Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, so I am pretty sure one or both of my exhaust butterfly valves is squeaking. When I put it in gear and barely touch the throttle and let off I get a short little chirp from under the car. It doesn't change pitch and it does it without fail whenever I give it about 10%ish throttle and let off. It does not make the noise when I select Track mode on the SRT screen. This is weird because it will do it in Sport and Default. It will also make the noise when I do a custom mode and set all of the values to Track and/or anything in between. It would seem that even when you do custom mode and you set everything to Track, it actually isn't "full Track mode". When I press the Track button and then do the throttle thing I do not hear any squeaking from under the car. So I am confident that it is not a motor mount, trans mount, exhaust hangar, or suspension component. It doesn't squeak when going over bumps or constant throttle starting. If I smash the gas and stay in it I don't get any noises at all. It seems like it only does it off idle up to 1500 or so RPMs and immediately let off the throttle. No codes or anything and I can't seem to hear it when I do remote start. I will take a video of it when I have some time and I am going to make an appointment with my dealer tomorrow. Hopefully, they can troubleshoot this right the first time and not waste a bunch of my time. I am never confident that they look for the same thing when I bring my car in. I will let you folks know what they decide.

The car is completely stock with 20k miles. This would be the second major repair with the car. First repair was a new motor because of a broken valve spring. I am fine with the noise for now so long as it doesn't go into some crazy limp mode or something. Even if I get a code until it gets repaired I am fine with so long as it gets fixed. I swear this car is making it hard for me to love it. I have some fit finish problems, paint defects, new motor, and now this. Sure it is under warranty, but I am not so confident that these things will hold up in the long term. Here goes a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4 Posts
After taking the active exhaust squeak to the dealer with only 21,000 miles, and just out of bumper to bumper warranty because its older than 36 months, they said I would need to replace the entire exhaust at the cost of $3100 plus labor... Unbelievable. I found a solution with an active exhaust delete kit from MFER-1. So far so good! He was very helpful over the phone too!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
After taking the active exhaust squeak to the dealer with only 21,000 miles, and just out of bumper to bumper warranty because its older than 36 months, they said I would need to replace the entire exhaust at the cost of $3100 plus labor... Unbelievable. I found a solution with an active exhaust delete kit from MFER-1. So far so good! He was very helpful over the phone too!
Or run it in sport mode all the time. It keeps the valves open and they don't squeak

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my Scat Pack, the valves squeaked in sport mode just as much as in normal mode. I could not do anything to make it go away. Maybe track mode might have solved the problem by leaving the valves open all the time, but I don't have track mode.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sport does not keep the valves open all the time. They stay open more often due to the more aggressive throttle and the trans holding the gears longer, but the valves open and close as normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey folks, so I am pretty sure one or both of my exhaust butterfly valves is squeaking. When I put it in gear and barely touch the throttle and let off I get a short little chirp from under the car. It doesn't change pitch and it does it without fail whenever I give it about 10%ish throttle and let off. It does not make the noise when I select Track mode on the SRT screen. This is weird because it will do it in Sport and Default. It will also make the noise when I do a custom mode and set all of the values to Track and/or anything in between. It would seem that even when you do custom mode and you set everything to Track, it actually isn't "full Track mode". When I press the Track button and then do the throttle thing I do not hear any squeaking from under the car. So I am confident that it is not a motor mount, trans mount, exhaust hangar, or suspension component. It doesn't squeak when going over bumps or constant throttle starting. If I smash the gas and stay in it I don't get any noises at all. It seems like it only does it off idle up to 1500 or so RPMs and immediately let off the throttle. No codes or anything and I can't seem to hear it when I do remote start. I will take a video of it when I have some time and I am going to make an appointment with my dealer tomorrow. Hopefully, they can troubleshoot this right the first time and not waste a bunch of my time. I am never confident that they look for the same thing when I bring my car in. I will let you folks know what they decide.

The car is completely stock with 20k miles. This would be the second major repair with the car. First repair was a new motor because of a broken valve spring. I am fine with the noise for now so long as it doesn't go into some crazy limp mode or something. Even if I get a code until it gets repaired I am fine with so long as it gets fixed. I swear this car is making it hard for me to love it. I have some fit finish problems, paint defects, new motor, and now this. Sure it is under warranty, but I am not so confident that these things will hold up in the long term. Here goes a trip to the dealer.
Idk if you ever got this fixed but go underneath your challenger and look at the active exhaust there are two small holes one on top one on bottom spray wd-40 in there and the squeak goes away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts