Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever upgraded their stock suspension Challenger R/T by adding the STP components? If you have would you please elaborate on exactly what parts you changed and an approximate cost to do this?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

TIA.

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
4 springs, 4 shocks, sway bars, different steering components, different brakes, etc

the smart thing to do is to upgrade instead of concentrating on matching, would recommend stage one springs and Bilsteins shocks and struts, acr stage 2 sway bars

springs when available 220.00
shocks 550.00
acr sway bars 450.00

by the way the rear sway bar is a bear to change

Luke

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upgrading isn't an option, mine is a '13 with less than 1500 miles on the clock so the loss I would take on a trade up puts me in a sticky situation.

But, thank you for your response, I would imagine that the brakes would be a logical place to start since they are probably the most expensive things to upgrade.

Lots to think about, but you're right and if things were different I would just trade up. 2015 is coming too so let's see what things are like then.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Luke didn't mean upgrading for another car, but for better parts than the STP factory ones. Beat the STP instead of matching it part for part.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Yep

If you are going to spend $$$, might as well get the good stuff...

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luke didn't mean upgrading for another car, but for better parts than the STP factory ones. Beat the STP instead of matching it part for part.
Duh... Thanks for setting me straight.

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
I would imagine that the brakes would be a logical place to start since they are probably the most expensive things to upgrade.
Think the brakes themselves are the same, and that only the brake pads on the STP are different. Part number confirmations should be easy with your dealer parts man.

Also one thing factory STP automatic cars had was the ability to go full off on the ESP. All SRT's and 6-speed R/T's can all do this already but the only way the R/T automatic could do it was to order STP.

EDIT: Ok Duh's on me now....I see you have a 6-speed.

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
Upgrading isn't an option, mine is a '13 with less than 1500 miles on the clock so the loss I would take on a trade up puts me in a sticky situation.

But, thank you for your response, I would imagine that the brakes would be a logical place to start since they are probably the most expensive things to upgrade.

Lots to think about, but you're right and if things were different I would just trade up. 2015 is coming too so let's see what things are like then.

sorry, did not mean to trade vehicles, but upgrade components, instead of trying to match components
Luke

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
Think the brakes themselves are the same, and that only the brake pads on the STP are different. Part number confirmations should be easy with your dealer parts man.

Also one thing factory STP automatic cars had was the ability to go full off on the ESP. All SRT's and 6-speed R/T's can all do this already but the only way the R/T automatic could do it was to order STP.

EDIT: Ok Duh's on me now....I see you have a 6-speed.
not necessarily on the brakes, you can have 3 different levels

BR3 - STANDARD 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES

BR5 - PERFORMANCE BRAKES 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES

BR6 - HD 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES ( STP OPTION )

ALSO

BR4 - BREMBO ( FOUND ON SRT ONLY )

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What is the difference between BR5 and BR6?

Luke, I see that your eBay store has complete sets of the sway bars and shocks rather than buying separate pieces. Does MoPar offer a conversion "kit" to go from BR5 to BR6 or are the parts all sold separately?

·
Registered
258 Posts
not necessarily on the brakes, you can have 3 different levels

BR3 - STANDARD 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES

BR5 - PERFORMANCE BRAKES 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES

BR6 - HD 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES ( STP OPTION )

ALSO

BR4 - BREMBO ( FOUND ON SRT ONLY )
I wonder what the difference is between the 3. Pad compound and valving,or physical difference?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
/QUOTE]

My RT is a 6M and I can't go full off ESP, unless I'm doing it wrong?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quick touch of the button turns off traction control, holding the button down in a few seconds will turn off ESP, or about 80% of it as has been posted in other threads.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Thank you sooooo much! I can't believe I was only using partial TCS and thought only "Super Track Pack" cars had full off! I tried it this morning and sure enough, it went full off! When I tried it before I was moving and that's why it wouldn't activate. Now my tires are gonna wear out even faster.

I apologize to the OP for this digression.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Out of curiosity regarding the 'variable' STP steering...does this still use the electric power steering pump as on the standard R/T, or go back to an engine driven pump?

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
Thank you sooooo much! I can't believe I was only using partial TCS and thought only "Super Track Pack" cars had full off! I tried it this morning and sure enough, it went full off! When I tried it before I was moving and that's why it wouldn't activate. Now my tires are gonna wear out even faster.

I apologize to the OP for this digression.
Yeah isn't it great? I drive mine in this mode most of the time and it does run better I believe. The 6-speed cars got a lot of love from Dodge and am very glad I got one.

Out of curiosity regarding the 'variable' STP steering...does this still use the electric power steering pump as on the standard R/T, or go back to an engine driven pump?
I think the earlier STP cars held on to the engine driven pump longer but now they are also electric (think the SRT will be electric for 2015 too). Not sure exactly when they changed, 2013? maybe, but for 2014 all electric.

Here's a build sheet of an Anniversary STP:

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=2C3CDYBT9EH218744

1 - 17 of 17 Posts