Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever do this to quiet down all of that cacophony in the valveheads? Does it even quiet it down? Most importantly, does it affect the behavior of mds engagement?

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
I wouldnt put it in. MDS requires a certain weight to function properly. Lucas additive will thicken the oil drastically. Most of the chatter you hear is your injectors

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my take on it, as well...the oil thickening has got to affect the mds functionality in some way, but I really have no idea. The only catch I can think of where it may not apply as directly as we suspect is that the "thickening" isn't the typical kind of change that we liken to a viscosity change. It's more like a long-chain polymer "gooyiness" (a stringiness that fills the air space tolerances vs. fluid thickness with actual shear properties), rather than an actual change in viscosity (which I gather is the critical element that affects the mds lifters). I could be wrong on all of that, though. I was just curious if anyone has ever tried it.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
Its really designed for diesels. The tolerances are much more liberal to heavy oil. The polymer in it is designed to "stick" to bearings to prevent dry start in diesels because they run at 18:1+ compression ratio and are brutal at start up

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The starter motor on a diesel must look like the thing that propels a Prius! ;)

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
LOL its not that much bigger than a regular, but it takes a lot of juice to turn over hence the dual 1000 CC amp batteries and engine warmers.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean I can't use my little red portable starter pack to jump it? ;) (That thing couldn't even turn over my old GM v6)

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
LOL 70TA-09RT Jeff carries one of those around! He drains his battery down running his Halos all the time parked, guess who has to jump him off?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts