Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to order the Mopar 08 Remote Start kit (key fobs\antenna\switch\instructions) since my buddy is coming into town and is a wiz at stuff like this, anything I should know prior to ordering, any tips etc? It seems pretty straight forward, he's installed Viper alarms so I'm imagining this will be a cake walk for him, but just double checking, do I have to make a dealer trip afterwards?

·
Registered
76 Posts
you'll need to get your dealer to add the sales code (XBM) to your config file and then restore vehicle configuration before you replace the WIN (wireless ignition node).
also, once WIN is replaced, your dealer needs to program it to your car and program the keys to the new WIN or you car won't even start.
that being said, unless you plan to do this in your dealer's parking lot, you might want to check into having them install it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you'll need to get your dealer to add the sales code (XBM) to your config file and then restore vehicle configuration before you replace the WIN (wireless ignition node).
also, once WIN is replaced, your dealer needs to program it to your car and program the keys to the new WIN or you car won't even start.
that being said, unless you plan to do this in your dealer's parking lot, you might want to check into having them install it.
Ok...considering I read through the mystery mod thread, this seems quite odd to me as a ton of users were just buying the hood switch, and fobs, then going to the dealer to get it activated (via starscan) what is this about WIN replacement? o_O

·
Registered
76 Posts
just going by installation in an LX. LC may be different because of passive entry. does yours have passive entry? on LXs, the WIN is different to accomodate the remote start antenna which has to be added and plugs into the WIN.
let me get install instructions.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mine's an SRT-8 so it has the keyless go win already installed...I don't believe anyone with that package needs a new WIN...otherwise I wouldn't be bothering with this, but it's the first I've heard of it.. :-\

That PDF talks about removing the friggin' dash, I have NEVER heard of that...My understand is all we need is the hood switch and new key fobs, after that you take it to the dealer and they change settings with the Starscan and voila.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/mystery-mod-16323/index21.html

"did you know that the remote start is already built into these cars? you just need a 5 button fobik and a $10 hood safety switch. (don't want to accidently start the motor while working under the hood) then the dealer can activate the system with their starscan tool."

The only reason you would need a new WIN is if you didn't have the push-start (Wireless) package.

·
Registered
76 Posts
wow, that's quite the long thread. i got some reading to do.
if Tony says it'll work, you can pretty much bank on it.
guess i learnt something today. that's why i love online forums. :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
wow, that's quite the long thread. i got some reading to do.
if Tony says it'll work, you can pretty much bank on it.
guess i learnt something today. that's why i love online forums. :)
Yeah, all you need is the key fob, and hood switch, and a dealer that'll enter the code, it's built into the Challengers so wewt!

Only part I'm confused about is I thought you could re-program the new fobiks, as long as you have two of your current fobiks...

*Edit* Heres what I found..you do have to have two original fobiks to program...
Customer Key Programming
If you have two valid RKE transmitters with integrated
keys, you can program new transmitters to the system by
performing the following steps:
1. Insert the first valid integrated key into the ignition
switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position for
at least three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove
the first key.
2. Insert the second valid integrated key and turn the
ignition switch to the ON position within 15 seconds.
After 10 seconds, a chime will sound and the Vehicle
Security Alarm Indicator Light will begin to flash. Turn
the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the
second key.
3. Insert a blank integrated key into the ignition switch
and turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 60
seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound and
the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will stop
flashing, turn the ignition switch on again for three
seconds, and then turn it off.
The new integrated key is programmed. The Remote
Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter will also be programmed
during this procedure.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
you need the hood switch, wire harness is already there.
you will need just the rubber inserts for the FOBIKS (5-button ones)
and you will need to add the sales XBM.

that is all i would do if i had an '08 SRT challenger.

this technique makes it really simple for the dealer and you can do the install at home and still drive the car without programming. if you buy the kit and change all those parts, you will not be able to start the car until the dealer programs the keys to the WIN and adds the sales code for remote start.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
the only thing i don't like about mine is you have to be close to the car. the 09 i can sit in the house and it will work.
i guess the 08 needs a better atenna

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
the only thing i don't like about mine is you have to be close to the car. the 09 i can sit in the house and it will work.

you can change out the WIN antenna for a long range remote start antenna. requires no programming.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, all you need is the key fob, and hood switch, and a dealer that'll enter the code, it's built into the Challengers so wewt!

Only part I'm confused about is I thought you could re-program the new fobiks, as long as you have two of your current fobiks...

*Edit* Heres what I found..you do have to have two original fobiks to program...
that can be done as long as you don't replace the WIN.

i'll assume that this method of adding remote start only uses the WIN's built in antenna (used for RKE functions) to recieve remote start requests. this would severely limit range.

you can change out the WIN antenna for a long range remote start antenna. requires no programming.
again, not sure about LCs but on LX, the long range remote start antenna requires WIN replacement as the original WIN does not provide an antenna connection.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that can be done as long as you don't replace the WIN.

i'll assume that this method of adding remote start only uses the WIN's built in antenna (used for RKE functions) to recieve remote start requests. this would severely limit range.

again, not sure about LCs but on LX, the long range remote start antenna requires WIN replacement as the original WIN does not provide an antenna connection.
I understand the range limit, but could one please verify that we don't have a spot for the antenna? I'm figuring if I have to be (like I do to unlock my car) 10 feet away, it's not that worth it...

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
all challengers have an external antenna plugged into the WIN module. yes, there is also a built-in antenna for keyless entry. there are at least two different external antennas that can be plugged in. ask for the long range one.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
...again, not sure about LCs but on LX, the long range remote start antenna requires WIN replacement as the original WIN does not provide an antenna connection.

not on the challengers. all challengers have the WIN module with an external antenna plugged into it already.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok good I can just upgrade to the better antenna later then right? That's what I'll do thanks S/S!

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
is the antenna behind the glove box?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts