomax minis in place of the mid mufflers, I didn’t want it loud at all times, so in normal mode I’m commanding them at 3% open at low rpm/low-mid torrque requests, 30% past 3000rpm, 50%. wot, my normal mode now features the same factory throttle calibration for Sport mode, and my Sport mode is more aggressive than factory Sport, plus active exhaust commands the valves 100% open without the drive-by noise, I have also tamed down cold starts, useful when I’m leaving for work at 5am every day :), my valves are also switching to open or close from idle, again if I wanted her loud all the time, I can command 100% open in normal and sport (I don’t have track mode from the factory). So they are always open regardless of mode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yeah so I took it to the dealer..my check engine light has been coming off n on, comes n goes and essentially has been disabling my remote start, very annoying. They told me the code it was throwing was due to the exhaust, I have mid muffler delete, straight pipe. They just told me the chirping may also be related to the mod. But I've been running it in sport mode since your suggestion, runs with no chirping..drives n feels better that way anyhow! Regardless, still kinda annoying if I'm gonna be dealing w engine lights coming n going ..

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
He has a 2015 6 speed manual so his Sport mode is probably not working. I have heard that Dodge claims to have put out a patch to fix the 2015's but I have also read that a lot of 2015 manual owner's are having problems getting the patch to install. While us 2016 manual Challenger owners are still on our knees pleading with Dodge to PLEASE GIVE US OUR SPORT MODE BACK WE WILL BE GOOD AND NOT BREAK OUR CHALLENGERS USING THE SPORT MODE AT THE TRACK AND BRING THEM TO THE DEALER FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS WE PROMISE!:crying:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts