Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys heard if the 2019 Hellcats are coming with Adaptive Cruise Control and Front Ultrasonic Sensors?

Would you guys want that? Use that?

I was watching this youtube video and it mentioned a photo captured shows what it looks to be adaptive cruise control and also ultrasonic sensors.

I think it will come handy especially the ultrasonic sensors for parking and not hitting the curb because the front is so long it may be hard to gauge if you don't reverse park.

Why isn't there automated emergency braking, lane-departure warning, or lane-keeping assist on the current Challengers? They have it in other FCA vehicles right? Do you think those will be coming for 2019 Challengers? Also if they do come out with the ultrasonic sensors do you think they could be set up on a 17 scatpack?

Are there any good aftermarket front camera plus ultrasonic sensors out at the moment?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I think it will come handy especially the ultrasonic sensors for parking and not hitting the curb because the front is so long it may be hard to gauge if you don't reverse park.

Why isn't there automated emergency braking, lane-departure warning, or lane-keeping assist on the current Challengers?
I think it's because "most" Challenger owners actually know how to drive.......and park. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I thought the reason they didn't put adaptive cruise on Hellcats was because they needed the space for airflow. So what's different about the new Hellcat that no longer makes that a concern?

Either way, not something I need, or want. I would pass.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
I think it's because "most" Challenger owners actually know how to drive.......and park. :grin2:
Considering how many young adults can’t make a decision or doing anything without help after a lifetime of hovering parents covering their shortcomings, enter all these electronic aids. Should they ever borrow a vehicle without those capabilities, that will be a very dangerous driver.
People are too reliant on these features, look at the morons who use auto pilot on a tesla and then crash.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never.

I hardly use CC in the first place, as i tend to modulate throttle based on open highway and cop conditions. Its up/down too often to use.

Plus. .. sticks don't come with that garbage. Needing your car to intervene for your driving has never intrigued me, and i don't see the need or use. Couldn't care less about "safety".

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
On the news today, another death from using Tesla auto pilot, wake up people if you’re that preoccupied get a driver or stay home. Autonomous cars can’t work, too many factors working against it. The whole basis is to fill someone’s pocket with money.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's more of a convenience factor. Driving from LA to the bay area for 6 hours or with LA traffic the adaptive cruise comes in handy with all the braking and gassing you'll have to do

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
It's more of a convenience factor. Driving from LA to the bay area for 6 hours or with LA traffic the adaptive cruise comes in handy with all the braking and gassing you'll have to do
I would have to agree.

On my trip from the Bay Area to Vegas, I would have loved to have ACC.

But I don't road trip enough to justify it, so I'd skip it too.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
SIX HOURS? Please let me know the route you're taking! I've never done it in that little time in twenty five years!

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
My wife's 2013 Charger R/T had the dynamic cruise. I used it a few times on the interstate and didn't like it for anything more than an interesting tech gadget.
If you're anywhere close to being an "aggressive" driver and don't want to be stuck behind a slower car, you wouldn't like it. You'll set the cruise to whatever you want and then you have to pay attention to it as it will automatically slow down as you're gaining on the car in front of you. Sometimes that slowdown is small and gradual enough that I would find myself going slow for no apparent reason. It will automatically speed up when you hit the left turn signal to change lanes and then get back up to your set speed.
That may be a confusing description but, suffice it to say that it can be kind of aggravating.
I drove one time over 10 miles on the interstate without ever touch the gas or brakes just by letting it do it's thing and changing lanes, etc as traffic permitted.

The one thing I do find that's useful is that if somebody stops in front of you while you might not be paying close attention, your car will hit the brakes so you won't run into his rear end.

I wouldn't want it in my Challenger because I'd never turn it on. Given that mine is manual, it's not a choice anyway.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SIX HOURS? Please let me know the route you're taking! I've never done it in that little time in twenty five years!
I like to leave before sunrise. Ideally by 5AM, 6 hours should be easy if you only stop once to fill up gas and take a bathroom break. I use the Waze App generally. Depending on where in the bay you are going it should be even faster. Going to San Jose should be around 5 hours

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I don't want ANY of those features on my car just like I don't want my Dad cutting up my steak for me anymore. I'm not a 46 year old housewife who spends all of her brainpower thinking about lipstick, shopping, and her sick grandmother in the Carribean.

Adaptive cruise is miserable, so are auto-on wipers. I've had those in various cars including Mercedes (which shares it's bloodline withe Challenger). If I had to have it, Lexus does it best. Mercedes for all their German- engineering bluster sure produces some herky-jerky operation in its cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts