Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what I have seen, the challenger scat pack has over 500 hp, easily. If you go to the hp gauge that you can access on the dashboard, if you start from a dig and just punch my gauge has displayed 503 hp. SO, basically the 392 has more power than Dodge claims.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,585 Posts
While that may end up being true, I certainly wouldn't base saying it was by the gauges in the car. 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, probably pretty close, not precise.

A Guy

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
From what I have seen, the challenger scat pack has over 500 hp, easily. If you go to the hp gauge that you can access on the dashboard, if you start from a dig and just punch my gauge has displayed 503 hp. SO, basically the 392 has more power than Dodge claims.
While it is very likely the actual output of the 392 is over the 485hp Dodge claims the HP displayed by the gauge is a calculated value not an actual HP measurement. The value is based on load and load itself is a calculated value.

·
Registered
774 Posts
That on board computer monitoring of hp while definitely trick, is anything but accurate.
Most stock 392s dyno around 415-425. At 15% parasitic loss, that puts it very on par with Dodges 485 rating.

This isn’t the 70s anymore when car manufacturers were attempting to underate cars to fool insurance companies to boost sales. Companies (most notably Dodge) love to brag about their 5-10 hp increases from adding an exhaust and “cai” to a car to make it a special edition. I don’t think if they love throwing those numbers out so confidently that they would underate a NA car making 500hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,959 Posts
That on board computer monitoring of hp while definitely trick, is anything but accurate.
Most stock 392s dyno around 415-425. At 15% parasitic loss, that puts it very on par with Dodges 485 rating.

This isn’t the 70s anymore when car manufacturers were attempting to underate cars to fool insurance companies to boost sales. Companies (most notably Dodge) love to brag about their 5-10 hp increases from adding an exhaust and “cai” to a car to make it a special edition. I don’t think if they love throwing those numbers out so confidently that they would underate a NA car making 500hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, mostly. And what I have read about the 392 is they could have had it over 500 but not as drivable. with that nice low flat torque curve it is such a peaceful engine to drive like a normal human, and then you can also let it wind out and take advantage of the power. If it was "peaky" and made 500, it may have actually been slower, especially with the M6. The A8 would help keep it in the peak HP range a bit better. All I know is I love it.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Something to keep in mind is the SAE horsepower rating is at 1400 DA or something like that, so it's 485 hp at 1400 DA, and it's pretty easy to be in an environment below that at sea level.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
FWIW the tuning school recently blogged dyno runs of a stock 6.4 and the same 6.4 with the VVT tweaked.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
FWIW the tuning school recently blogged dyno runs of a stock 6.4 and the same 6.4 with the VVT tweaked.
So they are getting 440 to the wheels, dang, sign me up! Interesting how it lets them hold onto some of the torque longer, but not gain any at the peak. I'd love to see those 2 graphs overlaid with stock.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
So they are getting 440 to the wheels, dang, sign me up! Interesting how it lets them hold onto some of the torque longer, but not gain any at the peak. I'd love to see those 2 graphs overlaid with stock.
Yeah, I said stock but the black line is a modified tune and the red line is the same tune but with VVT tweaked...my bad.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yeah, I said stock but the black line is a modified tune and the red line is the same tune but with VVT tweaked...my bad.
To me that is more impressive. The black line is already raised I'm sure and tweaking the valve timing raised it even more. Good article!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was at a Cars & Coffee meeting last weekend. One of the conversations was debating on what the actual/true horsepower is for the 2015-16 392 Hemi in our Challengers & Chargers. As we all know, Dodge has them listed as 485 HP. Others have claimed that the real HP rating is somewhere near the 500 mark. :argue:

So for all you real gear-heads and Dyno testers out there, is there any real proof that the 392 has a higher rating then the advertised 485? If so, I'd like to hear your opinions or tests that were done for the next Cars & Coffee I attend. :read::eek:hthedrama:
I read a report that the intention was to ship the 392 with 500+hp but the engineers said they would have had to sacrifice a lot of low end torque so they didn't do it.

I've never seen anything over 380 horses on the "engine" portion of performance pages on my SRT. That was flooring it in track mode for at least a 1/4 mile. I wonder where that readout comes from. I'm also around a mile high and more.

20200515_215906.jpg

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
If the uconnect screen is showing higher values than 485 it could be an indication that the tune has been modified. In fact, HP tuners now allows for custom HP/torque display.

Plenty of stock dyno charts on the web to indicate the RWHP is in line with advertised engine HP.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts