Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Added blue LEDs behind hood inserts. Had drilled out the holes in the inserts and installed the lights.
What do you think?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,734 Posts
Looks nice, but f you put them on while driving, couldn't you be charged with impersonating a police officer? Sometimes I WISH I had alternating blue lights placed in the hood vents just to get people out of my way!

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Looks nice, but f you put them on while driving, couldn't you be charged with impersonating a police officer? Sometimes I WISH I had alternating blue lights placed in the hood vents just to get people out of my way!
State by state is different but yes. Forward projecting blue lights are usually a no go unless you are at a car show or closed track.

This is for Virginia per 19VAC30-70-160/E

E. Approved type (DOT or SAE-W) blue or blue and red lights are permitted on Department of Corrections vehicles designated by the Director of the Department of Corrections and any law-enforcement vehicle.

Unless you own a DoC vehicle or designated LEO vehicle. No.

Driving Definitely a No-Go

Car Show or parked. Sure just don't go saying your police.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to check on it.
I have been behind cop cars a few times if no issues.
Once you get about a car length or more away you can't hardly noticed them.
I figured if they were not to bright, alternating or blinking there would be no problem.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
I will have to check on it.
I have been behind cop cars a few times if no issues.
Once you get about a car length or more away you can't hardly noticed them.
I figured if they were not to bright, alternating or blinking there would be no problem.
Texas Transportation Code. Section 547.305, restrictions on use of lights which states:

a person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating lights unless the equipment is:
used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
a running lamp, tail lamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

Yours would be considered a beacon so once again No. I don't understand if you say it's barely noticeable then just turn them off while driving unless your honestly trying to pose as a police car...just turn them off while driving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vehicular beacons are rotating or flashing lights affixed to the top of a vehicle to attract the attention of surrounding vehicles and pedestrians. Emergency vehicles such as fire engines, ambulances, police cars, tow trucks, construction vehicles, and snow-removal vehicles carry beacon lights.

The color of the lamps varies by jurisdiction; typical colors are blue and/or red for police, fire, and medical-emergency vehicles; amber for tow trucks, security personnel, and construction vehicles; green for volunteer firefighters, and violet for funerary vehicles. Beacons may be constructed with halogen bulbs similar to those used in vehicle headlamps, xenon flashtubes, or LEDs.[2] Incandescent and xenon light sources require the vehicle’s engine to continue running to ensure that the battery is not depleted when the lights are used for a prolonged period. The low power consumption of LEDs allows the vehicle's engine to remain turned off while the lights operate nodes.

·
Banned
349 Posts
You can try and justify or reason LEDs like this all you want, bottom line is lights like this in ANY State would be illegal while driving. Flashing or not, period.

Now, it's a matter of whether or not you would or will get pulled over for them and will you or will you not get a ticket, that is another question all together. Bottom line is these should be used at shows as they are intended but we all know there is always the kid who insists on pushing the envelope and will drive around with them on anyway.

It all comes down to passing a cop who has the time and is in the mood to waste his time dealing with something like this knowing all along the driver should have known better in the first place. Usually resulting in a ticket. LOL

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My buddy had a Ford emblem on the tailgate of his Lightning that would light up blue, he got pulled over and was told to disconnect it. He was told that only emergency vehicles can have any blue lights on a car in Texas.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Reminds me of the LED windshield fluid nozzles I would see the ricers use around the late 90s/early 2000s. I bought a Nissan Maxima that had them - ripped them off immediately. I've never been a fan of extra exterior lighting and LEDs. That being said, it's hard to tell much about it given the darkness of the picture, but it seems like it would have looked better if it matched the amber light color of the front lights. Do you have anything else on your car which ties in with the blue accent?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May go with orange and move the blue under the seats to light the floor when you open the door.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
That looks great!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had no issues with the police.
I drive at night all the time and have been behind the police.
Rockwall County police are very tuff.

·
Registered
165 Posts
blue lights

Texas law says you must have a license plate on the front and the rear. I've never had one on the front and I've never been pulled over. The car looks better that way. Those lights look like running lights to me? They don't flash, so I'd not worry much about it unless an issue is made of it. They look cool to me.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,040 Posts
May go with orange and move the blue under the seats to light the floor when you open the door.
If you end up going with orange, tie them into the turn signals so they'll be functionally justified, eliminating worries about traffic stops.

I swapped out my turn signal bulbs for LED bulbs last year and put orange LED strips in the scoops at the same time to blink in parallel w/ turn signals, hazards, etc., and other than some troubles with wiring I caused myself, I've been very pleased with results.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,040 Posts
If you end up going with orange, tie them into the turn signals so they'll be functionally justified, eliminating worries about traffic stops.

I swapped out my turn signal bulbs for LED bulbs last year and put orange LED strips in the scoops at the same time to blink in parallel w/ turn signals, hazards, etc., and other than some troubles with wiring I caused myself, I've been very pleased with results.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts