Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a Cars & Coffee meeting last weekend. One of the conversations was debating on what the actual/true horsepower is for the 2015-16 392 Hemi in our Challengers & Chargers. As we all know, Dodge has them listed as 485 HP. Others have claimed that the real HP rating is somewhere near the 500 mark. :argue:

So for all you real gear-heads and Dyno testers out there, is there any real proof that the 392 has a higher rating then the advertised 485? If so, I'd like to hear your opinions or tests that were done for the next Cars & Coffee I attend. :read::eek:hthedrama:

·
Registered
786 Posts
One would have to get a representative sample of SP autos in all configurations and a range of mileages; manual and auto, Shaker and non-Shaker, all with unmodified engines, transmissions, and drivelines to be tested on a single certified dynamometer. All done with similar temperatures and barometric pressures. Then, one can examine the data.

It would be fun to see the results, but trying to find all those cars to test would be quite an undertaking.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Keep in mind you are only talking about 3% more horsepower basically, something that could be made on a good DA day when the motor is warmed up but not hot yet.

The SRT engineers said their motors' output could vary by 2% in an SRT engineering chat session back in the day.

·
Super Moderator
15,732 Posts
they would hit the minimum of 485hp as that's the advertised / disclosed power rating.

with the variances in tolerance there can be some that can be above that (like the comment of a 2% variance), but the minimum is what the mfgr. has disclosed.

Reactions: Max57

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've never seen anything over 380 horses on the "engine" portion of performance pages on my SRT. That was flooring it in track mode for at least a 1/4 mile. I wonder where that readout comes from. I'm also around a mile high and more.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Is the rating at the crank or at the wheels. I think some members have posted dyno sheets way under 485.
That rating is at the crank. I wish we could universally agree on only speaking of wheel HP because it's much more relevant.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is a post on here somewhere where quite a few sp's were dynoed and going by 15% loss a bunch of them
did 500hp or more with minimal mods

·
Registered
51 Posts
I saw a bone stock 392 out of a wrecked 2015 SRT do 516 (hp) and 491 (ft Ibs) at the crank on a engine dyno. Friend of mine wanted to make sure it was ok before installing in a kit car he is building.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I seem to remember a FCA engineer saying the HP was measured at some facility at altitude, something like 3000+ feet and more than 80 degrees. If that is true then these engines are capable of much more under better conditions.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Hp is an abstract number, every dyno will give you a different number. If you take 2 392's and strap them to the same dyno one after the other the numbers will be different some very little, some a lot.

·
Super Moderator
15,732 Posts
I saw a bone stock 392 out of a wrecked 2015 SRT do 516 (hp) and 491 (ft Ibs) at the crank on a engine dyno. Friend of mine wanted to make sure it was ok before installing in a kit car he is building.
Keep in mind the mfgr. test the engine fully dressed - airbox, air filter, all accessories that are engine driven and full exhaust system.

If someone puts the engine on the dyno and just the exhaust manifolds are present, that's another variable.

Reactions: rickbell and Max57

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
"Keep in mind you are only talking about 3% more horsepower basically, something that could be made on a good DA day when the motor is warmed up but not hot yet.

The SRT engineers said their motors' output could vary by 2% in an SRT engineering chat session back in the day."

Finally...someone who understands that horsepower ratings are not fixed numbers. 485HP or 500HP? That's the same number so there is no difference.

As for using only rear wheel HP numbers instead of crank.....that's even more flawed. You're then considering all the losses in the drivetrain...while that might give you a good picture of the vehicle's potential, it doesn't address the issue at hand which is horsepower production. The key being that it is far easier and far more beneficial to produce more HP if you want to go faster than it is to lessen losses in a transmission or differential.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Here is a large sample from a Dyno Day this weekend

Most of these cars have some modifications, Runs done on a DynoJet. We had one car that was just Dynoed at a different shop and the numbers were 30 hp higher at the other shop

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Interesting. I guess for us everyday driving guys, it boils down to just good ole' kick in the pants fun and how much you want regardless of HP. For others I think it's bragging rights.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Back in the old days, anyone who walked around bragging about HP numbers was automatically suspect. It's the same today.

I had my 68 cuda with a 440 (still do). It probably had 400HP but it sure beat a lot of 700 and 900 HP cars...

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
For what it's worth, here's my dyno sheet from a couple of months back at HHP in Delaware...

...there were about 6 Challengers, mine recorded the third highest RWHP at 461 - the highest was 481, the lowest 431.

Ironically, the lowest pulled immediately after mine did.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts