Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack triple nickel 6 speed manual.
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering if it’s possible to add Navigation to my non nav 8.4 head. My car is a new 2019 scat pac...I know I can use Apple car play for navigation...was just curious about paying the dealer to unlock it if possible....thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Actually, no, you cannot add navigation to the 2017+ (or maybe it's 2018+?) non-Nav headunits. You could on the older ones, but not on the newer ones - it's literally not possible - you have to actually replace the non-nav head-unit with a nav version of the head-unit - you can no longer just pay a fee to activate the nav...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Actually, no, you cannot add navigation to the 2017+ (or maybe it's 2018+?) non-Nav headunits. You could on the older ones, but not on the newer ones - it's literally not possible - you have to actually replace the non-nav head-unit with a nav version of the head-unit - you can no longer just pay a fee to activate the nav...
Well,.now I know... Thanks didn't realize that you couldn't add that feature anymore. Tks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,570 Posts
Yes, adding factory nav to your car is possible, but it is not feasible for mist folks due to the excessive cost and labor/parts required.

I say excessive because, for what the factory nav delivers in comparison to your phone’s nav capabilities, you do not get much value for the money spent to do it.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
179 Posts
Hey guys I was wondering if it’s possible to add Navigation to my non nav 8.4 head. My car is a new 2019 scat pac...I know I can use Apple car play for navigation...was just curious about paying the dealer to unlock it if possible....thanks
Edited....I posted a YouTube video but then noticed you said NON 8.4.

If you do have a 8.4 screen then try this. I have a 2018 and I can add it.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
134 Posts
Interesting that uconnect says that I can add mine for 595 or thereabouts online. At least that was the impression I got. I use Android auto anyway.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Edited....I posted a YouTube video but then noticed you said NON 8.4.

If you do have a 8.4 screen then try this. I have a 2018 and I can add it.
That video is copyright 2017 and I bet applies only to 2015 and 2016 models.

Interesting that uconnect says that I can add mine for 595 or thereabouts online.
You have a 2019 right? Where do you see this? Because I don't think it can be done,. 2016 was the last year for the simple dealer added NAV far as I know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
That video is copyright 2017 and I bet applies only to 2015 and 2016 models.

Give it a try if you want it.

You have a 2019 right? Where do you see this? Because I don't think it can be done,. 2016 was the last year for the simple dealer added NAV far as I know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I went thru the steps like it shows and I could of added it for $495 something like that back in December. I have a 2018.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,570 Posts
With the factory nav being so inferior to the various phone appa, why would adding factory nav even be a concern?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
Yes, adding factory nav to your car is possible, but it is not feasible for mist folks....
What the fog, and you give me a hard time about mispelling mangement.

As for Nav, here is the thread stating it is not possible on the newer headunits.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,570 Posts
What the fog, and you give me a hard time about mispelling mangement.

As for Nav, here is the thread stating it is not possible on the newer headunits.
Don’t marginalize the mist folks, they’ll come out of the fog and take your life.

There’s even been a couple documentaries on them over the years.

I remember one from the 80s that had @A Guy’s boyhood crush Madeline Marlow...I think that was her name, hell I can’t remember...the female protagonist in Swamp Thing, that’s who I’m talking about.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
Don’t marginalize the mist folks, they’ll come out of the fog and take your life.

There’s even been a couple documentaries on them over the years.

I remember one from the 80s that had @A Guy’s boyhood crush Madeline Marlow...I think that was her name, hell I can’t remember...the female protagonist in Swamp Thing, that’s who I’m talking about.
I must have mist those documentaries...as for the 80's...that was not mist but hair spray...poor ozone, wonder how it's doing?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,570 Posts
I must have mist those documentaries...as for the 80's...that was not mist but hair spray...poor ozone, wonder how it's doing?
the one by me is doing fine.

I was in there the other day to get some parts for my cousin’s Dakota. I’m not normally a fan of Duralast brand parts, but this is a ‘97 2WD Dakota with the 4 cylinder, so it just ain’t worth buying the high dollar stuff for...

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I added it to my 2015 Challenger and my 2017 Jeep only because I was tired of having to use it on my phone and could only stream music from my phone to hear music and the directions from google maps. I either car would have had built in Android Auto and Car Play, I never would have done it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I went thru the steps like it shows and I could of added it for $495 something like that back in December. I have a 2018.
Did you buy your car new or used? If you bought it used, I guess it's possible that someone upgraded from a 7" or even 5" radio and installed an older 8.4" unit from a pre-2017 Challenger...

Does AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay work on your unit? My understanding is that you either have one or the other - either the headunit is older and supports that paid NAV upgrade or it's a newer model that supports AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay. I don't think any unit supports both the paid NAV upgrade and AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay.

Also - do you have 2 USB ports and a headphone jack in your console?

I just checked the non-NAV headunit in my 2018 and I do NOT get the option to enable NAV. Here are some screenshots from the head-unit after going into the dealer manu (hold down driver temp up + driver temp down + front defrost until the Dealer menu comes up).

I'd be curious to compare the part number info from yours. Also, if you post a pic of the main screen, you can usually tell just from that if it's an older unit or newer unit (the interface is slightly different).

Here is a pic of what my main screen looks like:

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
Hi yzf1999, you are not able to add navigation to 2019 Challengers, if your vehicle is not equipped with it before delivery.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
179 Posts
Did you buy your car new or used? If you bought it used, I guess it's possible that someone upgraded from a 7" or even 5" radio and installed an older 8.4" unit from a pre-2017 Challenger...

Does AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay work on your unit? My understanding is that you either have one or the other - either the headunit is older and supports that paid NAV upgrade or it's a newer model that supports AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay. I don't think any unit supports both the paid NAV upgrade and AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay.

Also - do you have 2 USB ports and a headphone jack in your console?

I just checked the non-NAV headunit in my 2018 and I do NOT get the option to enable NAV. Here are some screenshots from the head-unit after going into the dealer manu (hold down driver temp up + driver temp down + front defrost until the Dealer menu comes up).

I'd be curious to compare the part number info from yours. Also, if you post a pic of the main screen, you can usually tell just from that if it's an older unit or newer unit (the interface is slightly different).

Here is a pic of what my main screen looks like:

Got it used but it's a part of the package . I have the original sticker. The Nav was never activated so I don't use it. I use Android Auto and Waze instead.
But I can activate it, just don't want to pay the $500 when I can use something else for free.
I didn't drive my car today so I can't take pics.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It almost sounds like maybe there are some units out there running older software code/BIOS or something that still had the VP3 NAV activation option in the menus. But I'd bet that it doesn't actually work since the newer UAS headunit (non-NAV) simply doesn't have the hardware to support "built-in" navigation. You need the UAQ head-unit for "built-in" navigation.

EIther that or there are some VP3/VP4 unis that actually support AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay, but I haven't seen that either...

We should be able to tell more once we see some of the screenshots.

I'd also be curious to see what the window sticker says (does it say 8.4A, 8.4C, etc). Although, we've also seen the window stickers have 100% wrong info on them as well, so there is that... :)

Curious to see what happens with this.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It almost sounds like maybe there are some units out there running older software code/BIOS or something that still had the VP3 NAV activation option in the menus. But I'd bet that it doesn't actually work since the newer UAS headunit (non-NAV) simply doesn't have the hardware to support "built-in" navigation. You need the UAQ head-unit for "built-in" navigation.

EIther that or there are some VP3/VP4 unis that actually support AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay, but I haven't seen that either...

We should be able to tell more once we see some of the screenshots.

I'd also be curious to see what the window sticker says (does it say 8.4A, 8.4C, etc). Although, we've also seen the window stickers have 100% wrong info on them as well, so there is that... :)

Curious to see what happens with this.
My window sticker just says 8.4 screen, doesn't give a letter after it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts