Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has anyone added auto rain sensing wipers to their car, or know of anyone that has?

EDIT: i have successfully added the rain sensing intermittent wipers... the first and only challenger with them

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony...I saw you were planning on it on an earlier post and have been waiting to see the results.
just waiting on the lens for the infered sensor. but as you can see, i have the programming done. i bet i have the only challenger with the rain sensing wipers menu in their EVIC pages.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I bet your right. When we got my wife her Escalade it has them only nobody told us about it. She took it back and said there something wrong with the intermittent wipers, they go once then stop. LOL it took the dealer a little bit to figure it out also. It is kinda nice to have.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the rare few of us that have to drive our challengers everyday, it will surely come in handy. i wonder if it will ever be offered in the challenger?

Dodge, I know you're watching and expect to see it offered someday.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Rain sensors are one of those options I have on my wife's Volvo XC70 that I wish she DIDN'T have. I don't like them. With regular intermittent wipers, YOU are in control of how often they swipe and YOU can speed it up or slow it down.

With auto-sensing wipers, you no longer have that control. On my wife's car, there are days I have the sensitivity turned all the way down, yet they are swiping like crazy despite hardly any rain, but the next day I have to turn the sensitivity all the way up and they refuse to swipe even though you can barely see through the windshield because of all the rain on it. I then have to manually swipe them just to see where I'm going or turn them on continuously.

In this case, manual control is better in my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Rain sensors are one of those options I have on my wife's Volvo XC70 that I wish she DIDN'T have. I don't like them. With regular intermittent wipers, YOU are in control of how often they swipe and you can speed it up or slow it down.

With auto-sensing wipers, you no longer have that control. On my wife's car, there are days I have the sensitivity turned all the way down, yet they are swiping like crazy despite hardly any rain, but the next day I have to turn the sensitivity all the way up and they refuse to swipe even though you can barely see through the windshield because of all the rain on it. I then have to manually swipe them just to see where I'm going or turn them on continuously.

In this case, manual control is better in my humble opinion.
Not all rain sensing wipers work as poorly as they do on your wife's Volvo. I had them on a Grand Cherokee and really liked them. I missed them when I got my Charger a few years back.

Good luck with the Mod, hope it works out for you

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Not all rain sensing wipers work as poorly as they do on your wife's Volvo. I had them on a Grand Cherokee and really liked them. I missed them when I got my Charger a few years back.

Good luck with the Mod, hope it works out for you
And I bet some work even worse...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I doubt it, what else could really be worse than what you got going on in that POS Volvo???? :scratchhead:.
You tryin to start a fight friend?? That POS Volvo is one awesome car, and cost more than my Challenger did. It's the most reliable car I've ever driven and is way safer in a crash than a Challenger. Just cause you don't like Volvos doesn't mean everyone else has equal distain for them.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
You tryin to start a fight friend?? That POS Volvo is one awesome car, and cost more than my Challenger did. It's the most reliable car I've ever driven and is way safer in a crash than a Challenger. Just cause you don't like Volvos doesn't mean everyone else has equal distain for them.
LOL settle down, I was just busting your chops. I apologize if you took it the wrong way. No harm intended, just commenting on your faulty rain sensing wipers is all.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I had a couple of Volvos back in the day (1986-1991). They were both 740 Turbo station wagons; one, a '86; the other a '91. I drove the '86 when I was stationed in Norway for almost 2 winters and across Europe. Cruisin' the Autoban at 110 mph made me a little nervous. I drove the '91 from Houston to Denver, back to Austin; on on to Groton, CT. No problems with either one.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think rain sensing wipers are an option that when they work well, are very nice, but if they don't they're an aggravation. Hopefully your system will accurately sense moisture on the windshield and respond appropriately.

My wife's Lexus has them; that's my first experience with them. Sensor is behind the rear view mirror. I've heard there are often issues if the windshield is replaced with aftermarket. I hope I never have to deal with that.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
I have the rain-sensing wipers on my 'Benz - love that feature, esp. on those intermittent/misty days or when the rain volume varies a lot. Just turn it on, and not have to fuss with it.

You do have to keep the blade clean and the glass clean with the rain-sensing wiper systems, otherwise the sensor tends to swipe more than it needs to if things get smeary.

Are the rain sensors an option on the 300s? If I remember correctly...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought my Chally on a rainy day. I had the rain sensor installed when I bought it. I installed myself in the driver's seat and started her up. My eyes sensed rain on the windshield and my left hand automatically turned on the wipers to the required speed. My butt then sensed that forward motion was needed, so my left foot automatically depressed the clutch pedal, my right hand automatically placed the transmission in the correct gear, my left foot then automatically released the clutch at the amazing exact moment my right foot spontaneously stabbed the gas pedal. It's awesome what the human body does automatically for the brain!

Seriously, folks, after having 2 consecutive vehicles with rain sensing wipers, I refuse to ever buy another one again that has those. That is a technology that is still a loooong way from perfection. Besides, we Americans are just too coddled, fat and lazy. It was time to go old school again and that's exactly what I did. There is nothing like feeling connected to your car, connected to the road and connected to life!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I bought my Chally on a rainy day. I had the rain sensor installed when I bought it. I installed myself in the driver's seat and started her up. My eyes sensed rain on the windshield and my left hand automatically turned on the wipers to the required speed. My butt then sensed that forward motion was needed, so my left foot automatically depressed the clutch pedal, my right hand automatically placed the transmission in the correct gear, my left foot then automatically released the clutch at the amazing exact moment my right foot spontaneously stabbed the gas pedal. It's awesome what the human body does automatically for the brain!

Seriously, folks, after having 2 consecutive vehicles with rain sensing wipers, I refuse to ever buy another one again that has those. That is a technology that is still a loooong way from perfection. Besides, we Americans are just too coddled, fat and lazy. It was time to go old school again and that's exactly what I did. There is nothing like feeling connected to your car, connected to the road and connected to life!
+1....all I need is "intermittent"...I set the speed/done:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
There are other merits to the rain sense wipers. For example, if your windshield is splashed with water because of a car that drove through a puddle. While driving this can be quite dangerous. The rain sense wipers, if working properly, will kick on immediately and clear your windshield. The time it takes you to react to do this manually, while you may be in a panic mode, is reason enough to have them installed IMO.

I realize all the Challenger drivers on this forum are pros and don't need this option, but you never know if you're wife, girlfriend, kids, husband, or boyfriend is driving your car and not as quick as you to react.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the chrysler 300 has this as an option. it is basically Mercedes electronics. as you can see in my EVIC page, the rain sensing wipers can easily be turned off with the steering wheel controls.

i don't know if i will like it. i've never had this feature before.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts