Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Challenger R/T that has the Comp Cam 274 installed with all supporting mods (hardened push rods, springs, retainers). However, I am considering going the supercharger route. I know that the 274 is the most aggressive cam (besides custom) you can buy for the 5.7, so how will it work with a supercharger? What all would be needed to make it work? I would love to have the cam lope and supercharger together.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
938 Posts
It will work. You will need someone that really knows how to tune to keep it safe.

The blower tune that comes with the kit will be way off.

You should make really good power and be able to run more “boost” with the bigger cam.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Take it from someone with experience. I have a rowdy cam in my 6.1 at 12 lbs with a clutch car and it sucks
If it is a clutch car rethink it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 6 speed, and it already kind of sucks to drive daily. Wants to haul ass everywhere I go and if I drive politely it bucks like crazy. I live in Houston btw

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
It is a 6 speed, and it already kind of sucks to drive daily. Wants to haul ass everywhere I go and if I drive politely it bucks like crazy. I live in Houston btw

Well you answered that. Pull the cam it will be 10 times worse with the supercharger

Take a look st the new edelbrock 2650. Looks like a well engineered unit

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
Depends on your end goal. Sounds like its your DD so maybe a positive displacement SC would be best for your need. Maggies (roots blower) are quiet and reliable but don't yield as much power as a whipple or KB (both are compressors). The maggie kit is not as refined as the other but I like the raw look. A few whipple owners complain of a noisy (sounds like rocks rolling in the SC housing) with the AC on which shares the same belt as the SC.

If you plan an racing quite a bit you might want to go with a centripital supercharger like procharger which works well with water/meth injection which you can tune for to get more boost or use as an extra precaution.

I have a maggie and love it but if I was going to race I might have gone pro-charger.

I forgot the Edel system....Us1champ just mentioned. It is bigger than the maggie but smaller than the wipple and KB.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Pro charger will work better with a rowdy cam as they are not as INSTANT as say a magnuson or edelbrock or whipple

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I know the post is old but reaearching the super charger with the 274.. May want to check your tune.. I run the 274 phaser.. I had a tune and it bucked under 1500 rpm.. got a tune from HHP no issues.. I can actually idle in gear. Back to the supercharger.. looking at the grind on the 274 it has the right LSA to support boost so looking for anyone who has a tually done it

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
The latest beta version of HP tuners has a proportionality gain table which some have modified (set all values to 1.0) and reported it cured low throttle surge. BTW they have a new interface that supports bluetooth and starts at $299. They also have improved writes speeds through software upgrades and now my tunes load in ~15 seconds as opposed to ~45 seconds with the old interface.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,144 Posts
Without knowing the specs on the cam, it would be hard to say. There are too many variable just to base an answer off of the duration number. Things like LSA and overlap play a huge part of giving you an answer.

Do you have the cam card handy?

ChallyTatum: Thanks for the graph. If you look at the twin screw line on the graph, it pretty much follows the N/A line, but is elevated. I find that interesting.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
well coming from someone that has done similar it sucks to drive

i have a 6.1 with forged motor and cam ext and a magnuson.. cam is a 112 lsa and it is a 6 speed.. i made the mistake also of putting a fadanza alum flywheel on when i put the mcleod clutch in .

has 14 inches of vacuum at idle and if you BREATH ON IT WRONG it will burn tire trying to take off.. so keep in mind the rabbit hole you may go down.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
529 Posts
I had a comp 270 in mine with 8 psi it made around 570rwhp on a mustang Dyno. Driving around it was like a stock cam.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
529 Posts
I had a comp 270 in mine with 8 psi it made around 570rwhp on a mustang Dyno. Driving around it was like a stock cam.
Sounds past tense? Was it a 5.7L and if so did it hold up with the 570 RWHP?
it is past tense. Bad knee forced me to trade in on automatic TA 392. Car ran strong and was a safe tune. Traded in at Steve white motors. Yes it was a 5.7. the cam kit was a stage 2 scat pack from Mopar. They are comp 270s

1 - 17 of 17 Posts