Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've read a few threads on adding foglights to our 2011's. People who have done it for their 2010's say to just buy the Charger kit and you're good to go. But the instructions for the 2011 Charger Fog light kit show a round switch that obviously won't work with our cars.

So, anyone who owns a 2011, and has sucessfully installed working fog lights on their car, please give us any info you can. Was it a kit? Or individual parts? Part numbers please, either way. Bought it from ebay? Link please, or the name of the seller?

I've added the fog light kit on a 2007 PT Cruiser, where the wiring was already there, just install the lights and the switch and you're done. I've also installed the fog light kit on my 2006 Charger SE, and had to do the complete job, which wasn't too bad. It is definetly worth the cost and time to do it.

Thanks for any help;
Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Scott,

I just bought the kit directly from the dealer and it cost me about $150 after taxes. I have been told, by the dealer, that the cabling is already there for our cars (2011 SE), and the kit includes the light switch.. Any ways I will be installing mine during the weekend, I will let you know then what is the deal.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Scott,

I just bought the kit directly from the dealer and it cost me about $150 after taxes. I have been told, by the dealer, that the cabling is already there for our cars (2011 SE), and the kit includes the light switch.. Any ways I will be installing mine during the weekend, I will let you know then what is the deal.
Thanks Nefalim, after I posted this thread, I called 2 dealer parts departments, one said that Chrysler won't be coming out with this, because the whole front fascia would have to be changed! (WTH?). The second one said, (after checking) that they just aren't out yet.

I wish you luck with your install, remember to give us the part numbers!!! Thanks again;

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got the part number!!

Lamps: 5182025AA
Switch: 68029265AC

I will try to get pics of the installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
looking forward to pics.

Also does your SE have auto head lamps? Mine does not so I would need to install the new switch into the dash I assume? There is not an option for fog lights on my current switch

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got mine off Ebay for $125.00 and free shipping. I installed them myself in about 20 mins, but you have to take it to the dealer to have them activated and that'll cost you anywhere from $25 to $75 depending on dealership.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to post, but I have been pretty busy lately...
Well the installation itself took me about 20 mins, and it was extremely easy. I found a trick that will make the installation a lot easier.
Instructions says that you have to take the front lip and the bottom cover, but believe me when I tell you, that will be a pain in the neck since there are at least 10 screws that need to come off, plus a whole bunch on clips. I found that by taking off the clips by the side of the tire (on both sides) you will be able to gain access to the fog lamp covers and the wiring hardness. By doing it this way you guys will have it done in no time.

Here are a couple of pics of the where the clips are and how the car looks.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m624/kalaweya/IMAG0236-1.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m624/kalaweya/IMAG0238.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m624/kalaweya/IMAG0237.jpg

By the way before I forget, after the installation you will have to take the car to the dealer so they can enable the fog lamps in the computer. This process took about 15 mins, and the dealer did not charge me a thing.

Good luck with your installation.....

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great job Nefalim!!!

Is there a part number for the kit you ordered? I notice that the switch even has the chrome ring around it, which might mean this is specifically for the Challenger.

Mikey: thanks for the post, the part number for the kit seems to be for pre-2011 chargers. Are you absolutely sure that this can be used on the 2011 Challengers? Supposedly, the wiring has been changed?

Thanks for the posts guys!

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great job Nefalim!!!

I notice that the switch even has the chrome ring around it, which might mean this is specifically for the Challenger.

Scott
Not only that, I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but the switch also has the automatic headlight "A" feature, and it works.

Here are the part numbers.

Fog Lamps: 5182025AA (You are going to need 2)

Switch: 68029265AC

I bought the kit from the dealer and it cost me about $ 120.00 after taxes.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the kit from the dealer and it cost me about $ 120.00 after taxes.

Please look at the receipt you got from the dealer and get the kit part number. I appreciate that you gave us the part numbers of each item, but the kit part number would be most helpful.

The reason the instructions would have had you taking all that apart was because those instructions are for cars that need the cableing to be installed.

Thanks again;
Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please look at the receipt you got from the dealer and get the kit part number.
I looked at the invoice and it was not a kit for it, it was just the part numbers I posted before.

The reason the instructions would have had you taking all that apart was because those instructions are for cars that need the cableing to be installed.
Yeap, I am pretty sure that is what happened.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK! Picked up the parts today from the dealer:

Switch w/foglights w/auto headlights Part# 68029265AC
2-Fog Lamps Part# 5182025AA
4-Screws Part# 6506579AA (2 per lamp)
$149.32 after taxes

Thanks for the part numbers Nefalim, and thanks for your pictures. I opened the inner fenders as you show, although I took off the tire, which gave me more room. Pop out the blanks, put the 2 screws in the new lamps, plug in the wiring, which was hanging right there, then close up the inner fenders. Pop out the old switch, unplug it, plug in the new switch, pop it into place, done!

I still have to activate the fog lights at a dealer, but all the other lights work, and the "auto" setting seems to work, it was dark when I finished and switching to auto, the lights came right on.

Scott

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Success!!!

Went to a dealer in Tampa this afternoon, and they activated the foglights.

The only disappointment is that I had to call 4 dealers, and the 3 closest to me quoted me 1 hour of labor at $100 to "hook up to the computer and reprogram the car". You mean, go through a couple of menu screens and enable foglights? I've seen it done in the past, guy took 10 minutes, including the time to plug in the cable to the car. Yeah, I know you're also paying for the computer, the building, lights etc. etc. but come on!

So the 4th dealer only charged me 1/2 hour, $50. Same day service, it's done, so we're happy.

Too bad I never heard back from Speedlogix, they were supposed to call me back........

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Success!!!

Went to a dealer in Tampa this afternoon, and they activated the foglights.

The only disappointment is that I had to call 4 dealers, and the 3 closest to me quoted me 1 hour of labor at $100 to "hook up to the computer and reprogram the car". You mean, go through a couple of menu screens and enable foglights? I've seen it done in the past, guy took 10 minutes, including the time to plug in the cable to the car. Yeah, I know you're also paying for the computer, the building, lights etc. etc. but come on!

So the 4th dealer only charged me 1/2 hour, $50. Same day service, it's done, so we're happy.

Too bad I never heard back from Speedlogix, they were supposed to call me back........

Scott
Good to know everything worked out for you Scott, glad to be of service. Too bad you had to pay the dealer for the computer work!

·
Registered
32 Posts

By the way before I forget, after the installation you will have to take the car to the dealer so they can enable the fog lamps in the computer. This process took about 15 mins, and the dealer did not charge me a thing.

How did you approach the dealer to get them activated. I've called 3 different dealers and the all tell me that it's an hour labor anywhere from $85-$120 plus tax and all that nonsense. $85 dollars for a 15 min job is outrageous.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How did you approach the dealer to get them activated. I've called 3 different dealers and the all tell me that it's an hour labor anywhere from $85-$120 plus tax and all that nonsense. $85 dollars for a 15 min job is outrageous.
Yes it is outrageous, but you need them to do this. Keep looking, I don't know how many dealers you have around your area, but it's worth an internet search and a few phone calls. The dealer you should be able to make some headway with is the dealer you bought the car from, or where you pay to get service done.

They can somewhat justify the expense by saying that they have to pay for the computer system, the mechanic to do the work, the lights, taxes for the facilities etc. I still think they're going too far....

Scott

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.