Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this project is officially underway. if i am successful here, i will add a write-up to this thread. this is a peek at what i am starting with. anyone know what i am thinking and doing here?

·
Banned
368 Posts
yep, if you are near your locked car with your fob in your pocket, all you need to do is press a little button on the handle of the car and voila, it unlocks the door

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the answer is: i am using door handles from two different cars, neither is from a challenger, then mate the two and bear a passive drivers door handle for my challenger.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've already tried doing this once by kind of 'jumping' a key fob. I took an RF transmitter and receiver, put the receiver in the fob and whenever it hooked up with the transmitter it completed the circuit for the unlock button. The idea was to hide a button under the door handle and then leave the transmitter in the door. By using the fob, I'm assured about the same level of security I have now. (unless the fob is within 15-20 feet and someone knows about the button there shouldn't be an issue) Unfortunately the fob drained a 2032 battery in just a few days, so I never installed the button. Worked great though. I know some of the Viper alarms have two-way communication, but those batteries really don't last that long either and I'd prefer a solution that doesn't have me swapping batteries every 6 weeks.

I also would like to keep the look of my baby the same without any externally visible buttons or handle changes. I'm looking into another option, just not sure when I'll get around to messing with it again. Keep us updated, would love to see how yours turns out!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
It sounds like a really cool idea, but why?

·
Registered
504 Posts
SWEEEET, thanks SS,ive been waiting for you to do this,i allready scooped up 2 WK (2011 grand Cherokee) handles,what else will i need?? are you using your stock fob? keep me posted on your progress...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It sounds like a really cool idea, but why?
We are already half way there...we already have push start, so why the heck should we require to take our keys out of our pockets just to unlock the car? We don't need to do that to start it...my moms 6 year old infinti has this feature..quite sad Dodge still isn't up to it.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've already tried doing this once by kind of 'jumping' a key fob. I took an RF transmitter and receiver, put the receiver in the fob and whenever it hooked up with the transmitter it completed the circuit for the unlock button. The idea was to hide a button under the door handle and then leave the transmitter in the door. By using the fob, I'm assured about the same level of security I have now. (unless the fob is within 15-20 feet and someone knows about the button there shouldn't be an issue) Unfortunately the fob drained a 2032 battery in just a few days, so I never installed the button. Worked great though. I know some of the Viper alarms have two-way communication, but those batteries really don't last that long either and I'd prefer a solution that doesn't have me swapping batteries every 6 weeks.

I also would like to keep the look of my baby the same without any externally visible buttons or handle changes. I'm looking into another option, just not sure when I'll get around to messing with it again. Keep us updated, would love to see how yours turns out!

that way you have no security. with the passive entry system, it is completely wireless. the button is dead unless it sees the key FOBIK.

i will need to add two more LF antenna for the system to work. since i am using the PEM (passive entry module) that is already installed, it will work with the original FOBIKs. and if the FOBIK are not within two feet from the car, the passive button is dead. once the FOBIK is near enough, you can press the passive button to unlock or lock and set the alarm.

why do i want this? i never have to touch a key (FOBIK) to open the doors or start the car and i have complete security. this is only allow if the FOBIK in your pocket.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's just as secure as using the fob, no? The car sends a signal to the fob which turns around and sends it's normal unlock signal back. If the fob isn't within range to do that, then nothing happens. Actually, it would need to be closer because the transmitter only goes ~15 feet. Absolute worst case scenario is that someone knows I'm using it, listens for the signal, copies it, waits for my fob to be within operating range but out of visual range (~50 feet or so in my house) and then sends me the signal to unlock the car. All in all, it's easier to break the window.

Right now, I'm also wondering if since the 2011's are going to have it, if it might be easier / better to see if they will sell the spare parts needed. I don't like the new door handle as much, but again you can hide the button anywhere. (likely under the handle)

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i am using the left rear door handle from an '09 charger for the blank. i will add the passive button (from a 2011 cherokee drivers door handle) where the key hole would be...

·
Registered
225 Posts
i am using the left rear door handle from an '09 charger for the blank. i will add the passive button where the key hole would be...
I don't know about yours but mine doesn't have a key hole on the passenger's side. A dead battery would make for a bad day.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know about yours but mine doesn't have a key hole on the passenger's side. A dead battery would make for a bad day.
i drive mine everyday, so the odds of waking up to a dead battery over night are pretty slim. it is no different than any car with shaved door handles.

if anyone has a better idea on where to put the passive button, i am all ears.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...since the 2011's are going to have it, if it might be easier / better to see if they will sell the spare parts needed. I don't like the new door handle as much, but again you can hide the button anywhere. (likely under the handle)
the 2011 challenger door handle will not fit our doors. so i bought a 2011 Jeep Cherokee door handle and took the switch out of it. i will add it to the charger's keyless rear door handle.

the rest of the install will be the same as the factory installed system on the 2011 challenger. if dodge didn't change the door handles, it would have been a lot easier to add to the '09s like mine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm wondering how they put it in. I would assume that the only difference in the door handle is the button with a cable to the actual passive entry module and all of the sensors and electronics would be in the door. Of course, this might make too much sense and is likely not all that was changed. :p

Anyway, were that the case, it would be nice to buy the new passive entry module and make your own button in your existing handle.

As for button location, I was thinking of putting it under the handle so it's out of the way and a little more 'weather proof'. The other idea which is a bit harder but certainly cooler is to put in a resistance touch switch on the back side of the actual handle. Go to open the handle, close the switch, unlock the doors, and pull. It would be about as passive as you can get since there are no buttons to press. **EDIT - You could also run the switch the length of the handle, and 'snake' it back and forth to make sure it would activate anywhere you put your hand.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there is a problem with having the passive switch on the backside of the pull. if the doors are already unlocked and you grab the pull to open the door, it will lock before you can open it.

the passive switch will unlock a locked door and lock an unlocked door. that is the nature of the design. now you see why the passive isn't located on the backside of any factory install system.

i see only two choices for location. one is where the lock cylinder would be, and the other would be in the cup part of the handle assembly, not the pull.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hmm... that's annoying. If there's not some way around that I would try to hide the button behind the handle or as you say on the bottom of the cup. I just wouldn't want to cover up the only manual way to get into my car. :p

·
Registered
504 Posts
when my wife and i took the 11 grand Cherokee for a test drive last week, as i put my hand up to grab the door handle,it unlocked by itself? i locked it by pressing the button on the handle and tried again, each time it unlocked just as i was grabbing the handle,not pressing the button,does the jeep use some sort of resistance or touch sensor??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts