Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: '16 SP Shaker 392 / M6:

I was in stop / go traffic coming back from a show.

Noticed with the windows rolled down that at 9mph I could hear the valves open (each bank is a split second apart) and when decel, you get below 5mph - the make a clanking noise when the valves open and when they close.

I was crawling for several miles and could make the observations - if you were rolling above that speed, and even up shifting (I'd occasionally get to 2nd gear) they stay open. I could blip the throttle / rev engine and it wouldn't make any additional noises.

It almost sounds like when you run over the steel covers that would be on smaller valves (water or gas) in the street and they make that metallic clank sound if the tire rolls just right on the edge...

Since they're both doing this, I'd doubt the spring in the valve assembly has broken - but I though I'd ask around.

-I typically don't spend a couple of miles doing a crawl like that, but I discovered this (have just over 10k on the car)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am adding the MFER1 kit to my car so they stay open all the time. It should also stop the clank you are talking about since the motor will not be turning the valve anymore.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You can also go with the AES valve delete. I plan on doing that to mine to keep them open. Mine squeak under light throttle.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
I get that metallic sound everytime I start the car. However, my AEV are open all the time since I relocated the AEV motors to the trunk. In my case, and maybe yours, the sound is the motor/spring operation and not the valves. Normal.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just posted a thread on this a little bit ago. I made a couple Youtube videos of it and posted the link in the thread. I took it by the dealer and they are replacing the entire exhaust from the cat back. Evidently, they cannot replace just the valve or any specific section. Mine were squeaking while doing exactly what you described. I am waiting on parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts